North Shore short term rental debacle boils over - winter pro circus threatened - Backpackers DONE?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If it was all about me it would be Maui for sure. I could knock golf at Kapalua and surf at Honolua off the bucket list.
Went in December 2019 to score some 8 to 10 foot Honolua and some guys I went with golfed Kapalua (I don't golf). They said Kapalua was worth it. Honolua is amazing. Crowd is about as bad as it gets but the wave is perfect. It's just perfect. Even at 10 foot, it was the most perfect wave I've ever seen. You can ride your regular shortboard. Got kegged a few times, but that crowd is so nuts. I'm glad I scored it, but I'll never go back.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Any town < 5 miles from the beach or < 10 miles from a ski resort has to deal with short-term rentals and the hurt they put on most long-time residents. IMO in most single-family residential areas they should be mostly forbidden. I think Honolulu County's solution to herd all the tourists into designated zones (Waikiki) makes it suck to be a visitor but is a big win for local residents.

People who live in locations where nobody wants to visit don't have an Airbnb problem.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Went in December 2019 to score some 8 to 10 foot Honolua and some guys I went with golfed Kapalua (I don't golf). They said Kapalua was worth it. Honolua is amazing. Crowd is about as bad as it gets but the wave is perfect. It's just perfect. Even at 10 foot, it was the most perfect wave I've ever seen. You can ride your regular shortboard. Got kegged a few times, but that crowd is so nuts. I'm glad I scored it, but I'll never go back.
Still never done it! Bucket list for sure, and I better hurry because the bucket is developing a slow leak haha

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's a world class wave. First day was 10 foot on the sets (they ran Jaws that day) then it got smaller every day but still so fun. I'll never forget the first 10 foot set I saw when I got out. Mesmerizing how perfect it broke. And Tanner getting barreled on a regular shortboard. The way it's set up though, it's so easy to get out. Kooks can get out without even duckdiving. So you can imagine what the crowd is like.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I have seen images of Clay Marzo surfing a very hollow left on Maui that is the sort of wave we'd be looking for. No idea the name of the break or the likelihood of getting it like the pictures I've seen. This place.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
i too have those 2 same items on mine
I had a trip to Maui 14 years or so ago where I was able to do just that. Kapalua was just so incredible. That 18th hole, monster drive with the trades, downhill, ball seemed to go forever. Beautiful course.

Honolua bay was also incredible, although only got it chest high with a few head high sets. Still fun, though, and so beautiful.

Maui :waving:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
have "surfed" Honolua head high + for a couple days in a row. crowd was mental and being a haole i barely got anything like you see in the vids but the potential is ridiculous. perfect wave in every aspect especially for regular-footer.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
have "surfed" Honolua head high + for a couple days in a row. crowd was mental and being a haole i barely got anything like you see in the vids but the potential is ridiculous. perfect wave in every aspect especially for regular-footer.
YES PLEASE. I have a pretty long drive for a high-teen handicap, and i'm a regular footer who has been battling crowds for decades.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I have seen images of Clay Marzo surfing a very hollow left on Maui that is the sort of wave we'd be looking for. No idea the name of the break or the likelihood of getting it like the pictures I've seen. This place.

It's knarly. Maybe more so than pipe, and the barrel section is more backdoor side-gutter than open bowl. Fun right across from there. Super pretty beach.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
YES PLEASE. I have a pretty long drive for a high-teen handicap, and i'm a regular footer who has been battling crowds for decades.
as an LA based surfer who used to frequent the points and duked it out at lowers in my teens/20's - i thought i was ready for that crowd but man - it was tough. the only great wave i got - i burned someone for and i went straight in afterwords not waiting to see who i burned.After sitting wide all day the first day and only getting scraps, i moved over to the peak day 2 and i was sitting for so long i was like fuck it - im going - he didnt look Hawaiian, so i went. dude barked and I pretended not to hear and got one of my most memorable waves ever.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
as an LA based surfer who used to frequent the points and duked it out at lowers in my teens/20's - i thought i was ready for that crowd but man - it was tough. the only great wave i got - i burned someone for and i went straight in afterwords not waiting to see who i burned.After sitting wide all day the first day and only getting scraps, i moved over to the peak day 2 and i was sitting for so long i was like fook it - im going - he didnt look Hawaiian, so i went. dude barked and I pretended not to hear and got one of my most memorable waves ever.
haha, I think I burned somebody on 60% of my waves. It’s the only way. if they look like a low skill set but somehow caught it, I’m going.

The best keg I got, I paddled over the back of a 12 year old grom and whispered in his ear “I got it fucker.” Backdoored the bowl and got spit out standing straight up.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
dude, it sounds just like bigger heavier warmer and better lido beach. the entire east coast shows up here when there's a big ass solid storm off shore and north winds blowing. plenty of talent in the water, and plenty of burning. I'm talking HUNDREDS of people battling across a mile of beach, some buoys, sure, but plenty of aggressive skilled surfers too... but really there are only 2-3 main peaks that get all the crowd, cause those peaks are for whatever reason 3-5 feet bigger than every where else, and hollow and grindy as a muhfkuer. I'm not ACTUALLY comparing them, all I'm saying is, I know how to get waves in a scary ass crowd at a heavy spot. I mean bro, I get set waves at Hanalei. on a 6'9. :dancing: Bring on Honolua and the 18th at Kapalua, pit bulls optional but preferred. Sounds like a fukking blast, and I'll deal with the crowds.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
dude, it sounds just like bigger heavier warmer and better lido beach. the entire east coast shows up here when there's a big ass solid storm off shore and north winds blowing. plenty of talent in the water, and plenty of burning. I'm talking HUNDREDS of people battling across a mile of beach, some buoys, sure, but plenty of aggressive skilled surfers too... but really there are only 2-3 main peaks that get all the crowd, cause those peaks are for whatever reason 3-5 feet bigger than every where else, and hollow and grindy as a muhfkuer. I'm not ACTUALLY comparing them, all I'm saying is, I know how to get waves in a scary ass crowd at a heavy spot. I mean bro, I get set waves at Hanalei. on a 6'9. :dancing: Bring on Honolua and the 18th at Kapalua, pit bulls optional but preferred. Sounds like a fukking blast, and I'll deal with the crowds.
i have no doubt youd get a few. all it takes is one there. serious - that place and Keramas like the best regular footed wave IMO.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
your confidence in me is much appreciated, good sir.

Hell there were probably 40+ guys in the water on the day at Cloud break shown in my avatar. Sure its more spread out than Honolua, but again, heavy scary wave, only my second session ever surfing there, and I snagged some proper set waves. Didn't get truly barreled those first 2 sessions, but, I was pleased