Best crowd killer performance board

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
How's that Sunday working out for its intended duties as a crowd killer? Rant: there's an adult learner, recent blow in at my local beach break who's got a new Sunday that would be 7' or more that is a complete and utter pest on the thing. One of those annoying guys that paddles around constantly from peak to peak and then also paddles for every single bump (and catches a lot of them due to its crutch-iness) in the ocean and is completely and utterly oblivious to how irritating they are.
He's like a fuggin blow fly and I find as soon as I see him paddling around near me my mood sours. Currently thinking of how to discourage him from coming anywhere near me without resorting to confrontation.
you could

1 take a crack at explaining nicely
2 tell him to stay the fck away from you and explain that you’ll just be dropping in on him anyway - so it’s in his best interest to stay away.

I have success w both of those strategies

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
you could

2 tell him to stay the fck away from you and explain that you’ll just be dropping in on him anyway - so it’s in his best interest to stay away.

And also, on the sand or in the carpark, all nice and friendly, "Hey, lot's of guys are talking about your wave hogging. Just wanted to let you know."

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Geez, poor bastard must have needed extended counselling to repair his shattered self esteem after seeing that.
:roflmao:
It happened to me once. I often park in odd spots near the coastline to do landscape/seascape painting and on one occasion noticed the wax “not wanted” on the windshield when I returned to the car. The silly fool tipped me off that there’s a spot nearby. :D

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It happened to me once. I often park in odd spots near the coastline to do landscape/seascape painting and on one occasion noticed the wax “not wanted” on the windshield when I returned to the car. The silly fool tipped me off that there’s a spot nearby. :D
Was it your huge CI Ca sticker on your subaru that told the local you surfed braa:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Was it your huge CI Ca sticker on your subaru that told the local you surfed braa:shrug:
No, I had a Ford pickup and no surf accoutrements showing. Couldn’t figure it out until I noticed a sticker from a shop in Lompoc that fit perfectly over the Ford logo. Sneaky bastards!

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I liked everything about the Machado Sunday except for the paddling ability. It paddles faster than a regular HPSB, and that helps as a crowd killer, but I'm looking for almost longboard paddling ability. I guess the 6'0 Sunday is too short, despite the 38 L of volume, so I'm craigslisting it and thinking of a custom Simon Shapes.

I'm thinking that around a 7'0 twin or quad, thin eggish shape, around 20 1/2" x 2 3/4" x 40L, with Eps or varial foam, would be lively and loose but still a good paddler. Probably an egg shape but I like the aesthetic of Simon's Diamon Quad. I wonder if that might work better than an egg shape. The wide point looks to be behind the center.

IMG_2889-1365x2048.jpg

• Love
Reactions: need 4 speed

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I liked everything about the Machado Sunday except for the paddling ability. It paddles faster than a regular HPSB, and that helps as a crowd killer, but I'm looking for almost longboard paddling ability. I guess the 6'0 Sunday is too short, despite the 38 L of volume, so I'm craigslisting it and thinking of a custom Simon Shapes.

I'm thinking that around a 7'0 twin or quad, thin eggish shape, around 20 1/2" x 2 3/4" x 40L, with Eps or varial foam, would be lively and loose but still a good paddler. Probably an egg shape but I like the aesthetic of Simon's Diamon Quad. I wonder if that might work better than an egg shape. The wide point looks to be behind the center.

View attachment 129104
Have you seen the recent Rustys? Someone just posted their Eggnot in the mid thread. I also saw their Dmin surfed a lot over the past year or so by a couple of their team guys and was impressed for that size of boar.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
you could

Just as a follow up the next time I saw him out there after he'd done his usual paddle for every wave thing I eventually dropped in on him further along the wave and scooted off along it. I was on my groveller so he didn't catch up to me. Paddling back out he wanted to know why I had dropped in? I explained that just because you can catch every wave doesn't mean you have to. He grumbled some and then moved away from where i was sitting. It's been months now and I have never seen that guy in the water since at that spot.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

View attachment 129104
I would go talk to Allan Gibbons who knows the area well and knows what kind of glide you need in 805 and if someone pays you 850 for a fireturd none to almost no $$ out of pocket:shaka:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I felt up a Simon Diamond 6’6 quad today, just like in the photos above, and it felt performancey, but not like a crowd killer. To my not particularly well trained eye, it seemed to have a rather deep single concave, going really deep at the tail and nose, with a medium continuous rocker. For some reason I love the aesthetic of that bort, but it’s so unusual I’m not sure how it would ride and ultimately not what I’m after.

Went by Anacapa and after describing what I was after, Robert suggested a custom Dreamcatcher. Going 6’8 and eps, he suggested an inch narrower (21’) than stock for that design, and a bit thinner (whatever would work out to 45 L).

Any thoughts or experience with a Robert’s Dreamcatcher?

Reactions: Retropete

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I felt up a Simon Diamond 6’6 quad today, just like in the photos above, and it felt performancey, but not like a crowd killer. To my not particularly well trained eye, it seemed to have a rather deep single concave, going really deep at the tail and nose, with a medium continuous rocker. For some reason I love the aesthetic of that bort, but it’s so unusual I’m not sure how it would ride and ultimately not what I’m after.

Went by Anacapa and after describing what I was after, Robert suggested a custom Dreamcatcher. Going 6’8 and eps, he suggested an inch narrower (21’) than stock for that design, and a bit thinner (whatever would work out to 45 L).

Any thoughts or experience with a Robert’s Dreamcatcher?
I made the file for that board. With Rob of course providing direction. As I recall it was based on one of my personal boards only my outline was wider in the nose. It was indeed a mid size board but it had a bit more rocker than most, was EPS/expoxy and it would actually go amazingly well in tiny waves with a little bit of curve in the face. I surfed with Rob one day and I was having an increasingly rarer (as I age) good day and getting almost dead vertical hits in a little over knee high surf, full wrap cutbaks with an easy foam ball bounce etc. As I remember it was a 7'2". Vertical hits in two foot surf with a board that big looks fairly unusual. That's a lot of board going over the top of the wave. Rob borrowed it and felt my wider nose was getting the way. It was, I sucked on the board backside. But frontside the issue was nonexistent for me. Some of that is technique. In tiny waves backside I want to move up on a board and with a wide nose too much rail is in the water forward on turns, which is a problem at low speeds. At higher speeds I can more weight back and the problem largely goes away. Anyway, I still have the board somewhere. I have multiple rooms, garages and shops with boards stashed. I forget about surfboards until I happen to see them in the racks again. But the board IMO is kind of a stealth, undercover midsize for guys who don't want to ride a midsize.

I will say I that Robert has a Dream Machine model, a Dream Catcher model and a Dream Maker model. I have threatened him with death if he names another board with a "Dream" prefix. It doesn't sound that complicated, but after I have cut 20 or so boards, one Dream starts sounding like another. I get stupider as the day wears on. There was one Dream Machine order that was something like 5'6" x 22 x 2 5/8 (You want a tiny little grovel board, the Dream Machine should be a consideration. My son rides the above dimensions at about 6'1" X 185 lbs) Anyway, I mixed up my dreams and cut a Dream Catcher in the Dream Machine dimensions. It actually looked really cool. I have no idea what happened to it.

Another one i keep threatening to cut for myself is the Metamorph. It's kind of an upscale grovel board. Thigh to chest high+. Which in CA is probably over half of what we ride. Especially going into summer. But every time I cut one I pull it of the machine and it just screams Bonzer fin setup to me. I want one. Like I need another surfboard. My father is in what we believe to be the end stages of passing right now. I haven't surfed for weeks. Some day I hope to get that back. But right now, I work, sit with my father and workout in the garage. Hopefully when I get through this I'm still a surfer.

Last edited: