SURFLINE: 2-3 ft.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Hey Flyinraptr - how often does that one northern beach break that is super A-Frames and super hollow break as good and as perfect as a certain surf camp Instagram makes it look? I surfed it recently, not clean like I see in all the posting on IG, might be the hardest beach break wave I have ever tried to catch and pull into at 6-10 feet, but I didn't get it on a perfect clean day and was told it has to be near perfect to make the drop and the tube. Don't want to name the spot, but you might know what I am talking about.
I haven't surfed it myself ... but from what i've seen it looks to be pretty consistent ... although the northern area tends to turn onshore in the afternoons. My local has about 6 spots along about a half mile stretch of beach. Mostly user friendly but can get heavy (i've buckled three boards there so far) when its pumping. The wave reminds me a lot of Lowers .. rippable but hollow even when its small.

20210604_071203.jpg

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
At sunrise... remember when if you wanted to get some waves before the crowds got on it you could hit it at first light! Holy crap, at my local now there are 5-10 out in the dark, never was that way before Covid. Are there really that many new surfers just since Covid began or has the work from home thing changed everyone's habits? I can't figure this sh!t out, never in my 40 years of surfing have I seen such a rapid change like this. Where is everyone coming from?
In Santa Cruz you are still a few decades too late for that. I remember hitting up Pleasure Point in 2002 with a few buddies with a good winter swell running. We thought we were so clever getting there and suiting up while it was still dark and went to check Sewers. Between the guys actively suiting up and others watching there was at least 2 dozen guys :roflmao: :foreheadslap:

Reactions: santacruzin

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
At sunrise... remember when if you wanted to get some waves before the crowds got on it you could hit it at first light! Holy crap, at my local now there are 5-10 out in the dark, never was that way before Covid. Are there really that many new surfers just since Covid began or has the work from home thing changed everyone's habits? I can't figure this sh!t out, never in my 40 years of surfing have I seen such a rapid change like this. Where is everyone coming from?
In Santa Cruz you are still a few decades too late for that. I remember hitting up Pleasure Point in 2002 with a few buddies with a good winter swell running. We thought we were so clever getting there and suiting up while it was still dark and went to check Sewers. Between the guys actively suiting up and others watching there was at least 2 dozen guys :roflmao: :foreheadslap:

To answer your last question: Massive economic growth in the tech sector = lots of well paying jobs + remote work/COVID= lots of people who can afford to live anywhere :foreheadslap:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Fun window Friday morning in South Brevard. Good winds and tide was right. A little residual bump on it from the swell mix, but some good ones - much less closed out than usual. Not much crowd either.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

To answer your last question: Massive economic growth in the tech sector = lots of well paying jobs + remote work/COVID= lots of people who can afford to live anywhere :foreheadslap:
There are normally 5-10 people at hook, 15 or so at the point pre dawn. Last year those number have quadrupled.
if its a hyped swell forget it hahahaha.

it’s ok though just gotta make do and find windows if you want to surf those spots. surfline gets it wrong in your favor sometimes.

and what you said about the tech sector. Plus no where is scary anymore. Maybe 3-4 spots? How is anyone going to vibe 150 people on wave storms? In 90s it was super uncrowded at a lot of spots. Old timers will talk about pre stairs and parking lot days.
Hell even spots north are getting packed, what happened to the car break in tweakers. Seems monterey beaches are still pretty wide open though . Sharks and poundings!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Hey Flyinraptr - how often does that one northern beach break that is super A-Frames and super hollow break as good and as perfect as a certain surf camp Instagram makes it look? I surfed it recently, not clean like I see in all the posting on IG, might be the hardest beach break wave I have ever tried to catch and pull into at 6-10 feet, but I didn't get it on a perfect clean day and was told it has to be near perfect to make the drop and the tube. Don't want to name the spot, but you might know what I am talking about.
That wave looks like it could make a mockery of one's surfing.

I hate when that happens.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
@Eimeo

The consensus I've heard is you want to plan your trip to coincide with morning high tides. I am not sure if the incoming portion of that is as important as elsewhere down there, or if anything with a good amount of water will do.

I am told it's pretty busy these days; it's all the rage with the Smyrna/St. Augustine/Jacksonville set.

Reactions: flyinraptr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Wednesday the NWS called for 2-4, so I wasted half a tank of gas and two hours in the car to check the place I thought would at least be not-flat, and . . . . it was flat. I don't even look at Surflie anymore, but every site I looked at implied there might be a little something. And I can't drive that far anymore, what with an aging car and the price of gas. Fuckety fook fuckfuck! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Surfer's "boink" alot producing kids ~ Go figure why "your line up is crowded" :sneaky:
Surfer's teaching surfers how to surf ....

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
That wave looks like it could make a mockery of one's surfing.

I hate when that happens.
Absolutely ... it is similar to a few other spots here ... where you have to get acclimated to the speed of the wave. i think that is what most visiting surfers fresh off the plane struggle with the most. Tide is critical as well .... low tide is downright dangerous ... most spots tend to slow down at high tide. I plan my surf sessions around the mid-to-high tide windows.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Knee to waist high with nice offshore. Water warm, air down to low 70’s in the early morning. Packed with vacationers.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
@Eimeo

The consensus I've heard is you want to plan your trip to coincide with morning high tides. I am not sure if the incoming portion of that is as important as elsewhere down there, or if anything with a good amount of water will do.

I am told it's pretty busy these days; it's all the rage with the Smyrna/St. Augustine/Jacksonville set.
True ... you are planning on hitting that particular spot or Northen/Central Nicaragua in general. Not necessary in planning on visiting southern part of the country. Looking at the graphic ... the spot being referred to in this thread is located north of Managua. In the southern part of the country - Lake Nicaragua generates off-shore winds all day - 300+ days of the year.

nica.png