XTR

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I really dont like the way that build looks (looks like suspenders. ha) but honest opinion about the construction is that it felt much better than a standard wood stringer.

Hope you like it Racer. Post up your thoughts after you've put in some time on it. :cool:(y)
the construction looks dodgy to me, saw a pic from one of the other members where it broke right after where the "carbon" ended. the SL-C looks legit and something worth buying

Reactions: ReForest

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I dinged the tail up on my SL-CK Hydronaut pretty good today. Took a bite out of the high density blue foam stuff. Am I right in thinking that stuff is also closed-cell so won't take in water?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
But where would it be on the bottom? A small one down by tail would be fine. An image of where and what size the lam is would be appreciated.

Feb 28, 2015
I dinged the tail up on my SL-CK Hydronaut pretty good today. Took a bite out of the high density blue foam stuff. Am I right in thinking that stuff is also closed-cell so won't take in water?
It’s not going to. Had a tail dinged up with foam exposed and just stuffed it with wax and rode the board for more than 2 years before deciding to fix it, bone dry.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think the SL-C looks the best, but the parallel carbon felt really good. I used to be a fan of the HD blue stringer with a carbon arrow on top. We shall see how the SL-C feels.

Javier told me there are surfers who get board to show off from the car to the water and there are surfers that get boards to show off in the water. lol.

He was basically telling me that who cares what it looks like if performs in the water. I still told him that the parallel carbon looks funny. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I think the SL-C looks the best, but the parallel carbon felt really good. I used to be a fan of the HD blue stringer with a carbon arrow on top. We shall see how the SL-C feels.

Javier told me there are surfers who get board to show off from the car to the water and there are surfers that get boards to show off in the water. lol.

He was basically telling me that who cares what it looks like if performs in the water. I still told him that the parallel carbon looks funny. lol.
Page 32 of this thread, this is what turned me off to the parallel carbon that doesn't go the full length. looks like it creates a weak point just after the carbon, buyer beware

PC.jpeg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
i think the 8.0 glass on pc goes to the end tail
I dont think so. I think the theory is that the board flexs from the fins up through along the rail lines to the nose. Javier told me that on a bottom turn your pushing off the rail, then on the top turn - pushing off the rail. So the theory is the flex is mostly on the rails and not very often through the middle. Its an interesting theory.

If this type of break is a one time break... then it could be chalked up to a random event. But if this specific type of break is consistent in other boards then it would be a turn off for me.

My nose broke off at trestles and if I had a wood stringer it probably wouldn't have been a complete break. But even if I had the new SL-C it doesnt have a stringer either, so the outcome would have been the same in that instance.

EDIT:
I guess i was wrong about it not going to the end of the board :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I remember that post too and I thought about it when I picked this one up. But the foil on this one is pretty thick through the tail so maybe I'll fair better. I plan on surfing good North Shore waves with it so we'll definitely see if it's a weak point.

Maybe hydronaut I'd just go wood stringer.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
I dont think so.
that broken tail pc board popped up right after i ordered so i called shey to see if i could get the carbon all the way down to the tail and he said since i had 8.0 glass order it was already getting it. maybe double check when ordering but thats what he told me and thats how it came (all the way to the tail)