2021 Holiday weigh-in

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
None of that matters.
Ehhh...depends on your system.
I was always the first one to say that I can eat anything and it doesn't matter. "Fish for sport, not for food, fish is essentially a vegetable" kind of person. Cheese on everything. I did not look to be in bad shape. When I get kinda fat, it looks like I've been lifting weights.

Four months of no cheese or any dairy products, no (non fish) meats, no short chain carbs....turns out it matters to my body! Best shape of my life, more energy than my teenage years, down from 215 to 168 and it can't just be from surfing, hiking, and doing a few pull ups.

for what it's worth, another vote here for that exercise style. I surf, run Avila ridge, and do a few pull ups every two or three days, and I look and feel like I could rip another ape's arms off :monkey:

Reactions: ~rwright~

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I barely eat any red meat anymore, cheese fairly minimal, and hardly if ever any gluten. just a muscle group that doesn't get enough love I'm guessing. every stregth exercise good for pecs pretty much fvcks my shoulders.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ehhh...depends on your system.
Not really. Thermodynamics applies to everyone. There is nothing inherently more fattening about 300 calories of steak vs chicken breast or brown rice vs bread.

You got the results you achieved by cutting high calorie foods, which indirectly cuts your calories. A calorically equal diet with the foods you cut would give you pretty much the same results in terms of weight loss. Even being more conscious of what you are eating will have that effect.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Not really. Thermodynamics applies to everyone. There is nothing inherently more fattening about 300 calories of steak vs chicken breast or brown rice vs bread.

You got the results you achieved by cutting high calorie foods, which indirectly cuts your calories. A calorically equal diet with the foods you cut would give you pretty much the same results in terms of weight loss. Even being more conscious of what you are eating will have that effect.
I find that when eating flour products specifically on a regular basis I tend to gain more body fat, have got a large appetite and consume larger volumes of food so it just doesn't work for me. feel much more satisfied on potatoes which have a fraction of the energy content (80 percent water)

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

Thermodynamics in a vacuum is only useful for teaching thermodynamics, and the body is not exception. Any accurate model of the energy that a system can extract and use from a fuel takes in to account all of the properties of the system and the fuel. 300 peanuts, 75 grams of sugar, and 6.5oz of beef liver do not funtion identically to your body just because they are indistinguishable if you happen to be a Bunsen burner.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Thermodynamics in a vacuum is only useful for teaching thermodynamics, and the body is not exception. Any accurate model of the energy that a system can extract and use from a fuel takes in to account all of the properties of the system and the fuel. 300 peanuts, 75 grams of sugar, and 6.5oz of beef liver do not funtion identically to your body just because they are indistinguishable if you happen to be a Bunsen burner.
Of course it's not a perfect equation because the amount and composition of calories going in does effect what goes out, but in terms of overall difference in weigh/loss you are splitting hairs. It's not enough to account for walking around 20-30+ pounds lighter/heavier on one diet vs another with calories being equal.

If anything, a high protein diet will be the most beneficial in that regard because it has the highest thermic effect of food and that protein is more likely to be partitioned into muscle tissue. The indirect effects that diets have on overall calorie consumption matter far more than the composition of those calories.

I find that when eating flour products specifically on a regular basis I tend to gain more body fat, have got a large appetite and consume larger volumes of food so it just doesn't work for me. feel much more satisfied on potatoes which have a fraction of the energy content (80 percent water)
The bolded effect on behavior is what's driving that weight gain, not the actual food itself.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Of course it's not a perfect equation because the amount and composition of calories going in does effect what goes out, but in terms of overall difference in weigh/loss you are splitting hairs. It's not enough to account for walking around 20-30+ pounds lighter/heavier on one diet vs another with calories being equal.

If anything, a high protein diet will be the most beneficial in that regard because it has the highest thermic effect of food and that protein is more likely to be partitioned into muscle tissue. The indirect effects that diets have on overall calorie consumption matter far more than the composition of those calories.

The bolded effect on behavior is what's driving that weight gain, not the actual food itself.
ya, easy to fill up on potatoes rather than bread. I could eat a loaf of bread no problem, a kilo of potatoes is much more satiating for 1/3 of the calories.

Reactions: grapedrink

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

I don't think it's splitting hairs, I think it's closer to fine-tuning. Reducing calorie intake is how you take a 300lb person down to 225 and get them able to fit in standard chairs. Make them eat potatoes and their own tears for 90 days and bam.
If you want to get that troublesome 15 lbs off an athletic frame that already doesn't eat crazy amounts or live a sedentary lifestyle, reducing the amount of inflammation causing, insulin spiking, blood pressure increasing, digestion slowing, "bad" food you eat can be the missing step.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Heresy!

Rippetoe says you're a fag.
There is something really good about lifting heavy weights on a regular basis.

You are signaling your nervous system.

I think an active surfer could get away with weights once a week.

Deadlift, over head press and pull ups would be enough for someone who didn't want to do weights.

When I don't lift just picking up the 45 lbs place seems like a overwhelming task.

I think that his more neural than muscular.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Maybe in terms of how you feel overall, but there’s no science to support that less red meat is somehow beneficial to weight loss/maintenance when controlling for caloric intake.
You don't think that feeling better overall is beneficial to weight loss and maintenance.....

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Just mix up your meats. Fish, chicken, lamb, pork, steak, and lots of aboveground vegetables

Reactions: grapedrink