Who are the shapers of your quiver?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
speaking of support your local shaper....im guilty of not knowing any LA board builders that do good HPSB and small ALT thingies like fishies and whatnot.

Tim aint exactly local by definition but obvy he is my go to.

who's the best up here?

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
speaking of support your local shaper....im guilty of not knowing any LA board builders that do good HPSB and small ALT thingies like fishies and whatnot.

who's the best up here?
I feel like a lot of the big name LA shapers have either moved away (Matt Calvani, Tyler Hatzikian, Ian Zamora, Wegener), passed away (Anderson, Kennedy) or have retired or ghosted (Brian Hilbers). Schroff lives in San Pedro if you want to go his unique alt 80's style. He's really out there as a personality but I've wanted to try his boards. All that being said, there are still a bunch of super local shapers who's boards you'll only find being ridden in LA: Guy Okazaki in Venice, and a bunch of shapers based in south bay. Of all of them, I've only ridden a Guy Okazaki and one from that guy who shaped for Becker for ages (I forget his name) that a friend of mine had. The Guy Okazaki was his alt shape quad Alien board and it was actually a great board that I passed on to a friend after repairing it a couple of times. He shapes lots of short boards. But if you're someone who sells a lot of boards, these aren't exactly going to move like an Album or CI will. Also, Tim Stamps is a good shaper and person and is located in Seal Beach which is pretty much local if you're in south LA. I'm in the west valley now so I consider the Ventura shapers local. ha!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Dane Hamilton
Casper the friendly ghost in the JS factory
Gary McNeill
Some Asian ladyboy in between shifts

Reactions: Retropete

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I feel like a lot of the big name LA shapers have either moved away (Matt Calvani, Tyler Hatzikian, Ian Zamora, Wegener), passed away (Anderson, Kennedy) or have retired or ghosted (Brian Hilbers). Schroff lives in San Pedro if you want to go his unique alt 80's style. He's really out there as a personality but I've wanted to try his boards. All that being said, there are still a bunch of super local shapers who's boards you'll only find being ridden in LA: Guy Okazaki in Venice, and a bunch of shapers based in south bay. Of all of them, I've only ridden a Guy Okazaki and one from that guy who shaped for Becker for ages (I forget his name) that a friend of mine had. The Guy Okazaki was his alt shape quad Alien board and it was actually a great board that I passed on to a friend after repairing it a couple of times. He shapes lots of short boards. But if you're someone who sells a lot of boards, these aren't exactly going to move like an Album or CI will. Also, Tim Stamps is a good shaper and person and is located in Seal Beach which is pretty much local if you're in south LA. I'm in the west valley now so I consider the Ventura shapers local. ha!
Wait, Tyler moved??

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
You better get familiar with local shredder Andy Prunauer! His label is Proper Surfboards in Torrance - https://instagram.com/propersurfboards?utm_medium=copy_link - He’s a one man show shaping and laminating all his boards. I love his small wave boards and he’s done a couple carbon ones for me. Some of the best grovel boards I’ve had are from him.
86CC137B-8BB8-454C-BC30-81099A8397F8.jpegF561466F-1914-40A8-BFC9-09E21306F93C.jpegA713FA88-85C0-4275-BBC1-2967F646ADE3.jpeg
7BA88240-66B0-40BB-A9CE-F4DD4688A104.jpeg

Last edited:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
....im guilty of not knowing any LA board builders that do good HPSB and small ALT thingies like fishies and whatnot.
who's the best up here?
ALT stuff is tough to find in the Southbay (LA). It's a longboard, midlength or thurster.

I drive down to South OC and North SD to buy ALT stuff. Just more to choose from.

But there are some popular shapers up here Dan Cobley ( DANC ) and Tyler Surfboards has a following up here.

There's also Zippi Fish.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
How much does a carbon Proper run?
Not sure…I’m a friend of his and gotten so many boards I’m sure I received a sweet deal. Hit him on IG to find out. He’s a good dude, always stoked to talk boards. His prices aren’t anywhere near Dark Arts or Varial since his overhead is obviously lower than theirs but his craftsmanship is equal. He’s worked and built boards for Lost, Chilli and Spyder to name a few. And if you want your money to go directly into your small local shaper/glasser‘s pocket, it will with him since he’s a one man operation. He’s got no advertising, no team riders, or investors getting a piece of itAFD551BD-936D-4B70-ADBD-9BA0DE52C4AE.jpeg49A07393-4A22-45C5-917E-CB00E91D6D11.jpeg4990EA29-ABF6-441C-91C3-CBF427EBA881.jpeg