Poast your strenf training program

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I am now skeptical of any programs using more than 3 work sets by 5 across of squats.
I think all rep ranges are important. Todays deadlift for instance was 3 sets of 5 working sets....1@RPE8, two back off sets -5%.

For just simple training stress to build strength there's a diminishing return for most when intensity gets too high. Above RPE 8ish the curve is heading south... so we know that multiple sets of high intensity max effort work are doing more harm than good. That's not to say people shouldn't do heavy work. If prepping for a one rep max there's going to be a lot of grindy sets and singles in final preparation. A heavy single needs that preparation.

On a low intensity squat day for the next 8 weeks I will be doing 3 sets of 10 at RPE 7-9 (I use a range here because after 6 or 7 reps the fatigue is baked in and the RPE awareness is hard to settle on) which is more of a mental burn than a physical one....but it's also a way to build work capacity which will translate back to the heavy single.

Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That's what I meant - all that other stuff you said. I just meant "Don't do programs with squats of 5x5".

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
why not 5x5 on a vol day?
I think 5x5 is a mental grind. I would always recommend backing off the last two 5-10% just to keep the bar speed up which is more important that most realize. For a while I was doing a heavy single at RPE8-9 and then 3 to 5 back off sets minus 20% on heavy day. The volume was too much and I ended up beat up and couldn't effectively train for two weeks.

Years ago Paul Horn programmed a modified TM for me. I think volume day was a percentage of heavy day. Heavy day was 1set of 5 and I think volume day was 5x5 -20% of heavy. I'll go back and look. He did tell me to use 3 sets of 5 first and if I was making progress the stress was sufficient and to only add sets if things starting getting stuck.

Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
why not 5x5 on a vol day?
What VM said:
For just simple training stress to build strength there's a diminishing return for most when intensity gets too high. Above RPE 8ish the curve is heading south... so we know that multiple sets of high intensity max effort work are doing more harm than good.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
For light day I'm starting to really like a 3-1-3 tempo for sets of 10...especially with the bench press. You have to do it light or you'll really fatigue your triceps. My bench was waning and after a couple weeks of that it took off again. I haven't done them with the squat but some pretty strong fuckers swear by them.

Reactions: Havoc

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
I did that 20 rep squat scheme that someone mentioned earlier in August and September. I found a program online that looked interesting, and thought I would give it a try. Took my 5 rep max and dropped it by 90 lbs and started there. Then added 5 lbs every workout for a total of 18 sessions (6 weeks). It got hard at the end, but I ended up doing 20 reps of my 5 rep max when I was done. Now I'm doing a program where there were sets of increasing reps at heavish weights, and I had to end at 9 reps. No problem after doing 20 at that weight before a few weeks earlier. But, I definitely like lifting in the 3-8 rep range. Really cool to see what this old body can accomplish.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

You can tell these guys are good trainers and scientists - they're willing to question themselves and their assumptions.

Edit: Feigenbaum and Baraki are sitting how men should sit. If you can cross your legs as a man you're legs are too small and weak and you need to squat MOAR. You should be manspreading at all times while seated, also because your legs are tree trunks.

None of this:
1637707931949.png
1637707960626.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Strenght is its own martial art.

We can't comment on your program unless you poast it.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
mostly compound stuff, I use dumbells instead of barbell for Chest and Some shoulder stuff as I feel like it’s better for shoulders. 6 - 8 diff exercises. 2-3 warm up sets and then 3 working sets.
Yesterday I did
DB chest
pull ups
Oh press
front squat
RDL
Chin ups
Dips

Ddint do any deadlifts but will next workout and do some other squat variation. They tax me so I don’t do them every workout.
nothing revolutionary. not really doing super low rep pure strength training. Go for more volume and what feels good these days.

run 3-5 miles or swim a mile or so every morning. stretch and do some boring mobility stuff too.

I know I know doing it all wrong

Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
mostly compound stuff, I use dumbells instead of barbell for Chest and Some shoulder stuff as I feel like it’s better for shoulders. 6 - 8 diff exercises. 2-3 warm up sets and then 3 working sets.
Yesterday I did
DB chest
pull ups
Oh press
front squat
RDL
Chin ups
Dips

Ddint do any deadlifts but will next workout and do some other squat variation. They tax me so I don’t do them every workout.
nothing revolutionary. not really doing super low rep pure strength training. Go for more volume and what feels good these days.

run 3-5 miles or swim a mile or so every morning. stretch and do some boring mobility stuff too.

I know I know doing it all wrong

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Probably also important :
How old are you ? How many days do you surf week? For how long? do you have any pre existing injuries? I am broken down.

when I do programs like that one my surfing suffers.
Was doing a full bar bro program for a while with surprising results. Pull ups all day long and my paddling was great.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
RPE is a relative metric. If you're surfing more or need to back off on the intensity, use lower RPE for your back-off sets. It's hard to use age as a determinate of your relative/absolute progress because these BBM programs are designed around RPE which allow you to factor-in your subjective experience of fatigue and extra workload using RPE. Does that make sense?

I have a chronic pain condition.

Reactions: santacruzin