Dune

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i liked it but did not like that it was merely part 1

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I liked the baron better in the first movie. And it took me two hours in to figure out they weren't gonna finish the story....

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Only Duncan Idaho is not from Caladan. If I remember right he’s from Giedi Prime, homeworld of House Harkonnen, and by all accounts a very uptight planet. No aloha spirit on that world.

Yes, I‘m a nerd for knowing that. :geek:
Actually, he is from Ginaz, which is 100% covered in water. He is a swordmaster of the Ginaz. He is described as having curly black hair and a dark round face. I bet he can surf too. I think the only thing that is misleading and probably more of a fault of Herbert is giving him the name Duncan Idaho, like how much more american of a name can you have besides Johnny Utah?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Actually, he is from Ginaz, which is 100% covered in water. He is a swordmaster of the Ginaz. He is described as having curly black hair and a dark round face. I bet he can surf too. I think the only thing that is misleading and probably more of a fault of Herbert is giving him the name Duncan Idaho, like how much more american of a name can you have besides Johnny Utah?
Nope, he moved to Ginaz cuz he wanted to be a swordmaster, and because Giedi Prime sucks ass.

• Haha
Reactions: rice

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Nope, he moved to Ginaz cuz he wanted to be a swordmaster, and because Giedi Prime sucks ass.
Hmm, well he still has dark curly hair and dark complexion. Plus, in the appleTV series "See" he is brother to Dave Bautista who is harkonnen and probably the second best character in the new Dune movie. There is some cool zatochi blind swordsman fighting from Jason Mamoa in See, probably why it was an easy choice to cast him as Duncan. The dude is a total chick magnet like Duncan in the books. I can relate more to Dave Bautista in terms of ugly bald guy looks and would probably be more at home on Giedi Prime with all the polution like surfing in OBSF. Duncan probably felt rejected for being too good looking on Giedi Prime and wanted to find some non sewer sludge surf on Caladan and Ginaz.

Reactions: estreet

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
I was huge sci-fi/fantasy book nerd when I was kid...it's always cool to see some of these books come to the small or big screen...I enjoyed the movie although it was slow and honestly they've barely begun to touch on the full story...I feel like it may have been better served as a series like game of thrones...visually it was stunning though...I also can't see how anyone who didn't read the books could've grasped the full story

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Finally got around to watching this movie. How do you make a movie two hours too long, with drawn out unnecessary momentum killing slow motion everything, yet still not take any time at all to develop (or even introduce) characters, some of whom you give a drawn out dramatic death later on...the whole movie was like "you care about this. Don't worry what it is, or why, or where it's going. Just feel emotions now because music, slow mo"
It was tremors meets a stripped down pre Star wars, directed by Michael bay on opium.

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I need to go back and give yellowstone another chance. We liked it but we started it not long into the lockdowns and it was just too angry and stressful of a show for that period, but now I’m in a much better mind set for it. Hell I’ve been watching nothing but violent action series for months and it only resulted in one near fight in a parking lot. Bring on the angry ranching family that all hate one another

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
I'm a little afraid to watch the new film, since the first Dune book is one of my favorite -- maybe THE favorite -- SciFi books. I'm worried that it will be like Master & Commander -- love the books so much that the film was an inevitable letdown...

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'm a little afraid to watch the new film, since the first Dune book is one of my favorite -- maybe THE favorite -- SciFi books. I'm worried that it will be like Master & Commander -- love the books so much that the film was an inevitable letdown...
97 times out of 100, the book+your imagination is better than the movie.

I confess to sometimes being too curious about people's interpretations and how it is reflected in the resulting construct like a movie, so I will often go and try to remind myself that the derivative does not reduce the original.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Hey now, I loved all those books and I watch that movie at least once a year lol. I’m bummed they didn’t bang out a bunch of sequels, they have plenty of Aubrey/Maturin material to work with. But yeah for a probably expensive movie to make, I don’t think it did nearly as well as they thought it would

and just as I clicked reply, Vaughn’s Fantasia from that soundtrack just came on this playlist I have on right now. Trippy