Best crowd killer performance board

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
When I was in my late 40's- 50's, at 6' tall and 205lb, I would get eggs around my own height or slightly less, 21" wide and 2 7/8" thick. It was more than enough then. The problem now is the size of the boards in the lineup has increased. Then it was guys mostly on HP shortboards. Now, on the points it's mostly longboards and around 7' midsize stuff. So I don't know. You adjust to the level you want to go. Take it up whatever size you need. I've cut a very few of them at 8'. I have multiple versions. Start at 6'2" and run to around 7'3".

Did one for my son a little bit ago that he is in love with. He's about 6'2" and 175. He loads for me here and there, and is ghost shaping for someone else, so he's been around a little now. Did his board at 6'2", 20 1/2, 2 5/8. (it probably finished out at 2 9/16") He was shocked at how little it limited him as opposed to some of the other stuff he rides. Equally shocked at how easy it was to surf and catch waves.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Did one for my son a little bit ago that he is in love with. He's about 6'2" and 175. He loads for me here and there, and is ghost shaping for someone else, so he's been around a little now. Did his board at 6'2", 20 1/2, 2 5/8. (it probably finished out at 2 9/16") He was shocked at how little it limited him as opposed to some of the other stuff he rides. Equally shocked at how easy it was to surf and catch waves.
What‘s the shape like, an egg?

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
when sized down you prefer the egg over speed egg?
I've never tried a speed egg. The rocker and rails are identical on both boards. As you go longer, if you desire a more high performance ride, a narrower nose gets in the way less. In shorter versions, the wider nose really doesn't get in the way much. It kind of disappears. Stretch it out and start trying to push it through tighter turns, and you got some ears up there that you may have to deal with.

Everything is a compromise. It all depends on what you want out of the board.

The board I'm currently riding most of the time is a 7'2". I took a Rush Short file, blew the tail width out a little and had Malcolm put a deeper Bonzer style concave in it. Then had it setup as a keel fin twin. First iteration was a failure on fin placement, so knocked the glass ons off and put Futures into it. Used the Hobie fish fins. Now it goes. I've been looking at the Speed Egg thinking about a twin/Alpha Omega version. Been cutting a LOT of them lately. Seems to be popular.

Another board of his I haven't tried is the Pod.

Every time I cut one, I wonder why I haven't tried one. Malcolm has done a few of them for Wayne Lynch I believe. The rocker is a little flatter, so the board should go in weak waves.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I tried the short wide and thick route and didn't like it. I'm going to stretch it out and foil it a bit.

I think this is what you're looking for. Nothing better. Y'all should know this by now.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I tried the short wide and thick route and didn't like it. I'm going to stretch it out and foil it a bit.

I think this is what you're looking for. Nothing better. Y'all should know this by now.

Rumor has it the shaper is a queer, transgender, dtrump supporter who watches to much foxnews:poke:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

Too pretty. :p

Have you tried the Tri Fin Hovercraft in your short, wide, and thick route?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Too pretty. :p

Have you tried the Tri Fin Hovercraft in your short, wide, and thick route?
Nope. But I've been seeing electric powered foilers lately. Looks fun and you don't have to do the hopping to get around...

But seriously, I've spent decades now trying to navigate a line up full of longboards and so far 8-3 is the shortest I can go and compete effectively, 8-0 when it's really big. Anything shorter and you're mostly getting scraps... I tried a 7-7 channel bottom twin pin and it's too short for my local reef and too long for my local beach.

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
I've never tried a speed egg. The rocker and rails are identical on both boards. As you go longer, if you desire a more high performance ride, a narrower nose gets in the way less. In shorter versions, the wider nose really doesn't get in the way much. It kind of disappears. Stretch it out and start trying to push it through tighter turns, and you got some ears up there that you may have to deal with.

Everything is a compromise. It all depends on what you want out of the board.

The board I'm currently riding most of the time is a 7'2". I took a Rush Short file, blew the tail width out a little and had Malcolm put a deeper Bonzer style concave in it. Then had it setup as a keel fin twin. First iteration was a failure on fin placement, so knocked the glass ons off and put Futures into it. Used the Hobie fish fins. Now it goes. I've been looking at the Speed Egg thinking about a twin/Alpha Omega version. Been cutting a LOT of them lately. Seems to be popular.

Another board of his I haven't tried is the Pod.

Every time I cut one, I wonder why I haven't tried one. Malcolm has done a few of them for Wayne Lynch I believe. The rocker is a little flatter, so the board should go in weak waves.
@Sharky - don't most bonzers need a good wave to get going? I would think the Russ Short and egg would as well.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Nope. But I've been seeing electric powered foilers lately. Looks fun and you don't have to do the hopping to get around...

But seriously, I've spent decades now trying to navigate a line up full of longboards and so far 8-3 is the shortest I can go and compete effectively, 8-0 when it's really big. Anything shorter and you're mostly getting scraps... I tried a 7-7 channel bottom twin pin and it's too short for my local reef and too long for my local beach.
The Tri Fin Hovercraft is a GG super-groveler, in case that wasn't clear.

Might be time to retool the marketing staff, @griffinsurfboard

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
@Sharky - don't most bonzers need a good wave to get going? I would think the Russ Short and egg would as well.
My ewing mini log grovels pretty good yet my bumblebee and alpha omega need some push and more hollow wave board goes better. I heard pod, egg, lb, octafish, and mblv can all grovel more or be used as dd.

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
My ewing mini log grovels pretty good yet my bumblebee and alpha omega need some push and more hollow wave board goes better. I heard pod, egg, lb, octafish, and mblv can all grovel more or be used as dd.
@rowjimmytour - thanks! E-wing mini log sounds interesting. Bet it would be a fun all-arounder

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I used to feel that way when I got back on Bonzers. The first time on five fin was somewhere in the late 80's I believe. I had a hard time with it in junk surf for a solid month. (I think it was June in Ventucky :barf: ) But once I got it figured out as to where to push on it, the problem vanished for me. I have no problem surfing crap on a Bonzer. I know other people feel the other way however. Different strokes. But you can order an egg as a twin fin. I did that Russ Short as a twin fin. He's been known to do thrusters for local people/regular customers. Not so much for more removed requests. I can't blame him. He has tons of work with Bonzers alone. It's where his heart is obviously. But, it is possible...

Reactions: rowjimmytour
Mar 2, 2019
When I was in my late 40's- 50's, at 6' tall and 205lb, I would get eggs around my own height or slightly less, 21" wide and 2 7/8" thick. It was more than enough then. The problem now is the size of the boards in the lineup has increased. Then it was guys mostly on HP shortboards. Now, on the points it's mostly longboards and around 7' midsize stuff. So I don't know. You adjust to the level you want to go. Take it up whatever size you need. I've cut a very few of them at 8'. I have multiple versions. Start at 6'2" and run to around 7'3".

Visit this part of the forum: https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/gliders.227300/

I've all but given up surfing crowded California spots due to the presence of hipsters on gliders or the plethora of foamie popout speed bumps. I notice the 'ol 10' big wave gun and scratched Gath helmet works wonders for a few grumpy locals at some of the more out of the limelight spots. Seriously, though, biggest benefit for me as I have aged, gained weight, and stiffened up due to multiple injuries, etc. is a slightly wider and thicker board of the same type that I want to surf at a given spot.