***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I've been thinking that something like a 6-4 CI twin pin (40L) would be fast and loose like an SB but still get the benefits of an ML (glide, padding, and wave catching).

Reactions: SD_Dan

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
See the review in the round pin twin thread which may help answer your question.
I didn't see much specific to the CI twin pin at this size but from the general data my theory that a 6'3" Varial CI twin pin could be a wave hog but still fun at places like Rincon. The 6'3" is 10 liters more volume than my SB volume, and with the twin pin's low rocker and outline, I figure it should paddle and catch waves like a gluttonous fiend.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I didn't see much specific to the CI twin pin at this size but from the general data my theory that a 6'3" Varial CI twin pin could be a wave hog but still fun at places like Rincon. The 6'3" is 10 liters more volume than my SB volume, and with the twin pin's low rocker and outline, I figure it should paddle and catch waves like a gluttonous fiend.
Have you felt one up? I love too much foam but even I balked at the thickness of the rails on a longer one. That would need to be addressed if sizing one up for a lighter surfer.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Have you felt one up? I love too much foam but even I balked at the thickness of the rails on a longer one. That would need to be addressed if sizing one up for a lighter surfer.
No, but now that you mention it, I’ll have to make a trip to the SB shop. Hopefully they’ll have a larger one.

I was thinking of reducing the thickness of the stock 2 3/4” to maybe 2 5/8”.

Reactions: urchined

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've been thinking that something like a 6-4 CI twin pin (40L) would be fast and loose like an SB but still get the benefits of an ML (glide, padding, and wave catching).
Not sure if you saw earlier (maybe in the other thread), but CI / Devon Howard are working on fin placements for a forthcoming twin version of the Mid. Might want to just wait for that.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I rode a friends 6'6 CI Mid recently. Coming off my 7'0 Howard Mini clone, it felt really small, almost shortboard-y but still retained some mid-length glide.

I really liked it and would consider getting a smaller mid myself, maybe the twin if it ever comes out.

The CI Twin Pin looks really good to me as well, but I don't think I'd stretch one out. They look almost stiff even at the normal sizes and by all reports need a pretty good wave to get going. I feel like getting an oversized one might feel more like an awkwardly large shortboard rather than a racier mid.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Different board but still is a mid length twin my it2win is 6'9" x20" x2.5" pintail stinger twin and I am 5'8" #170. The board is dedicated mid with super foiled rails and generous tail and even nose rocker with single to double V but normally runs as quad or 5 box set up I went twin. My point is like retropete said blowing up twin pin well be like over volume sb instead of mid better to go with mid with pintail and twin:shaka:

Reactions: sdsrfr

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I hate to prove y’all wrong but look at these February dims:

Twin Pin – 7'0 x 20 ¾ x 2 ¾
Twin Pin – 6'0 x 18 ¾ x 2 5/8
Twin Pin – 5'8 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8

Granted the 7’0 is for his dad (I probably surf more like his dad than like February)

Also, Britt likes his two inches over his SB length, which for me translates to around 6’2.

Reactions: urchined

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I hate to prove y’all wrong but look at these February dims:

Twin Pin – 7'0 x 20 ¾ x 2 ¾
Twin Pin – 6'0 x 18 ¾ x 2 5/8
Twin Pin – 5'8 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8

Granted the 7’0 is for his dad (I probably surf more like his dad than like February)

Also, Britt likes his two inches over his SB length, which for me translates to around 6’2.
Its not about the extra length put on its more about the thickness of rail and foil and even the width and if you ride stubby boards you well know. When all said and done its more about putting said board on rail and making a turn which if you have proper technique you can turn a door:foreheadslap: Reducing thickness by a 1/8" is not going to do much for volume unless you also reduce width by a least 3/4".

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
yeah, surfing design is all about right/wrong. Ask GG. Not subjective at all...
:ROFLMAO:
I’m sure that GG will agree when I say that you can be subjectively right or subjectively wrong… or he’ll express some other rando thought. In any case, if daddy February can make it go then perhaps I can too. Just need to get the dimensions dialed somehow.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I’m sure that GG will agree when I say that you can be subjectively right or subjectively wrong… or he’ll express some other rando thought. In any case, if daddy February can make it go then perhaps I can too. Just need to get the dimensions dialed somehow.
Shouldn't Britt be able to dial the dimensions for you :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Can't determine the level of sarcasm here, and I am, ny no means a CI apologist, but some of the "no names" at the big brands have more experience than Britt and are better shapers than several "custom order guys".
Allan Gibbons comes to mind and other guy "forget his name" :foreheadslap: shaped nice twinzers in Ventura after CI I believe he no longer shapes:shaka: