Can we talk about the METAVERSE?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think I will be dead by then.
You will be dead.

Also, won't living in the meta verse cause physical and mental health problems?
Well yes.

Do you think Zuckerberg cares about that?

Look at what we already know about the societal disruption social media has created.

This is like big tobacco but much worse.

I need to move to self regulate.
A lot of people don't.

There's a very large number of individuals who don't even want to leave their house.

They just want to stay at home and play video games, watch Netflix, masturbate, etc.

There's a reason people will pay $12 for a $6 sandwich so they can have it delivered to their door by Doordash.

Reactions: enframed

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
this all sounds familiar - anyone remember Second Life?
i was thinking farmland or something like that
All that stuff sounds so uninteresting and like it wouldn’t hold my interest long enough to even know what it does
I predict a colossal failure
But I’m not good at predicting the next big thing

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Well yes.

Look at what we already know about the societal disruption social media has created.

A lot of people don't.

There's a very large number of individuals who don't even want to leave their house.

They just want to stay at home and play video games, watch Netflix, masturbate, etc.

There's a reason people will pay $12 for a $6 sandwich so they can have it delivered to their door by Doordash.
Agree 100%.

WRT screen time, sh!t's gonna get worse. (It should be noted that participating in an old school BB like this is very very different from Metaverse.) It actually sickens me to think about where this is all going, and that video actually made me sick to my stomach (thanks r32!) after only two minutes. It's like a weird bizarro-world snuff film.

The other part of me thinks, hey, if it frees up some lanes on the 1, 5, 10, 101, 105, 110, & 405, bring on the metaverse!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The whole thing sucks so much. I don't get who this all is supposed to be for, who is excited about it (besides the people consciously selling some scam).

The idea is that there will be a whole economy built around this, apparently? Social interaction is supposed to be replaced by VR chat (and you're supposed to be excited about that). And then in vr-chat-world companies like Nike will/are getting into selling you goods for your character in this virtual world. And the blockchain/nft thing is a technology to verify that your character wearing the nikes is wearing genuine nikes, and that there's a limited number of them out there.

So the people using "metaverse" sincerely conceive of that as being a whole world or layer of the world or whatever, in which no actual production of goods happens, but instead digital goods are produced which are just pictures of those real-world goods. And since digital images are endlessly reproducible they have to invent a system of artificial scarcity to mimic the production of real goods, and that technology of artificial scarcity is already and in the real world burning as much energy and generating as much carbon as entire countries.

what the fook.
So depressing.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That is your competition for resources. All weak. And pasty.

Unless they can control robots ITRW to compete with the humans from the safety of the meta verse.

That might be a problem.

We will need to find the robot's weaknesses.

Then we will need to destroy the Metaverse servers.

Reactions: Jonahbrah

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You will be dead.

Well yes.

A lot of people don't.

I can't smell social media so it's still not as annoying as big tobacco to me.

I want to leave my home sometimes, and delivery services are slow as sh!t and I don't want a cold and/or soggy sandwich an hour and a half after I order it.

But if there was a magic $6 toll box that meant I didn't have to wait for the person in the turn lane to stop being a pussy and turn, and I didn't have to wait for the person in front of me to pull into the turn lane to make their left, and I didn't have to spend two cycles at a light because people want to roll/coast everywhere instead of open the throttle when the light turns green, and I didn't have to sit in an intersection about to get t-boned because one person waiting for a parking space three steps closer is blocking your ability to proceed AND to go around them...

I order out from way fewer places now. Casualties of Covid. Either a human answers my call and gives me an honest time assessment, or we don't do business. Or we do it once and never again no matter what because you wasted my time rather than risk losing a sale. The online applications all say 15 minutes. It's bullshit. I look forward to the landlord writing "tenant wanted" on the other side of the "help wanted" sign.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Despite Zuck's marketing bs, the metaverse is really just the confluence of our digital and non-digital lives. It's inevitable. Let's just hope it's not dominated by big tech in the same way the current internet world is.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I cut off Zuckerberg from my life a few weeks ago. I dont miss it. A lot of angst. Trolling Marketplace. Probably why Im back here.