Inflation

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I just took a load of muscovy ducks up to a local poultry place for slaughter and processing.

I didn't kill them, so that was easy.

as was filling the freezer up with processed duck carcasses to eat.
How much does that run you a pound after processing? I wacked a rabbit we raised the other day. Good eating but my middle son was not happy.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I haven't crunched the numbers.

we get eggs from the chickens and ducks, sometimes a surplus.

this is the first round of processing for meat.

They free range and eat a lot of grass and bugs, plus veggie scraps so A-grade local nutrient recycling plus meat quality.

It does cost money to raise them though.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I just took a load of muscovy ducks up to a local poultry place for slaughter and processing.

I didn't kill them, so that was easy.

as was filling the freezer up with processed duck carcasses to eat.
"Come on, duckies! We're going for a car ride!"

In Vietnam I could hear them slaughtering the pigs behind the restaurant across the street from my hotel.

Fun!

What trips me out is some people are not affected at all killing animals.

I can do it, but I can't help put myself in the animal's shoes when I am doing the killing.

It takes some of the fun away.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I haven't crunched the numbers.

we get eggs from the chickens and ducks, sometimes a surplus.

this is the first round of processing for meat.

They free range and eat a lot of grass and bugs, plus veggie scraps so A-grade local nutrient recycling plus meat quality.

It does cost money to raise them though.
Not a bad idea to expand the flock, times being what they are huh? I'm thinking of getting a lease for a family-sized garden.

My son wasn't happy.

There was some last minute wrangling to save some favourites from the chopping block.

No more naming ducks is the rule.
The problem with rabbits is they're so damn cute and lovable.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My son wasn't happy.

There was some last minute wrangling to save some favourites from the chopping block.

No more naming ducks is the rule.
Some people take it hard.

I knew a guy in college who raised his own cattle and he said he liked them like they were his pet but then he had no problem slaughtering them. He would do it himself.

That tripped me out.

I can't kill a mammal I have bonded with and then eat it.

--Mr Sensitive out!

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Not a bad idea to expand the flock, times being what they are huh? I'm thinking of getting a lease for a family-sized garden.

The problem with rabbits is they're so damn cute and lovable.
Try ducklings for cute.

11 just wandered out of the bush yesterday.

The flock is too big, hence more processing before Xmas.

Luckily, after the 2019 drought broke the cost of grain feed has actually been falling here.

I also farm maggots as cheap protein to feed them.

Maggots are incredible sources of protein for poultry and free to grow.

You basically need to get protein up to 15% or greater to get good eggs and meat.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Once you realise the incredible power of nutrient recycling in domestic livestock you become aware of what a significant evolutionary advantage it afforded Palaeolithic people.

For me to get the equivalent daily calorific payload from plants I would have to clear acres of land.
It's really interesting how hard it is to get calories. The Europeans who landed in North America eventually combined Northern European, North American, and Meso and South American agriculture to maximize calories during the mini-Ice Age: corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, animal husbandry/dairy. GRains simply take a ton of land per calorie.

To your point, check out how many calories this guy gets per day with a few sheep:
Dairy and lactose tolerance allowed the Mongols to travel on their own supply lines - they drank mare's milk.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
You quickly realise why there has never been a vegan human society on Earth, when you take responsibility for trying to obtain your own calories.

Animals that can digest grass and turn it into protein are amazing.
Whats amazing is the direction you legends are taking this thread, you guys are killing it right now.

Fuck the Yolo thread, this is the way

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Once you realise the incredible power of nutrient recycling in domestic livestock you become aware of what a significant evolutionary advantage it afforded Palaeolithic people.

For me to get the equivalent daily calorific payload from plants I would have to clear acres of land.
Exactly. The whole "animals are just the middle man!" that dumb vegans use is actually an argument in favor eating meat, not against it :beer:

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
@PRCD this is pure gold!!!!

@afoaf as a backpacker I'm thinking you would find this intriguing

One of the interesting things to me about this guy is that his speech patterns, cadences, pronunciations etc are pretty much a carbon copy of one of the wealthiest entrepreneurs I know.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
@PRCD this is pure gold!!!!

@afoaf as a backpacker I'm thinking you would find this intriguing

One of the interesting things to me about this guy is that his speech patterns, cadences, pronunciations etc are pretty much a carbon copy of one of the wealthiest entrepreneurs I know.
this is my kind of people

straight up