We don't have a supply chain problem, we have a leadership problem.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
She doesn't work for a catering outfit. Some universities call it the "regents" or the "corporation", but it's basically a non-profit wing of the university admin that manages all of the vending, and all of the workers are state employees. However it is basically run like a for profit corporation, even though the students are stuck there and aren't going to travel a mile out of their way to save 50 cents on a cup of coffee :roflmao: The bean counters have basically baked low pay into the budget like you mentioned above, so getting any kind of reasonable pay increase is like steering the titanic.

I do agree that it should be a good thing in the long run, but in the short-to-medium term its the loyal employees who are eating sh!t through all of this by having to pick up the slack. I see this whenever I have to take my car in for service, buy groceries, go to a restaurant, etc. I also think that there are a lot of business owners that are riding this out and hoping that the market stabilizes and they can go back to treating and paying their employees like dirt. Hopefully not, but I can see them playing chicken with it.
this is a job one would be wise to leave given the strength of labor at the moment relative to employers

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Remember when we ran out of toilet paper, PPE, medical supplies, and couldn't produce covid tests fast enough?
Yes. That was perfectly understandable given the circumstances at the time. After a few months most of that was alleviated.

This new situation makes no sense. We’ve had plenty of time to sort this out. Not allowing independent owner operated trucks to pick up the containers is contributing to this mess. Why does California hate small businesses so much :unsure:

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Yes. That was perfectly understandable given the circumstances at the time. After a few months most of that was alleviated.

This new situation makes no sense. We’ve had plenty of time to sort this out. Not allowing independent owner operated trucks to pick up the containers is contributing to this mess. Why does California hate small businesses so much :unsure:
Because some idiot woman listened to a couple idiot Uber drivers

Oh yeah, and don’t forget California doesn’t allow trucks older than 5 or 10 model years or something to operate

Small business is an evil thing that must be destroyed!

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It's almost like electing an incontinent pedophile with a crackhead son isn't working out. If only we knew beforehand.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The ripple effects of this mess combined with the inflation mess haven't even begun to set in yet. Its going to get a lot worse.
I don't think so

I think things are shaking out

we're dealing with the aftermath

people have also learned to live with tightened belts so perhaps we are better suited for this type of disruption and can weather this

crises like this are an opportunity to see where/how the system breaks so we can fix it after the fact

I bet truck driving schools get popular again....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I don't think so

people have also learned to live with tightened belts so perhaps we are better suited for this type of disruption and can weather this

crises like this are an opportunity to see where/how the system breaks so we can fix it after the fact

The economic impacts have only just begun.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The economic impacts have only just begun.
I disagree

look how long before meaningful economic effects landed....besides TP and mask shortages

these things have a delayed response

logistics is a perfect storm of a fragile system that was simply broken by the pandemic

we have shortages of drivers. we have massive inefficiencies in the carrier infrastructure. obviously the teamsters are also putting their sticks in the spokes, too

something like this could be good for us in the long run because we have clearly identified the points of failure and we can go back and reorganize to eliminate them

I also pulled out of the stock market a bit and doubled down on crypto so I may be hopeful, but I'm also hedging

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I disagree

look how long before meaningful economic effects landed....besides TP and mask shortages

these things have a delayed response

logistics is a perfect storm of a fragile system that was simply broken by the pandemic

we have shortages of drivers. we have massive inefficiencies in the carrier infrastructure. obviously the teamsters are also putting their sticks in the spokes, too

something like this could be good for us in the long run because we have clearly identified the points of failure and we can go back and reorganize to eliminate them

I also pulled out of the stock market a bit and doubled down on crypto so I may be hopeful, but I'm also hedging
My view of where things are headed is a lot less optimistic than yours. I think the next 6-8 months things are going to get considerably worse before levelling off or normalizing. Time will tell.

Product shortages, lost income to businesses and individuals due to supply chain issues, increased energy costs, inflation over inflated real estate market. Perfect storm. Old enough to remember what 2007-2011 were like. Batten down the hatches.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't think so

We've had a truck driver shortage for many years, and the pay has been high for a while. Which is owner operators are a thing.

Fook, even Dirty Jobs was being filmed during some of the worst recession years, and the host talks about how strapped those guys were for help. Lots of guys who do those jobs make high 6 to 7 figures.

There seems to be a general disinterest in doing that sort of work. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to do any of that sh!t either :drowning:

Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Because some idiot woman listened to a couple idiot Uber drivers

Oh yeah, and don’t forget California doesn’t allow trucks older than 5 or 10 model years or something to operate

Small business is an evil thing that must be destroyed!
My wife was paid a minimum of $50 hours for up to 2 hours to sit and translate at doctors appointments. Usually she was out after 15-20 minutes, some took a bit longer, and if they exceed 2 hours (which they never did) the $25/hr would continue to accrue. SO UNFAIR!!!!

AB5 eliminated that. Thanks Obama! :toilet:

Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My wife was paid a minimum of $50 hours for up to 2 hours to sit and translate at doctors appointments. Usually she was out after 15-20 minutes, some took a bit longer, and if they exceed 2 hours (which they never did) the $25/hr would continue to accrue. SO UNFAIR!!!!

AB5 eliminated that. Thanks Obama! :toilet:
are you also bilingual?

do you have kids? do they speak the language, too?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
are you also bilingual?

do you have kids? do they speak the language, too?
I’m trilingual (Spanish and Brazo Portuguese) and so is the wife (Spanish and French). No kids yet, but if/when I want them learning multiple languages real early

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Is it a president's job to manipulate international commerce?

A little over a year ago I remember people arguing that it's not the president's job to fight a pandemic and its not a president's job to use the DPA to increase production of PPE, medical equipment, covod tests, and covod vaccines.

Why is this the president's job and what should he do?