Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Why do you hate advanced neck bridges/Matt Furey SO much?

:mad:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Growing up, heard a few fitness ideas that seemed to make some sense to me. Am curious if these ideas have science to back them them up (or not), and since we have some people who purport to know what is real and what is not with regards to getting/being fit, thought I'd ask.

1 Exercise the whole body every other day. This gives the body a chance to repair itself. This "repairing" part is what gets you more fit (or stronger).

2 Exercise just lower half of the body one day, then just upper body the following day, and no taking any days off (or maybe just take one day off a week). This is akin to resting 1/2 the body every day and during this rest is the repair/rebuild step.

3 Exercise flexors one day, extenders the next day, and no taking any days off (or maybe just take one day off a week). This is akin to resting 1/2 the body every day and during this rest is the repair/rebuild step.

4 Exercise the whole body every day, but alternate between fewer but heavy/more difficult weights/positions and more lighter/easier positions, and no taking any days off (or maybe just take one day off a week).

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Growing up, heard a few fitness ideas that seemed to make some sense to me. Am curious if these ideas have science to back them them up (or not), and since we have some people who purport to know what is real and what is not with regards to getting/being fit, thought I'd ask.

1 Exercise the whole body every other day. This gives the body a chance to repair itself. This "repairing" part is what gets you more fit (or stronger).

2 Exercise just lower half of the body one day, then just upper body the following day, and no taking any days off (or maybe just take one day off a week). This is akin to resting 1/2 the body every day and during this rest is the repair/rebuild step.

3 Exercise flexors one day, extenders the next day, and no taking any days off (or maybe just take one day off a week). This is akin to resting 1/2 the body every day and during this rest is the repair/rebuild step.

4 Exercise the whole body every day, but alternate between fewer but heavy/more difficult weights/positions and more lighter/easier positions, and no taking any days off (or maybe just take one day off a week).
I'm not qualified to give you a scientific answer but after three days straight of really fun surf my back is telling me to take a day off...

Reactions: Mr Doof

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

All that matters is your body gets the appropriate amount of stress and recovery over a measurable period of time. When organizing a persons training you take things like time commitment, days available, and exercise preferences into consideration in order to build long term compliance. I default to a three day week because it makes the most sense for most people...train, day off, train day off, train two days off. There's adequate time in there for training and recovery. You can also get great results from just training two days per week. The one thing that always seems to prevail is keeping things simple. You don't need to think about individual muscle groups, flexors/extenders, push/pull etc etc. Simple compound movements is all thats necessary.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm not qualified to give you a scientific answer but after three days straight of really fun surf my back is telling me to take a day off...
Probably a good idea. I'm sure you are physically able to train but there's a mental hurdle there and that mental condition is what removes focus and that's where problems arise. I used to train through it but I began asking myself...for the rest of my life does moving one training day 24 hours really matter? The answer is so simple it's silly.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Humans are highly adaptable

Reactions: Mr Doof

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Probably a good idea. I'm sure you are physically able to train but there's a mental hurdle there and that mental condition is what removes focus and that's where problems arise. I used to train through it but I began asking myself...for the rest of my life does moving one training day 24 hours really matter? The answer is so simple it's silly.
Do you still get out in the surf a bit VM?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So my sore back is a mental hurdle? Surfing is the only thing that provokes it. Not running nor weightlifting. It's gotten better. 3 months ago I wouldn't have surfed 3 days (2+ hours) in a row.

Also, do you train when you're sick? Cold, mild flu?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
So my sore back is a mental hurdle? Surfing is the only thing that provokes it. Not running nor weightlifting. It's gotten better. 3 months ago I wouldn't have surfed 3 days (2+ hours) in a row.

Also, do you train when you're sick? Cold, mild flu?
I was assuming you meant fatigue which is perfectly safe physically to train through using auto regulation but the mental hurdle can effect focus. There's always tomorrow.

I do train while sick. I've drug my ass into the garage feeling terrible and have had some of my best training. If I have a fever I would probably pass but I haven't had that issue.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You don't think that there are potential consequences from prolonged periods of poor and/or uneven posture? At least in terms of chronic pain of varying degrees?
I heard a doctor make a great point about this today...if it were true that posture can cause your spine or joints to move or deform in a specific way....we could just use posture to cure things like scoliosis.

Reactions: PRCD