Infrastructure bill passed - why is this good and why is it bad.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Last mile transports use lots of fuel

Fuel tax ostensibly pays for the roads
It is supposed to but at least in CA, special legislation had to be drafted to keep the most recent gas tax (SB1) $'s from being "re-allocated" to the general fund as has been the norm in the past.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It is supposed to but at least in CA, special legislation had to be drafted to keep the most recent gas tax (SB1) $'s from being "re-allocated" to the general fund as has been the norm in the past.
Hence the vote to repeal that illegal tax (that our idiot fellow citizens didn't repeal)

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
they need to assess electric vehicles with additional taxes since they effectively bypass the user-pays mechanism of the tax levied at the pumps.
Per-mile tax makes the most sense, but only if gas taxes were repealed so regular people don't get double-fucked

Or just a large flat fee added to registration or something

All things that go against the agenda of the Green Revolution people

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Why did AOC vote against it?

Failure to fund the Chinese hypersonic nuclear missile program?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
another non-solution - i should have said "realistic alternatives". there aren't any, except do the best you can under the current framework of government and spending. i am as cynical as anyone, but i know that there are local pols in my county who are already counting on this money and i know some of it will actually end up where it needs to be (for example, we have a port that needs to be dredged and i have no doubt it will get done because it matters to everyone here and everyone is watching).

so yes, this is as good as it gets because there is currently no other alternative to funding infrastructure improvement. deal with it - dismissing it is less than counter-productive.

edit: i can remember a time when particular projects - road/highway/bridge/waterway/whatever - often had big signs that told you "this project is directly funded by whatever bill/act/program/package of 19-whatever, as steered by whomever prez/gov/Senator/congressperson was in office, in whatever state blah blah blah". a victory lap, for sure, but effective - tangible legit tax dollar expenditure needs to be seen.

virtually signaling or whatever, like it or not, things do occasionally get accomplished and this is how.
No doubt some projects will get done. I was being a bit sarcastic but not too far off base with my comment. Your community is stocked that you will get a benefit.

Unfortunately I'm super cynical too and I live in CA. I'm sure CA will receive some rail money. It should go towards moving the tracks from the bluffs in Del Mar but that makes too much sense and it will go towards funding another mile or two of our great HSR boondoggle that will never get killed nor completed......