Custom Order Deposits: Refund Seeking

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My last two customs sent me an invoice with Dims and model that you had to approve and pay the deposit for before they moved forward with your order. Seemed like a good way to do business.

But honestly, these are surfboards. You should have a pretty general idea about what you want before you order. My last two orders I gave the dims to the shaper and didn't ask for input. My last order was just .5 inches wider than stock. Some people are just completely clueless and not truthful when it comes to how well they surf.

Reactions: YakAk

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I think it's a bit presumptuous giving complete dims to some shapers. I only order weird boards, so if I order a Tomo, a MOTE or a Burch, I usually only give the length, then some feedback about the waves I surf, my own personal dims (ft, kg), a qualifier or two ("with a bit girth"/"not too boaty") and a quick explanation of how much I riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip. Haven't had a lame duck yet, so they seem to know what they're doing...

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
most people arent very realistic when it comes to what they should be riding.
But if they are, it's like a super power.

Not blowing my own trumpet, but by knowing what works for me and what I can be riding to maximise certain conditions at certain breaks I can get a clear equipment advantage over a lot of other recreational surfers.
That takes custom equipment, usually.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
But if they are, it's like a super power.

Not blowing my own trumpet, but by knowing what works for me and what I can be riding to maximise certain conditions at certain breaks I can get a clear equipment advantage over a lot of other recreational surfers.
That takes custom equipment, usually.
no doubt about it.

ive been on the flip side and ordered thing a little too refined for me based of what i thought i knew.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Last month I sent a 1k Venmo deposit to get into a shaper’s queue. He said $500 would do it but I wanted to send double so it’d be a little less on the other end. He clearly stated the wait will be around 18mo. He‘ll call me at 15mo. to discuss the quiver I want to order so he can get the correct blanks rounded up. I know a couple erBB members that are about a year into this queue and it seems to be moving at a consistent pace. He said if I ever want to get out(I won’t), he’ll immediately return the deposit. In the meantime I’ll have plenty of time to decide what models/sizes/colors/stringers I want
1000k?! IF that isn't a big wave gun that your life depends on, it better come with eye-contact-crome-off-a-trailer-hitch-level-dome, several post-session handies w/your favorite coffee, a set of fiberglass fins, and a motherF()cking flux capcitor

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I see zero problem ordering a board that takes 18 months......if the shaper communicates that timeline beforehand and that timeline is close. You have the option to not go forward with the order and go elsewhere if you need/want something sooner.

I have plenty of boards that I've wanted for a long time. An 18 month wait wouldn't change that.

Would I rather have it sooner, sure, but when you find a shaper/board that you really like the wait is worth it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'd fault the shop counter person at least as much as the customer for not getting width/thickness or something else to square away with length - eg 'stock' if you're ordering straight off the menu.

I've only ever ordered custom from a local shaper. erBBer bobwarren says the Duval guys are busy. The past few days notwithstanding, we got the short end of the surf stick but shaper-wise, the general quality of custom experience seems pretty dang high around here. North (Florida) Shore on that front - now with literally Chandler!

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I see zero problem ordering a board that takes 18 months......if the shaper communicates that timeline beforehand and that timeline is close. You have the option to not go forward with the order and go elsewhere if you need/want something sooner.

I have plenty of boards that I've wanted for a long time. An 18 month wait wouldn't change that.

Would I rather have it sooner, sure, but when you find a shaper/board that you really like the wait is worth it.
it's all about communication.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I love ordering stretch boards.

Dylan will get you dialed.

I ordered an extremely custom glider from them. Dylan got stretch over and they went over it together with me.

That’s the kind of stuff I want. Especially if I am dropping 2000
This+1 and Dave and averagejoe before him all made 100% sure my board(s) came out right:cheers: