Album Surfboards

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Matt seems to be making all the Lightbenders with a wing now. Think it makes a difference? Like if you rode a regular version and the winged version, think you could tell them apart?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Matt seems to be making all the Lightbenders with a wing now. Think it makes a difference? Like if you rode a regular version and the winged version, think you could tell them apart?
I think it would depend of the surfer’s ability level and types of waves surfed. Confirmation bias also plays a big part.

I love listening-in to adult beginner/intermediates proselytizing with their equally inept buddy on how this 1/16” difference of whatever on their “magic” board will be “game changing” to their bend-at-the-waist buddy.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Inquired. He said the winged version would be better for the beachies I surf. It would be 'more spicy'
Wing makes the LB outline a bit more similar to the Twinsman, no?
I realize TM has a flatter deck and the foam is distributed differently. I rarely sarf beachbreak; but I love the LB in the reefs.
Personally, I do like a wing tho… was almost using that to justify talking myself into a carbon swallowtail Twinsman this week. LOL.
:socrazy:
Bros, I need less time on a computer and more time in the water.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Am I alone in preferring my plasmic at beach breaks and lightbender at points and reefs?

something I only recently noticed but I think I don’t like the plasmic as much on open faces but maybe bc I’ve been running pivot templates all summer.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Am I alone in preferring my plasmic at beach breaks and lightbender at points and reefs?

something I only recently noticed but I think I don’t like the plasmic as much on open faces but maybe bc I’ve been running pivot templates all summer.
Makes sense as Plasmic tighter turning radius. imho
I still like the Plasmic in wedging reef up to HH, but it doesn’t like to draw out turns as much as LB or TMRP

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
My go-tos at the moment, are a 5' 4" Plasmic, 5' 4" Will's fish, and 5' 8" Twinsman, with the Plasmic being the one that I grab the most. For a relatively new board, I am beating the **** out of it. The pitchier the wave, the more I prefer the Twinsman, as I don't need the speed generation that Plasmic creates. I love the playfulness of the Plasmic and when starting in the whitewater it gets you out of that back in the greenwater so well, and the Twinsman feels like this in the better wave. The Will's fish falls somewhere in-between.

I sold the 5' 10" roundtail Twinsman, preferred the shorter swallowtail. I am debating my next YOLO, I kind of want to try even shorter, narrower Plasmic owing to the pure fun factor.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
My go-tos at the moment, are a 5' 4" Plasmic, 5' 4" Will's fish, and 5' 8" Twinsman, with the Plasmic being the one that I grab the most. For a relatively new board, I am beating the **** out of it. The pitchier the wave, the more I prefer the Twinsman, as I don't need the speed generation that Plasmic creates. I love the playfulness of the Plasmic and when starting in the whitewater it gets you out of that back in the greenwater so well, and the Twinsman feels like this in the better wave. The Will's fish falls somewhere in-between.

I sold the 5' 10" roundtail Twinsman, preferred the shorter swallowtail. I am debating my next YOLO, I kind of want to try even shorter, narrower Plasmic owing to the pure fun factor.
What are your human dims to go along with your 5’4 plasmic? Considering a plasmic yolo myself. The guys at album were recommending a stock 5’6” for me at 6’1 and 190 lb.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
What are your human dims to go along with your 5’4 plasmic? Considering a plasmic yolo myself. The guys at album were recommending a stock 5’6” for me at 6’1 and 190 lb.
I am 5' 8ish, around 170lbs.

Reactions: SD_Dan