***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It paddles great. Don't worry.

It's the strangest looking board, with the wide point back, rocker between the feet, narrowish but rounded nose etc.
But heck it goes. It is super smooth, and you can turn it real hard and snappy off the top.

I would really like a 6'4 Middy as a DD. Would be a very good board for our long points, I reckon.

Reactions: Lfmr76

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Rusty Surfboards has been talking about getting this mid length, dubbed the Egg Not, on their site for some time now. I am anxious to see the full range of standard dims. For now, they have a few different sizes up in their In Stock boards section of the site:

Awhile back I had written them about this board and Rusty himself sent a design to me for consideration. It was a 7.0' that was around 43L, but the 7.0' above is listed at 48L. Will be interesting to see what he finalizes, as the last I've heard he was still tweaking the design and pulled in the nose a bit more.

Reactions: Sprinkles695

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I find it kinda odd to see people jump on the mid length egg bandwagon with the big shapers when several underground dude have been doing these non stop since the 70's?
Not sure if you’re referring to the Rusty, but the big guy himself has been riding these for like 30+ years. Always shaped a lot of them as customs too- just not marketed.
but yeah, I’d generally agree about Ci, Lost, FW, Chili, JS, even Pyzel- though I don’t begrudge them jumping on the trend.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Not sure if you’re referring to the Rusty, but the big guy himself has been riding these for like 30+ years. Always shaped a lot of them as customs too- just not marketed.
but yeah, I’d generally agree about Ci, Lost, FW, Chili, JS, even Pyzel- though I don’t begrudge them jumping on the trend.
Re the Chilli, he says it's what he made for himself three years ago when recovering from an injury.

And that board is so different from all the other mid lengths I've seen, all of which are derivatives of San Diego eggs - WP forward, flat rockered, etc etc.

Reactions: sdsrfr

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The Rusty doesn't look one I'd like myself but no reason every shaper shouldn't have one in their offerings. Think CI actually did a good job with theirs involving Devon Howard. I rode a friends recently and like the way it rode, pretty similar to one I had made off a Takayama Howard Mini (no surprise) but the rails are a little harder in the tail.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Re the Chilli, he says it's what he made for himself three years ago when recovering from an injury.

And that board is so different from all the other mid lengths I've seen, all of which are derivatives of San Diego eggs - WP forward, flat rockered, etc etc.
Maz is correct here. I have a couple and they‘re damn fun. Perfect midlength for someone used to riding thrusters or small lightweight boards. No beak nose, narrower and thinner than most midlengths. Check the outlines and rockers:
E4E2B2C0-A773-40B0-8E12-21EAC28DF8E9.jpegD007DB81-7EC0-493C-ACEF-58F675058087.jpeg1E5AE472-5A73-4569-BBE7-CE8B4D073708.jpeg78D66875-F80C-4DE4-88B9-363DA6D100D2.jpeg

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Haven't ridden one, but I think Pyzel's is pretty tuned to good waves.
Local shop got a few in a couple weeks ago. Like the Chilli, it’s definitely narrower than most midlengths. The rails are more 50/50 than the thruster rails of the Chilli and rocker is way flatter

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I wonder at what point when you make them more shortboard-y do you loose the glide and flow of an egg and end up with just an unwieldy shortboard.

Not saying the Chilli or Pyzel do this but am curious.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I wonder at what point when you make them more shortboard-y do you loose the glide and flow of an egg and end up with just an unwieldy shortboard.

Yeah…depends where you surf, how you surf and what you’re after

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

you end up with a very capable egg. My GH works in both good and bad surf. Very shortboardy rails and nose flip. Still works down to waist high and high lines sections that should not be made.

at some point these were turned into adult learner crutches. I recall the no-name fubboard I had in the early 00s had a decent amount of rocker and it just worked in everything.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Just watching this clip of Blacks...the surfers on the mid lengths (fun boards) are collectively quite ok to watch (The Wookie on the longboard is not included) compared to the flailing and general bogging going on with the shortboarder rank and file. You can tell by the body language plenty of them thought they were ripping the bag out of those waves but Yeah...Nah!

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA