Custom Order Deposits: Refund Seeking

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
For those that have pulled a deposit...

How long did you wait past stated lead time to seek refund?

How did you communicate this with shaper?

What exactly do you say to your credit card company to get the money back (assuming the shaper doesn't refund it)?

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Just talk to him - her

I have one board that took a Really long time due to machine problems
Willing to give the deposit back but the customer hung in there

End result is a really special board
Wish it was that easy.

I'm sure you communicated all of this to your customer. In my (hypothetical) situation, things would be fine on my end with some honest and timely communication. When counting reply time in weeks and getting vague email responses (blah, blah, board's looking good...done soon), it becomes difficult to just talk to the shaper.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I had the same thing happen, I eventually pulled the plug after 7 months. The shaper initially refunded $200, but I had to contact the credit card company to get the the full amount back. I think it took about 3 months, after starting the process with the claims department, sorry to hear, that sucks man.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Last month I sent a 1k Venmo deposit to get into a shaper’s queue. He said $500 would do it but I wanted to send double so it’d be a little less on the other end. He clearly stated the wait will be around 18mo. He‘ll call me at 15mo. to discuss the quiver I want to order so he can get the correct blanks rounded up. I know a couple erBB members that are about a year into this queue and it seems to be moving at a consistent pace. He said if I ever want to get out(I won’t), he’ll immediately return the deposit. In the meantime I’ll have plenty of time to decide what models/sizes/colors/stringers I want

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Im kinda in the same situation but i paid cash:foreheadslap: Im not even stoked on getting it anymore if it does get shaped.The erbb has shown that otr yolo instant gratification is the way and thats what im going to do next time
I'm 58 and I'm looking at Waxduryl's post and reading 18 months wait for boards and thinking at my age I might not be around tomorrow never mind 18 months time. The shaper I'm currently using has a 1-2 week turnaround. Never mind YOLO...what about Carp diem!
:roflmao:
Edit: Wonder what is Latin for Seize the board?

Last edited:

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I ordered two new customs in the last 90 days. One from smaller local shaper who's made me boards previously. No deposit required. Board ready in 30 days (plain white 6'0 which he said made the turn around a bit quicker). 2nd was from a older, long time shaper in N. County. Never had met him or dealt with him previously. No deposit required. Board was done in 6 weeks.

Not sure any of this matters in regards to the question. Maybe I was just lucky. Like both boards too!

I can't imagine even wanting a board if the shaper said he was 18 months out.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
You kinda have to suss out the order process before making the order if youve never gone with that shaper before.

I’ve drawn the line at slow to reply to emails followed by requesting a deposit paid via snail-mail check to a house in leucadia. Thx, but not thx. Went to Mitch’s and bought OTR instead.

good luck with your refund.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
You kinda have to suss out the order process before making the order if youve never gone with that shaper before.

I’ve drawn the line at slow to reply to emails followed by requesting a deposit paid via snail-mail check to a house in leucadia. Thx, but not thx. Went to Mitch’s and bought OTR instead.

good luck with your refund.
Mandala? Name and shame people!

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Last month I sent a 1k Venmo deposit to get into a shaper’s queue. He said $500 would do it but I wanted to send double so it’d be a little less on the other end. He clearly stated the wait will be around 18mo. He‘ll call me at 15mo. to discuss the quiver I want to order so he can get the correct blanks rounded up. I know a couple erBB members that are about a year into this queue and it seems to be moving at a consistent pace. He said if I ever want to get out(I won’t), he’ll immediately return the deposit. In the meantime I’ll have plenty of time to decide what models/sizes/colors/stringers I want
Lovelace?