The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Awesome. You think the 7 Seas is good enough or would go for the High Seas and pay a little extra?
I think the high seas are cold(er) h20 suits and 7 seas is more flexible suited if I remember right :shrug: I was going to score one after not being able to score a 4/3 hooded hyperfreak but scored 'bong instead from cleanline :shaka:

Reactions: ReForest

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
WTF? You're wearing a 3/2 in 16 degree water? Don't care if that's F or C, that's cold as fark.
Also, regarding "Tiny pinhole leak on inner thigh seam from the start, but it hasn't gotten worse since then."
Why is that even possible with new wetsuits in this day and age??!! Always the weak point, which you think
would be reinforced on every suit made. Only place my suits ever leak.
To confirm for our USA friends, 16 degrees is Celsius, the units of the world!!

That's the bottom end of the range where I live. In winter it normally hovers around 17 - 18 (63 - 65 F) and I am totally comfortable in the Rippy flashbomb 3/2.

Regarding the weak point in the seams, I agree. The problem is that the "technology" for joining wetsuit panels together is still decades old, despite the fuzzy liners, technobabble3, firewalls, yamamoto #52345 "improvements".

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
To confirm for our USA friends, 16 degrees is Celsius, the units of the world!!

That's the bottom end of the range where I live. In winter it normally hovers around 17 - 18 (63 - 65 F) and I am totally comfortable in the Rippy flashbomb 3/2.

Regarding the weak point in the seams, I agree. The problem is that the "technology" for joining wetsuit panels together is still decades old, despite the fuzzy liners, technobabble3, firewalls, yamamoto #52345 "improvements".
There are two kinds of countries.

Countries capable of sending a person to the moon.

And countries that use the metric system.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Awesome. You think the 7 Seas is good enough or would go for the High Seas and pay a little extra?
The High Seas' upper torso material is much more flexible than the Seven Seas' on last years' models. My 4/3 High Seas zipperless flap is much easier to get over my head than my 2mm Isurus Shield short arm. I don't think there's too much difference in the lower torso/legs between the High and Seven Seas, but I'm basing that on 20/21 suits.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Dude. as much as you surf, for a few more bucks, get the best one you can afford. 7Seas is their basic suit so I’d think you’d appreciate an extra bell or whistle. just my 2 cents.
I dont mind paying a little extra, but i've learned that more expensive doesnt always mean better. I mean... for the most part it does, but i just wanted to hear it on here first.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Trunks to 3/2 to 4/3, same board works fine.

3/2 to 5/4, if you’re not used to the cold and/or wearing a 5/4, its like fucking with Russian rubbers.

a little extra float in the board is nice for the positive feedback and helps remove the feeling like you’re slowly floating off your board while paddling.

ymmv of course. I only wear my 5/4 a handful of times per year while up north and when I do everything feels weird so I’ll take as much cheat as I can get.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Part of the issue is that a 5/4 also implies thick boots and gloves and a hood. So all your senses are a bit attenuated as well as everything being a little more difficult and slower. You loose a step.

I've never had different boards for winter, but I often have thought about it. But after a few sessions in a 5/4 you get used to it. Fortunately it's usually a little more powerful so grabbing a step up with a little more volume isn't out of the question.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
@ReForest join me- I just YOLO’d a 4/3 High Seas chest zip…was gonna pull the trigger on a zipperless Isurus but couldn’t make myself pay almost $150 more for a suit, especially if it’s gonna be a pain to get in and out of (zipperless suits never agree with my inflexible shoulders).
Also, gotta save that $ for surfboard YOLOs!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@ReForest join me- I just YOLO’d a 4/3 High Seas chest zip…was gonna pull the trigger on a zipperless Isurus but couldn’t make myself pay almost $150 more for a suit, especially if it’s gonna be a pain to get in and out of (zipperless suits never agree with my inflexible shoulders).
Also, gotta save that $ for surfboard YOLOs!
I realize I may be alone on this island, but for me zipperless 3mil is just as easy to get in/out as chest zip- if not easier- because it stretches more. my 2mil and backup 3/2 are chest zip and I also notice my shoulders/ neck don’t get as sore from paddling as chest zip which is the main reason I prefer it. I’ve never been so satisfied by a wetsuit. But you do you, to each his own, etc.

Reactions: tedshred5

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
@sdsrfr DUDE!! I've had conversations with people about this and they think im crazy, but the thicker suits actually maybe you more buoyant from the air trapped in the suit. People have said to liter-up for winter boards, but actually, if you have a thicker suit and thicker board, its too much float.
How often are you fully submerged while standing on your surfboard?

How often are you fully submerged while paddling?

Do this…

Get your wetsuits fully soaked (as if you just got done surfing a bunch) and weigh them.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I realize I may be alone on this island, but for me zipperless 3mil is just as easy to get in/out as chest zip- if not easier- because it stretches more. my 2mil and backup 3/2 are chest zip and I also notice my shoulders/ neck don’t get as sore from paddling as chest zip which is the main reason I prefer it. I’ve never been so satisfied by a wetsuit. But you do you, to each his own, etc.
I had to start doing yoga so I can get out of my Isurus chest zip.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I’ll +1 the entry/exit on the 3mm zip free Isurus. No different than any chest zips I’ve worn. Also echo that the freedom in the shoulders is really good. The way the suit is cut, you kinda feel your arms being pulled along (in a good way) while paddling.

Reactions: urchined and sh3

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What's the consensus on sizing the Isurus suits? I'm 6'3 x 180 so basically right between LT and LTS...

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
What's the consensus on sizing the Isurus suits? I'm 6'3 x 180 so basically right between LT and LTS...
I sized down. 6’0 x 185 (was 180 when I ordered) and I’m in a MT. Every one of my other suits is L.
LTS fit ok just a little long at my height, would probably be money for you.

Reactions: Aruka