The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I had decent luck w/ my 5/4 hyperfreak hooded. lacks some of the premium touches of the Psychotech but overall warmth and flexibility were about on par.

for someone like Kento coming from a 4/3 quicksilver i reckon it will be a pretty huge upgrade.
Thanks. It's actually been pretty temperate lately, mid-50s air and water but I remember many blustery days last winter/spring. First time wearing a suit like this (chest zip, hood) so will be interesting. The flexibility aspect is a major plus.

When you all talk about it being uncomfortable in wind, how much wind are we talking?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks. It's actually been pretty temperate lately, mid-50s air and water but I remember many blustery days last winter/spring. First time wearing a suit like this (chest zip, hood) so will be interesting. The flexibility aspect is a major plus.

When you all talk about it being uncomfortable in wind, how much wind are we talking?
For me and my 3mm hyperfreak comp I do not feel wind under 12mph but when it gets 20mph and you are waiting for sets you can feel it. For warmth and flex my 'Bong furnace 4/3 hood is nice.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Just finishing up my first winter season in a 3/2 Rip Curl flashbomb. Here's my review so far:
  1. Used in air temps down to 3 degrees, water down to 16 degrees without getting cold (and I feel the cold).
  2. Extremely warm. Definitely warmer than my Needs Ultra Premium 3/2 which was warm but quite stiff.
    Very flexible for a "warm" suit.
  3. Tiny pinhole leak on inner thigh seam from the start, but it hasn't gotten worse since then.
  4. Dries quickly, or at least the fuzzy liner does. It seems to repel water more than other suits I've had.
Overall, It's a great suit. Is it worth the price premium over the Needs suit? Probably; I reckon it will last another season on top of the Needs suit.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I need a new hooded wetsuit. Here are my choices. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1. Vissla - 7 Seas 4/3 Hooded Full Suit - $326.00 with Tax & Shipping OTD.
2. Billabong - 4/3 Furnace Comp Chest Zip Hooded Full Wetsuit - $391.00 w/ T&S OTD
3. Matuse - DANTE W/ Hydrasilk 5/4MM HOODED V.3 - $361.00 w/ T&S OTD
4. Volte - PREMIUM MENS 4.5 ZIPPERLESS HOODED - $364.00 w/ T&S OTD

They all seem to be about the same. The warranty is important because at some point within 12 months i think all of them will leak in some area. I'm leaning towards the billabong, only because i've had a furnace comp and it was toasty! But i'd love to try a Matuse (i heard they are luxurious) and i'd also like to try a Vissla. Even though Vissla is the cheapest, i've heard really good things about their suits.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Just finishing up my first winter season in a 3/2 Rip Curl flashbomb. Here's my review so far:
  1. Used in air temps down to 3 degrees, water down to 16 degrees without getting cold (and I feel the cold).
  2. Extremely warm. Definitely warmer than my Needs Ultra Premium 3/2 which was warm but quite stiff.
    Very flexible for a "warm" suit.
  3. Tiny pinhole leak on inner thigh seam from the start, but it hasn't gotten worse since then.
  4. Dries quickly, or at least the fuzzy liner does. It seems to repel water more than other suits I've had.
Overall, It's a great suit. Is it worth the price premium over the Needs suit? Probably; I reckon it will last another season on top of the Needs suit.

WTF? You're wearing a 3/2 in 16 degree water? Don't care if that's F or C, that's cold as fark.
Also, regarding "Tiny pinhole leak on inner thigh seam from the start, but it hasn't gotten worse since then."
Why is that even possible with new wetsuits in this day and age??!! Always the weak point, which you think
would be reinforced on every suit made. Only place my suits ever leak.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I need a new hooded wetsuit. Here are my choices. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2. Billabong - 4/3 Furnace Comp Chest Zip Hooded Full Wetsuit - $391.00 w/ T&S OTD

They all seem to be about the same. The warranty is important because at some point within 12 months i think all of them will leak in some area. I'm leaning towards the billabong, only because i've had a furnace comp and it was toasty! But i'd love to try a Matuse (i heard they are luxurious) and i'd also like to try a Vissla. Even though Vissla is the cheapest, i've heard really good things about their suits.
1 or 2. Zero need for a 5/4 here unless you plan to surf way up north a bunch. Haven't tried either 1 or 2, though.

Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

4- heard good things Volte
1- decent value suit
3- but 5/4 is overkill unless you’re surfing 40 water. That thick will be much stiffer than you’re used to (!)

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
my fren has a zipperless vissla and the zipperless deal came apart twice. aside from that he said it was comfy.
That’s a bummer. Mine (High Seas 4/3) has been fine and I probably wore it 3-5 days a week for six months+.

The Vissla’s cord is way too long, but you just tuck it in under the chest/shoulder flap. At least it works, which I can’t say for my Isurus’ 2.2 Shield short arm’s doohickey.

I don’t need to cinch anything down on it, but if I did, their cord/cinch system is a nonfunctioning accoutrement.

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Not the Matuse

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
16 C is low 60s F, maybe on the lower end of a 3/2 range but not out of the question. Have worn a 3/2 into the mid 50s for shorter surfs no problem.
Upper 50s = booties come on. Under 55 gloves go on. Under 53 hood goes on. Under 50, balls go in torso cavity.

Under 55 still cuts the crowd around here. Very few people have 4/3. Just not worth it vs gritting your teeth for a month every few winters.

Helps motivate to stay busy vs sitting and getting too picky.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

My 4/3 hooded High Seas Vissla is crazy warm (same price as you show the 7 seas for). The 4mm is really thick and doesn't dry all that fast but it is warm. Seems well made, not many seams, no smooth skin. I've worn it about 7 times recently in offshore winds.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
WTF? You're wearing a 3/2 in 16 degree water? Don't care if that's F or C, that's cold as fark.
Also, regarding "Tiny pinhole leak on inner thigh seam from the start, but it hasn't gotten worse since then."
Why is that even possible with new wetsuits in this day and age??!! Always the weak point, which you think
would be reinforced on every suit made. Only place my suits ever leak.
Maybe centigrade? 16 would be 60 fahrenheit.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Only had my 4/3 furnace w/ hood almost one winter got it middle winter last year and more then enough suit for SD you well be sweatin'. Suit has really nice bells and whistles that actually work well and are really nice function ie: hood, cinch cord, and front zipper etc. Super flexible and pretty fast drying suit but only time well tell if it last. Good news all seams etc nice built and looks like good design.

Reactions: Aruka and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@sdsrfr DUDE!! I've had conversations with people about this and they think im crazy, but the thicker suits actually maybe you more buoyant from the air trapped in the suit. People have said to liter-up for winter boards, but actually, if you have a thicker suit and thicker board, its too much float.

@ChaseTMP I love Isurus, but their Zipperless is a very crappy design. I dont know whats wrong with it and why it doesnt work, but it doesnt... and i've heard several people say that.

@rice This is the advice I was looking for. I've never had a Vissla, but heard great things about them. I think i'm gonna go with that suit. Thanks for the feedback.

@rowjimmytour My furnace was super stretchy and super warm. That graphine Griff talks about is no joke. Super warm and comfy. But the seams in the crotch leaked after a few months. I mailed it to Billabong and it still leaked. Then they gave me a discount code for a new suit and let me keep the furnace, so it just sits in the closet. But i love it when i first got it.