Hypothetical Lineup Engineering

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Don't know if it counts, but as a young grom in the late 60's early 70's heavily influenced by Tom Morey, I would mark the perfect take off spot at my home break fronting our beach house with a giant bouncy balloon, some fishing line and a big rock. That way I would know the exact spot to paddle back out to instead of trying to line up points on the shore to get my bearings. Just paddle back out to the balloon before the next set. Was fun while it lasted. Good for when you're surfing by your self or just with another and there's no set lineup sitting there. It's take a while watching from shore an in the water to figure this out but back then there wasn't too many people in the water especially on junk days.

I like Bud's engineering idea. Like "hey you caught enough waves already time to go in"
I remember when people were told that ll the time..
Rationing the resource

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Luckily my stretch of shoreline has a good bit of curve to it and evenly spaced jetties along the curve. Also the dredge pulls sand off a sandbar that in my youth blocked swell energy from reaching the beach.
As someone two states south of you, I've always been jealous of the beach/jetties you speak of. The downtown jetties here used to be prominent and relatively metered in their spacing more like up there but they let them go. They realized the cons involved in diverting the natural sand migration.
Our jetties are folklore now, but no one listens to the crispy old jetty rats. I just feed the seagulls tell myself stories of the old times and stare off toward the horizon, where the shoals shadow the power now and evermore.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
There's a closeout in the middle of the reef that protects the lagoon in front of my house (Lahaina 505 between Breakwall and Shark Pit). On certain swells it works as a really fast left with some impossible sections. I've always though it would only take a few bags of cement and a day with a pick axe to make it a world class barrelling reef break.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
There's a closeout in the middle of the reef that protects the lagoon in front of my house (Lahaina 505 between Breakwall and Shark Pit). On certain swells it works as a really fast left with some impossible sections. I've always though it would only take a few bags of cement and a day with a pick axe to make it a world class barrelling reef break.
I lived on Maui long ago. I always thought Sharkpit was a manmade cut into the reef for a small boat channel. I might be wrong. Saw one of the old FLA pros. (forgot who) riding a finless board just sliding sideways inside tube, after perfect tube. Was on the N shore of Molokai, looked like a paradise could be made with a reef cutting system.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I lived on Maui long ago. I always thought Sharkpit was a manmade cut into the reef for a small boat channel. I might be wrong. Saw one of the old FLA pros. (forgot who) riding a finless board just sliding sideways inside tube, after perfect tube. Was on the N shore of Molokai, looked like a paradise could be made with a reef cutting system.
I'm pretty sure it's from a stream that no longer exists. It seems to be closing up from lack of fresh water. Here's a photo of the left at Shark Pit my girlfriend took during the last swell. She'd want me to plug her instagram so @TheLiquid_LensA9_07366.jpg

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Ala Moana Bowls and Kaiser’s are man made due to dredging both epic waves. According to the old timers Garbage Holes was even better. That was the right that was lost by the building of Magic Island and the break walls. Kewalos Point and Point Panic also made due to dredging.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Years ago they did a nearshore sand flow study at Blacks. They anchored several tripods to the ocean floor in several locations. One of the tripods was placed close to the southern end of the middle peak take off zone. It made middle peak noticeably better. Once the study was over, they removed the tripods and middle peak went back to its old self.