Free Landscaping Rocks

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Anyone in San Diego interested in free volcanic landscaping rocks. We had to remove a large volcanic/pyroclastic rock from our yard for a project we have going on. To remove it, we had to break it into pieces (sorry Kento). These rocks are perfect for a retaining wall or dry-scape and are free to anyone whom wants them. Location is Cardiff east of the 5 near the Elks Lodge. Any interested parties please PM meYard Rocks1.jpgYard Rocks2.jpgYard Rocks3.jpg

Reactions: Boneroni

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Free is a great deal. We just had some boulders installed on a hill in our yard for terracing/erosion control. Rocks aren't cheap.
Yeah I dug up some bricks to make room for asphalt and put them on C List for free. I was getting calls in minutes, and they were gone within a few hours :roflmao:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Free is a great deal. We just had some boulders installed on a hill in our yard for terracing/erosion control. Rocks aren't cheap.
no , they aren't. and boulders aren't either. bought big white boulders for either side of the driveway 10 years ago or so, each was about the size of an large ottoman...i seem to recall they were like $300-$400 each. plus delivery.

pro tip: when buying boulders for the garden, make sure you are there when they are delivered, for optimum angle and placement. otherwise, you will likely be stuck with whatever POV your wife selected, because once they are down and the delivery guy is gone, they are a bitch to move.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Years ago I needed some river boulders for my backyard landscape. I had a pickup truck so I drove up into Holy Jim Canyon river basin and loaded up the bed of the truck. These were basket ball size to twice that size which was the biggest my buddy and I could lift into the bed.

Evidently it is frowned upon (illegal) to remove river boulders from watershed areas like that. Hey.. I was young and didn't know any better. They are really nice boulders though and I still have them. :)

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Not boulders but we have 140m X 15M X XM of river rock in front of the house. River rock here is a long term goldmine. The gift that keeps on giving.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Not boulders but we have 140m X 15M X XM of river rock in front of the house. River rock here is a long term goldmine. The gift that keeps on giving.
i used to work in Idaho a long time ago ... had a commute that took me up the Clearwater River pretty regularly, so i used to pull over regularly and grab a football-sized river rock or two. over time, i managed to accumulate enough river rock to lay a good-sized path, maybe 40 feet long, two foot wide between the house and the vegetable garden.

i loved that path and it was probably the first thing the ex-Mrs. Sussle got rid of after we split up and she got the house. :cry:

edit, and yes, it was certainly wrong to do take those rocks and probably illegal, but 25 years ago nobody gave a fook and you weren't likely to get filmed doing it. plus picking up river rocks out of the Clearwater River is something like picking up handfuls of sand off the beach, in terms of environmental impact. so there's that.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: LifeOnMars

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i used to work in Idaho a long time ago ... had a commute that took me up the Clearwater River pretty regularly, so i used to pull regularly and grab a football-sized river rock or two. over time, i managed to accumulate enough river rock to lay a good-sized path, maybe 40 feet long, two foot wide between the house and the vegetable garden.

i loved that path and it was probably the first thing the ex-Mrs. Sussle got rid of after we split up and she got the house. :cry:

edit, and yes, it was certainly wrong to do take those rocks and probably illegal, but 25 years ago nobody gave a fook and you weren't likely to get filmed doing it. plus picking up river rocks out of the Clearwater River is something like picking up handfuls of sand off the beach, in terms of environmental impact. so there's that.
Organized sand theft is a thing. Mostly for construction, but also for personal use. Some couple got popped in Sardinia (that appears to have exceptionally nice sand) with a few suitcases worth a few years ago :drowning: :roflmao:

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Anyone in San Diego interested in free volcanic landscaping rocks. We had to remove a large volcanic/pyroclastic rock from our yard for a project we have going on. To remove it, we had to break it into pieces (sorry Kento). These rocks are perfect for a retaining wall or dry-scape and are free to anyone whom wants them. Location is Cardiff east of the 5 near the Elks Lodge. Any interested parties please PM meView attachment 118586View attachment 118587View attachment 118588
do you think they can be reassembled?

Reactions: npsp

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I have a corner lot and looking to put boulders in place to protect from bad drivers. Thinking a few 4' will do the trick. Haven't priced yet.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
I have a corner lot and looking to put boulders in place to protect from bad drivers. Thinking a few 4' will do the trick. Haven't priced yet.
it's a great look and will certainly provide you with good cover for defending the homestead when the Zombie Apocalypse goes down. (y)

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
On vacation as a kid we pulled over some mountain road in the Appalachian, 20 rocks later Mom had a rock garden circle thing.
Stone and anything useful like that is prohibitively expense, so you end up giving a little extra thought to the features you might create, instead of haphazardly dispersal.