North Shore. Where To Stay?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Looking to do a late season father son trip. Late February or early March. What's the best way to line up accommodations? AirBnB? What's the deal with the listings saying a 30 day stay?
craigslist is popular to use in HI, I'd browse there and try to contact some properties directly. Indo would be crowded and back to normal pricing also a bit too early in the season. I'd say you should probably go somewhere different than HI. maybe Caribbean or Centro, closer and cheaper, probably better surf too. what you see in the mags/videos ain't real life, the wind and conditions can be sh!t for weeks on end on the NS

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
craigslist is popular to use in HI, I'd browse there and try to contact some properties directly. Indo would be crowded and back to normal pricing also a bit too early in the season. I'd say you should probably go somewhere different than HI. maybe Caribbean or Centro, closer and cheaper, probably better surf too. what you see in the mags/videos ain't real life, the wind and conditions can be sh!t for weeks on end on the NS
I've done the Caribbean the past two winters. Its always an easy inexpensive option. Goofy foot grom excels in hollow surf and wants to give the North Shore a go. Grom hates the crowds and the soft rights he's encountered on every Caribbean trip he's been on. The Carribean trips he's been along for have been perfect for a 50 year old regularfoot but not so much for a teenage goofyfoot ripper who prefers hollow waves. We've never gotten skunked down there but he's never been along to see it really fire.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've done the Caribbean the past two winters. Its always an easy inexpensive option. Goofy foot grom excels in hollow surf and wants to give the North Shore a go. Grom hates the crowds and the soft rights he's encountered on every Caribbean trip he's been on. The Carribean trips he's been along for have been perfect for a 50 year old regularfoot but not so much for a teenage goofyfoot ripper who prefers hollow waves. We've never gotten skunked down there but he's never been along to see it really fire.
To be fair...
PR
Nica
Bocas
Puerto in the summer

all places to get tubed.

But the NS has its appeal.

Reactions: Sprinkles695

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Looking to do a late season father son trip. Late February or early March. What's the best way to line up accommodations? AirBnB? What's the deal with the listings saying a 30 day stay?
Oahu banned short term rentals except for specific licensed properties (chosen by lottery) a little while back. They are currently discussing extending the ban to anything under six months.

shiratofu602

OTF status
Feb 27, 2008
You might try Team Real Estate in Haleiwa. I think they have some legal rentals at Kawela Bay. Lucky Cole founded the company, I’ve rented from them several times.

Reactions: GromsDad

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If he doesn't like crowds he's really not going to like the hollow lefts on the NS, but everybody should experience it at least once.

Reactions: mundus

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
You might try Team Real Estate in Haleiwa. I think they have some legal rentals at Kawela Bay. Lucky Cole founded the company, I’ve rented from them several times.
Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for.

If he doesn't like crowds he's really not going to like the hollow lefts on the NS, but everybody should experience it at least once.
That's why I'm looking at late season. The crowds at certain PR spots bring annoyance to a different level though. Basically kooks who can't surf for sh!t hassling in chest high waves. It really soured him on PR. He's used to crowds otherwise though.

He's been chomping at the bit to get to Hawaii and one of the kids he's competed with has been doing well out there the past two winters and he really wants to be in the mix. Covid has made surf travel a hassle but hoping I can get him there this winter for a week or two to get a feel for it.

There is nothing in the world like watching 10ft Pipe from the sand.
Would be very happy to watch from the sand through my big lens.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
How long you planning? I have a connect on ocean front in Haleiwa. Can walk 5min to Ali’i Beach Park (QS site / Challenger series), can paddle straight out the patio to Avalanche (big, heavy left) or drive 10min to Pipe. House is old, but beautiful covered 2nd story deck and location is prime.

shiratofu602

OTF status
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for.

That's why I'm looking at late season. The crowds at certain PR spots bring annoyance to a different level though. Basically kooks who can't surf for sh!t hassling in chest high waves. It really soured him on PR. He's used to crowds otherwise though.

He's been chomping at the bit to get to Hawaii and one of the kids he's competed with has been doing well out there the past two winters and he really wants to be in the mix. Covid has made surf travel a hassle but hoping I can get him there this winter for a week or two to get a feel for it.

Would be very happy to watch from the sand through my big lens.
Team Real estate had a lot more places before the crackdown on illegal vacation rentals. The ones they seem to have now are mostly on a compound at Kawela Bay. They are full house rentals, so they might be a little pricey. I used to rent the old Ace Cool house at Jocko’s from them. I have some friends that live near backyards that used to rent their upstairs, I’m not sure if they’re still doing it. But I can ask if you might be interested. It’s not on the beach, but it’s walking distance from a lot of fun breaks. Not a lot of left’s though except Rocky’s. Racer seems to have a place that sounds nice, so that might be a good option as well. It will be the opposite of PR though, no kooks hassling for chest high waves. Mostly everyone out there at the top spots will be on top of their game, and you definitely have to earn your spot. But the lesser spots can be fun and you can get a lot of waves. Especially if you can time your session. The early mornings and late afternoons are really times that can get crowded( because that’s when the locals have the time to surf before and after work) but if you time it right you can still find some less crowded times.

Reactions: GromsDad

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I'd take racer's hookup if you can get it. The pros all know people they can stay with or have team houses, general public pays out the ass. You can easily score sessions with only like 5 - 10 guys out if you pick your waves and times correctly. Don't let the grom get fixated on only going out to pipe/rockies.

Have you taken him to Indo?