Teachers seem mature and well adjusted.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Would you want another parent to access a camera that watches your kid in school? Because that's what a camera in a classroom provides.

Unless a teacher was one of the few that stands behind a podium all day, a camera trained on the front of the room would not show much. People who demand bullshit like cameras in a classroom don't seem to understand what it's actually like to be in a classroom. When I was a teacher I spend the vast majority of the time walking around working with students.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Actual parenting would be keeping as close of an eye as possible on what goes on in the classroom. Bring in the cameras.
So you will be watching from 8AM to 3PM M-F?

Also, just in the classroom? What if the bad learning is happening outside the classroom? Cameras everywhere?

Another question: Why is it that the dumbest people who clearly struggled with school are the most concerned about liberal indoctrination in the classroom? Is it a fear that ignorance and stupidity might not be carried on additional generations, ruining the family crest?

Also would add that the truancy officers will also be watching. No more pulling kids out of school for good surf or snow.

1634234829879.png

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Would you want another parent to access a camera that watches your kid in school? Because that's what a camera in a classroom provides.

Unless a teacher was one of the few that stands behind a podium all day, a camera trained on the front of the room would not show much. People who demand bullshit like cameras in a classroom don't seem to understand what it's actually like to be in a classroom. When I was a teacher I spend the vast majority of the time walking around working with students.
GromsDad exhibition of depth of thought got rejected from a Jersey Shore episode for being too dumb and shallow to be remotely believable.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You mean travel to surf contests would no longer be listed as Field Trips by the attendance office? That would suck.
And you'd be held liable.

Many parent-teacher conferences to ensue.

Of course, there'll be a camera to see how our tax dollars are spent. And we'll know our tax dollars are squandered because of your wasting the district's time for frivolous behavior. Those cameras won't fund themselves so that will also come out of your financial punishment for non-compliance.

Naturally, we'll post the live-feed of you here squirming during said conferences.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
OK, here's the deal. There are over 35,000 high schools in America. 34,900 never do anything to make the news, and 100 do some stupid sh!t that goes viral, like that BS in Kentucky or over the top sex ed or random SJW nonsense or whatever. Social media and certain news outlets, esecially the ones that cater to people already primed towards bias against public education, love this sh!t and run it non-stop. It gets clicks and comfirms those biases, making people think the majority of schools are off the rails when really it's only a tiny percentage.

Reactions: Mr Doof and afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

You got to prowl.

They redid our classrooms and set up them up so you can't prowl.

I told them there was a BIG flaw in the design. I also told them you need a big table to teach writing.

They were like, "Fvck off, looser!" :roflmao:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
OK, here's the deal. There are over 35,000 high schools in America. 34,900 never do anything to make the news, and 100 do some stupid sh!t that goes viral, like that BS in Kentucky or over the top sex ed or random SJW nonsense or whatever. Social media and certain news outlets, esecially the ones that cater to people already primed towards bias against public education, love this sh!t and run it non-stop. It gets clicks and comfirms those biases, making people think the majority of schools are off the rails when really it's only a tiny percentage.
It's like there is a machine that allows you to confirm any bias now.

I love it!

What is going to replace public ed when the left and right destroy it?

• Wow
Reactions: afoaf

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
You're conveniently forgetting about the parent's child being in that classroom. Please make your best case as to why a parent shouldn't have access via technology to their child's classroom. Go!

TL/DR the thread. Don't know why I'm here but the answer is,

because your child is not the only child in the class. If you want to monitor every interaction that your child has while they are in school I suggest Homeschooling or 1-1 tutoring. If you are curious or have a concern, inquire about visiting the class.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Almost everybody is on-camera at work these days. Linking the parents into the feed seems as stupid as allowing civilians to access cop-cams, so yeah, no, but administration has every right to have cameras in the classroom. I would think if I were a teacher I would want that as well. As long as I was not behaving badly...

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Almost everybody is on-camera at work these days. Linking the parents into the feed seems as stupid as allowing civilians to access cop-cams, so yeah, no, but administration has every right to have cameras in the classroom. I would think if I were a teacher I would want that as well. As long as I was not behaving badly...
If your kids are in a school where you don't trust the teachers, put them in another school.

I don't think a panopticon is going to make any of us more moral because those who judge which footage is displayed to the court of public opinion - bureaucrats and the press - have neither morals nor accountability. Better to do business with and educate your kids with people you trust.

Reactions: GromsDad

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
If your kids are in a school where you don't trust the teachers, put them in another school.

I don't think a panopticon is going to make any of us more moral because those who judge which footage is displayed to the court of public opinion - bureaucrats and the press - have neither morals nor accountability. Better to do business with and educate your kids with people you trust.
agreed.
well timed Foucault reference.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think the problem in the public system - one of the big problems - is 50-75% of the time the parents are probably crazy and/or incompetent parents who think their little johnny is a perfect angel who never does anything wrong. Teachers know this and are therefore very tight-lipped around parents, so you have little way of getting to know them and trusting them. The system overall is untrustworthy though. Local private schools are much different with self-selecting parents of like mind. Different parents = different system. I drank with one of the principals last weekend. One of his kids plays with mine. They might come over and buy some rabbits.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I Local private schools are much different with self-selecting parents of like mind. Different parents = different system.
Cherrypicking the system. By eliminating challenging students and family situations, they can concentrate their efforts far more efficiently on students with the abilities and/or resources to find success in their system.

Public school systems have MANY problems.
Not enough training
Bloated, misguided administrative systems
Undertrained teachers

mostly the impossible task of trying to support EVERYONE

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
By now kids from stable families on the RHS of the bell curve have pulled their kids out, so now they no longer have to support everyone - only the Latinos and other immigrant children and special needs. School is now ESL and special needs, but only for vaccinated children. Only two constituencies.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
By now kids from stable families on the RHS of the bell curve have pulled their kids out, so now they no longer have to support everyone - only the Latinos and other immigrant children and special needs. School is now ESL and special needs, but only for vaccinated children. Only two constituencies.
You're losing me.
Bell curve , weird racist/xenophobe flex, but I understand the angle you're trying to draw.

A swift reminder of why I should stay TF out of the politics forum

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had great classes today.

The kids worked hard and were making a lot of connections. We listened to the Beatles while they worked. Super good social engagement vibe.

Good teaching is about good programing and having a teacher who cares about the kids and is able to make a good connection.

I don't see how cameras in the classroom would help with those high payoff activities.

But if Gross Dad wants it, I say we do it!