best place learn tuberiding?

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I’d give same advice as you see Jamie O’Brien giving: you wanna learn how to barrel ride? start packing close outs.

Beach, reef- whatever is close at hand. more reps over an extended period of time is way more beneficial than a week or whatever trip somewhere. Same advice for learning anything.

Learn to ride, pump, stall/adjust speed in the barrel as long as you can before bailing in close outs. Grew up on LI- far away from the crowds of Long Beach thankfully. If it was offshore - there were always barrels to be had if you knew where to look. When I first started traveling around I was surprised and disappointed that most areas are actually not like this.
Fortunate my local zone has pretty darn good barrel spots for both the summer and the winter Swells.

Bonus tip: wanna find da best slabby barrels? Follow the bodyboarders. Those guys are pretty much only tuned to barreling spot.

PS: I’m 50, very Lucky that my parents are water people so grew in da water, n been getting shacked for over 45 years

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Rifles on NW winds, NoKandui on SE winds - same island, nice accommodations.
Holy sh!t we agree on something :cool: :cheers:
excpet kandui scares me ! There is another left barrel in that area more suitable for my average joe backside skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSC

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Playa Jobos in Pr. The 2nd section is barrel-icious yet shifty and speedy.
Master that one and you're well on your way.

:beer:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I've seen Morocco mentioned here....I was thinking about dipping down there from Portugal next summer for a side trip to spice things up.

do people know of any chill spots with decent pool/swimmer scene and some chill rollers for me and my boy to dork around on with foamies?

also, if anyone has any good beta on Portugal and Galicia, I'm all ears...I'll grubhub you all the el pollo loco and spicy roja sauce you can eat for some pro-tips

Last edited:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
quite difficult to catch an offshore wind there.

Middles can get TOO poundy...great wave though...

:jamon: :jamon:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
quite difficult to catch an offshore wind there.

Middles can get TOO poundy...great wave though...

:jamon: :jamon:
I had a pretty bad interaction with the bottom years ago at Middles. Pretty much a near death experience. When its in that double over head size zone the place is no joke. Chip shot take off behind the peak into what looked like a perfect barrel ended with me landing quite firmly on the bottom in a sitting position. How I didn't break my back is beyond me. Everything went tingly for a few seconds and the wind was completely knocked out of me. Had I hit head first with that force it certainly would not have been survivable.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I had a pretty bad interaction with the bottom years ago at Middles. Pretty much a near death experience. When its in that double over head size zone the place is no joke. Chip shot take off behind the peak into what looked like a perfect barrel ended with me landing quite firmly on the bottom in a sitting position. How I didn't break my back is beyond me. Everything went tingly for a few seconds and the wind was completely knocked out of me. Had I hit head first with that force it certainly would not have been survivable.
my first time in PR - really - the guy in the room next to me croaked
after bouncing off the bottom there. :eek: :eek: :eek:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
my first time in PR - really - the guy in the room next to me croaked
after bouncing off the bottom there. :eek: :eek: :eek:
The morning I got hurt was a drop bigger than what's in this video but this video gives a good idea of what the place is like. The place can range from playful to scary. The bigger it gets the more shallow......not to mention if you go left like my goofyfoot grom does.