Tomo MPH

Oct 5, 2021
Wondering if I can appeal to the Tomo brains trust to help choose next board (just snapped one). I’m looking for a new daily driver with decent performance in good waves, I do have a fish for real grovel waves. Have an SKX which I love but I do find the low entry rocker catches on steep takeoffs and reentries sometimes, probably user error but I like a bit more nose entry. I also find the low rail isn’t great for me in choppy condition (funny because Tomo said that’s what it was designed for).

I was tossing up between a sci fi2.0 and hydroshort. Sci fi has a nice amount of nose flip looks like it would suit well, only downside I can see is the bat wing I know will probably get rail shatters due to LFT. I love the look of the hydroshort but worry it might overlap too much with the SKX, would like to get a helium board though. So question is if anyone has ridden both these boards, which takes a late drop better, and which has the lower wave height capability?

The SKX will stay in the quiver because it’s a magic board in the right conditions.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Wondering if I can appeal to the Tomo brains trust to help choose next board (just snapped one). I’m looking for a new daily driver with decent performance in good waves, I do have a fish for real grovel waves. Have an SKX which I love but I do find the low entry rocker catches on steep takeoffs and reentries sometimes, probably user error but I like a bit more nose entry. I also find the low rail isn’t great for me in choppy condition (funny because Tomo said that’s what it was designed for).

I was tossing up between a sci fi2.0 and hydroshort. Sci fi has a nice amount of nose flip looks like it would suit well, only downside I can see is the bat wing I know will probably get rail shatters due to LFT. I love the look of the hydroshort but worry it might overlap too much with the SKX, would like to get a helium board though. So question is if anyone has ridden both these boards, which takes a late drop better, and which has the lower wave height capability?

The SKX will stay in the quiver because it’s a magic board in the right conditions.
Hydroshort takes the late drop better IMO. Round nose prevents pearling on steep drops, and the tail rocker is slightly higher on the Hydroshort compared to the SKX so it should correct the problem you're experiencing with the SKX.

I dont think there will be a lot of overlap with the SKX and HS. Actually, I just recently rode a 5'8 SKX and a 5'6" HS roundtail, on the same morning, and I could definitely feel that the Hydroshort had more tail rocker (the SKX performed better for the weaker conditions). However, when the waves get bigger and hollow I would much rather have been on the HS,.

The Scifi 2.0 has a good amount of rocker too. But the helium construction on the HS is much stronger than LFT and the flex on the Helium vs. LFT is much better in my opinion, so i'd go with the HS. I personally think the Scifi and HS handle smaller waves about the same. I think the Scifi and HS are both boards intended for good waves, not flat faced waves.

Reactions: santacruzin

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Might also consider the Cymatic instead of SF2. In my experience, it’s almost impossible the pearl those blunt-nosed tomos on steep/late drops. Maybe I’m cynical but I suspect the designs are pretty similar except a few inches taken off the pointy nose. It’s a blast in punchy conditions from waist high up to HH/ just OH.

Oct 5, 2021
Cheers thanks for the input guys most appreciated. So sounds like the HS is the go then, will put the two side by side in a shop for final decision. Just back from a surf on the SKX, got a nice little barrel on one. It does go great once on rail in steep surf its just that steep take off with a pitching lip I sometimes struggle on compared to the firewire hashtag I recently snapped

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Cheers thanks for the input guys most appreciated. So sounds like the HS is the go then, will put the two side by side in a shop for final decision. Just back from a surf on the SKX, got a nice little barrel on one. It does go great once on rail in steep surf its just that steep take off with a pitching lip I sometimes struggle on compared to the firewire hashtag I recently snapped
The hashtag was an excellent board. What size hashtag did you have?

Oct 5, 2021
I had the biggest one (6'4") and it was a bit of a step up with that extra volume, went awesome in Indo. I'm 6'4" tall and 210lb at the moment (200lb normal weight) so a bigger guy. I ride the 6'2" SKX and 35L is spot on for me being a intermediate plus surfer in east coast Aus waves. Would be looking at 6'0" HS or SF2. I get these sizes probably sound huge to you guys but there is quite a bit of me to float!