Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So inactivity of the body part on the job is a better predictor of developing pain.
That and crap ergonomics. At least at a desk you can have your leg and foot placement fairly even. Not so with driving. Plus the way your hips are pulled in different directions while also being fixed into a seat when you go around corners, if that makes sense.

Vonmeister thinks mobility exercises are bunk but there are reasons why they work for people with pain and without enough mobility.
I do some 90/90 variations every morning and before lifting, and it absolutely helps. Not a silver bullet by any means, but certainly helpful.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That and crap ergonomics. At least at a desk you can have your leg and foot placement fairly even. Not so with driving. Plus the way your hips are pulled in different directions while also being fixed into a seat when you go around corners, if that makes sense.
I think ergo is a junk science. Researchers can’t decide what proper sitting posture is. The important thing is to be able to sit in different positions and get up and move.

I do some 90/90 variations every morning and before lifting, and it absolutely helps. Not a silver bullet by any means, but certainly helpful.
I've been doing more of these. Post them up. A lot of low back pain is actually your hips and glutes.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think ergo is a junk science. Researchers can’t decide what proper sitting posture is. The important thing is to be able to sit in different positions and get up and move.
I'm not invested enough in this topic to research it, however I don't think that prolonged periods of static asymmetry in a seated position and/or with bad posture are good for you. I think that a lot of pain can be traced back to poor posture and movement patterns.

Even if there's no consensus on what a proper seating posture is, I think we most would agree on what are improper posture and movement patterns.

I've been doing more of these. Post them up. A lot of low back pain is actually your hips and glutes.
Yes, agreed

Reactions: PRCD

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think if you slowly and steadily ramped up on the basic starting strength routine for 8 weeks a bunch of the nagging old guy stuff you’re talking about would work itself out. Surfing creates a lot of imbalances and weird stuff in your body that doing regular compound exercises can fix. Squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press. All you need.
Works for me I almost always do three sets and change my reps weekly and when I do not do 3 sets I do a 1 minute set. Always use dumbells never over 50lbs each.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
How many great surfers do you know who do big barbell lifts?
Kelly Slater, for one. And any trainer who tells you that your time is better spent lifting instead of practicing your sport is a moran who needs to get a brain.

Great surfers will be great surfers in spite of how they train, not because of it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Kelly Slater, for one. And any trainer who tells you that your time is better spent lifting instead of practicing your sport is a moran who needs to get a brain.

Great surfers will be great surfers in spite of how they train, not because of it.
I'm impressed by all the progress you and VM have made with Hal and the other retards over the past 18 months. They're really coming along. :rolleyes:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
How many great surfers do you know who do big barbell lifts?
I do .:waving:

VM posted a video of Italo doing deadlifts. I'd bet Mick Fanning does.some lifting. BIg? That's a relative term.

I think injuring my back was the best thing that could happen to me at this point in my life (or not). It was a wake up call and got me interested in strength training. I lived happily for 59 years without it but...comes a time...

Right now my siblings and I are dealing with our 86 year old mom who lived a sedentary life- a sudden decline into dementia with serious mobility issues. When you read about how to avoid these issues it's always exercise and diet. With regards mobility, strength exercises are prioritized.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm not invested enough in this topic to research it, however I don't think that prolonged periods of static asymmetry in a seated position and/or with bad posture are good for you. I think that a lot of pain can be traced back to poor posture and movement patterns.

Even if there's no consensus on what a proper seating posture is, I think we most would agree on what are improper posture and movement patterns.

Yes, agreed
Some of my co-workers have the stand up desks but at 6'1 I feel like an idiot towering over people sitting nearby. I've been in other offices where some workers sat on yoga balls and that definitely feels like its helpful.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
  • Love
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Where and when was this?

I've seen him in the water 10+ times over the past 5 or 6 years, he still looks like a very small man.
I don't know, you'd have to ask VM. Maybe he will chime in.

Maybe he's slimmed down because a lot of time has passed, but he was noticeably more muscular around the time that he had his 2nd wind (2005ish).

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
So inactivity of the body part on the job is a better predictor of developing pain. You'd think brick-layers would have more back pain because they use their backs so much, but they tend to have knee pain instead from being on their knees. This is very consistent with pain science.

Vonmeister thinks mobility exercises are bunk but there are reasons why they work for people with pain and without enough mobility.
I don't believe mobility is useless....I think most mobility exercises are useless. Right now I'm dealing with some tendonitis in my right shoulder because I'm still after years of experience a fucking moron and overdid it instead of following the advice I giver every single person I talk to about the importance of moderation and recovery. The only way my shoulder is going to get better is by mobility...The discomfort is when I bench press...the mobility I'm using to keep the joint mobile is the close grip bench press performed with a 3-1-3 tempo which increases the range of motion of the joint over the standard bench press, but does not push past a normal range of motion of the joint or fixate on the fantasy that a hyper mobile joint is a safer joint.

I think people who say they have limited joint mobility are wrong (absent some structural pathology that would be clear under imaging) and people who tell people they have limited mobility or imbalances are fucking assholes who should be killed. Everyone has pain, very few people have reduced mobility. No one needs their joints manipulated, twisted, pulled, pushed, or stretched beyond the range or motion or movement that they use in every day life.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Where and when was this?

I've seen him in the water 10+ times over the past 5 or 6 years, he still looks like a very small man.
Strength and size are too different things.

Several years ago when he was training with Kaiborg in the offseason. They were doing a bunch of silly WODS back then but at the same time barbell training.