Favorite step-up fishy shape

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
Not sure if there's another thread about this, but i'm interested in buying a more fishy-shaped step-up for overhead/hollow beachbreak type waves that'll get me in early with plenty of speed.. not looking for a super high performance shape, but something with a bit of length that I can still turn. I've heard stretch quadfish is great for this, any others? Located in Socal

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Don’t you like Insanity? Or is that not “fishy” enough?
Yeah hard to say if i would really consider it fishy. it has a very foam forward foil compared to a normal thruster but it's not super duper flat. it definitely is like an alt step up and it paddles into waves really well but it's fairly narrow and thin in the tail so it's more like a performance board feel off the back foot. for tubing waves it's a great call. for me the more big and hollow waves get the less fishy/alt board i want but that's probably as much of a reflection of where my comfort zone is than anything. the better i get at riding twins the more i am willing to push them into size but i still feel most comfy on a basic thruster with some rocker.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I'd add a DK Swordfish to the list. Dude can shape, and Jimmy Jazz pretty much used
to (no idea if he's still alive?) ride it exclusively. I believe it was partially designed to handle
the steep and hollow section at the top of Lobitos that JJR had trouble with on the Canard Quad
prior. I'd think the Stamps Indo would be solid too.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Just my two cents, I didn't really enjoy the Nautilus so much. Ended up selling mine. The Christenson Osprey looks pretty cool though, and I'm definitely considering a Moonstone at some point.

Reactions: Aruka

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Just my two cents, I didn't really enjoy the Nautilus so much. Ended up selling mine. The Christenson Osprey looks pretty cool though, and I'm definitely considering a Moonstone at some point.
Would be curious what you didn't like about it. Never tried one, but always thought the outline looked sexy.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Would be curious what you didn't like about it. Never tried one, but always thought the outline looked sexy.
What I'm about to say I've talked to at least two other people who said the same thing. So it's my subjective experience but seems to be fairly common too.

The Nautilus just never really found a place in my quiver. It's got too much rocker and performance jazz to be a groveler, it's more like a step up. But by the time the waves are step up size, I just never really wanted the Nautty because I would rather just ride a typical Ghost or this Mike Woo board I've got or whatever. And for me, my Nautty was 6'6 which in terms of liters was great big wave size, but it was too wide and ungainly to be a good step up.

It just never fit into my quiver. I never found myself grabbing it off the rack, so I sold it. The Moonstone and Osprey both look more suited for a step up because they're narrower

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
6.6 nautilus is my step up. I dont take it out until overhead. it likes solid waves but not super hollow. I’ve got a tri but I’m switching out for a quad.
Why are you switching it out for a quad?
I'm curious as to how it rides as a tri in overhead but not barreling surf :rolleyes: