Best strength training routine? Thoughts?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Lat pull downs seem like a good exercise for surfing (paddling). How can you best replicate that without a machine?

Or is paddling the best exercise for paddling?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Lat pull downs seem like a good exercise for surfing (paddling). How can you best replicate that without a machine?

just do pull ups, find that when I do them in conjunction with surfing often that paddle power is on another level.
there's a reason competitive swimmers strength train, it ain't just to look good

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Paddling is the best exercise for paddling. Using let pulldowns or pull-ups is good for general strength adaptations and will help increase the size of the motor but the skill of paddling is specific to paddling.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I haven't done a 1 rep Max in several years nor have I focused my training on a one rep lift but I would venture to guess today I could pull around 450. For fun I'm going to do a 6 week meet prep after the holidays and right around April 1 see if I can deadlift 500 squat 450 and bench minimum 275 with a target bodyweight of 190lbs. I have a reasonably good chance of hitting the numbers but a ok chance of hitting 190 pounds bodyweight given I'm sitting here today at around 195 with visible abs and a waist circumference of (tape around waist at belly button) 32 inches. I'm a little fluffy but I don't think there's 5 pounds to give especially when adding some additional muscle tissue. May change the body weight focus for late spring in time for summer.

Program shell today is (next 4 weeks):

Day 1
Squat 1x5 @ RPE 8 minus 5% 3x5
OHP 1x8 @ RPE 8 Minus 5% 3x5
RDL 3x10 RPE 8-9

Day 2
Bench 1X5 @RPE 8 minus 5% 4x5
Squat 2X10 @ RPE 8
Barbell rows 3x12

Day3
Deadlift 1X5@RPE8 minus 5% 3X5
3x10-12 close grip 3-1-3 tempo bench
3x10-12 OHP

I do accessory work throughout the week...pull ups, bicep curls, dips, tricep extensions etc etc. If I'm dealing with any little hot spots or niggles I will focus some attention on that.....for instance I was dealing with a little elbow pain recently and I added light dumbbell curl tempo work which usually works the kinks out of tendonitis fairly quickly. I walk 36 holes of golf, surf, and use the assault bike once per week for a high intensity workout. I have a well equipped home gym so I can make time to do the accessory work throughout the week here or there but the there training days are Thurs, Sat, Mon and take about 90 minutes if I keep a regular pace.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I thought subtracting 5% subtracted another increment of RPE. IOW, RPE 8 - 5% = RPE 7.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I thought subtracting 5% subtracted another increment of RPE. IOW, RPE 8 - 5% = RPE 7.
It doesn't always.. Depending on the day subtracting 5% could still result in a higher RPE than the previous set. Sometimes I'll push through and just grid the reps out but it's would be better to stop at the prescribed RPE and if it leaved you one or two reps add a mini set for them.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It doesn't always.. Depending on the day subtracting 5% could still result in a higher RPE than the previous set. Sometimes I'll push through and just grid the reps out but it's would be better to stop at the prescribed RPE and if it leaved you one or two reps add a mini set for them.
hmmm...thanks. So much of this is nudging progress forward. I've stalled out on the press. There were warning signs for weeks that I used too high of an RPE. I should've backed-off on weight on some of the work sets. There also seems to be a different spread in weight increase percentage vs. RPE increment in upper body vs. lower body exercises.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
hmmm...thanks. So much of this is nudging progress forward. I've stalled out on the press. There were warning signs for weeks that I used too high of an RPE. I should've backed-off on weight on some of the work sets. There also seems to be a different spread in weight increase percentage vs. RPE increment in upper body vs. lower body exercises.
Organize your training to meet you where you're at on a specific day. Carl Lewis didn't always run his fastest at a meet. You get stronger by getting adequate amounts of training stress to drive an adaptation. Grinding gives you plenty of mental stress but the physical benefits are very limited.

It took me some time to accept that some training days I needed to just take what my body gave me and not get down because I was off by 10-20 pounds of a previous training day. Allow yourself to have a bad or mediocre day from time to time.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Filled 2 20 yard dumpsters with broken tile, concrete and other assorted heavy construction debris in 3.5 hours will get back to the swimming and paddling next day off.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
What's your weightlifting program look like?

How much do you deadlift?
hahahah, really pissant and ghetto, as per usual.

nah, we had ALOT of good to great surf this late winter/spring and I got some over-use/fatigue injuries flared up, including lower back.

I'm a rehab program, all self-made.

I'm doing 50 pound goblet squats. 4 sets of 15 reps.
140 deadlifts 3 sets of 5 reps.

I do that Mon-Wed-Fri. Which means I've squatted/dead-lifted 15, 300 pounds at the end of a week.

Not sure what VM would say, probably laugh his ass off, but it's making my back feel great again.

50 pull-ups twice or three times a week, depending on surf.

dips, push-ups, depending on surf.

Reactions: One-Off

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
hahahah, really pissant and ghetto, as per usual.

nah, we had ALOT of good to great surf this late winter/spring and I got some over-use/fatigue injuries flared up, including lower back.

I'm a rehab program, all self-made.

I'm doing 50 pound goblet squats. 4 sets of 15 reps.
140 deadlifts 3 sets of 5 reps.

I do that Mon-Wed-Fri. Which means I've squatted/dead-lifted 15, 300 pounds at the end of a week.

Not sure what VM would say, probably laugh his ass off, but it's making my back feel great again.

50 pull-ups twice or three times a week, depending on surf.

dips, push-ups, depending on surf.
Not sure what is “pissant and ghetto, as per usual” about my question.

I was serious.

I can remember weightlifting was a PITA for all of us groms in high school because all the muscle fatigue was affecting our surfing negatively.

A lot of the guys in this thread don’t surf all that much so the gym rat life is a viable option.

I think adding weights into competing in beachbreak 2 or 3 hours a day 3 or 4 times a week …. In addition to cardio ( running) 12 miles a week…. I think my muscles would be fucked. Not to mention I already eat like sh!t to keep up with all the calories I burn.

So I thought it would be interesting to know what your gym routine is because you actually surf a lot.

im guessing it’s all point surf though so maybe not comparable? not sure if you walk back or paddle back there but you’re probably paddling less anyway cause being on the high end of the pecking order you’re not having to compete.

btw, be careful with the dips - have several friends who are competitive swimmers and both say they are a “no” - risky for rotator cuffs.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

I was serious.

I can remember weightlifting was a PITA for all of us groms in high school because all the muscle fatigue was affecting our surfing negatively.

A lot of the guys in this thread don’t surf all that much so the gym rat life is a viable option.

I think adding weights into competing in beachbreak 2 or 3 hours a day 3 or 4 times a week …. In addition to cardio ( running) 12 miles a week…. I think my muscles would be fucked. Not to mention I already eat like sh!t to keep up with all the calories I burn.

So I thought it would be interesting to know what your gym routine is because you actually surf a lot.

im guessing it’s all point surf though so maybe not comparable? not sure if you walk back or paddle back there but you’re probably paddling less anyway cause being on the high end of the pecking order you’re not having to compete.

btw, be careful with the dips - have several friends who are competitive swimmers and both say they are a “no” - risky for rotator cuffs.
You don't want to lift weights, we get it.

You don't need to lift to the point of being sore AF all the time. That's a 90s myth that is starting to die off but still persists. I've had plenty of stretches of my life where I surfed and lifted on consecutive days with no issues.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

I was serious.

Anyone who says x=danger should be ignored.... and then killed. I bet more people get injured from water every year than from dips.