PCR Test

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Anyone have any experience yet, presenting your negative PCR test to another countries authorities?

I might be heading to Central America and was just wondering how the process went for anyone.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yes. it can be even less scrutinized than one would think, depending on the country.

Central America, I am tempted to say anything that looks convincing, and says negative, will pass.

Usually the folks checking the paperwork know less than the group of travelers presenting documents. This was my experience in Western Europe.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Yes. it can be even less scrutinized than one would think, depending on the country.

Central America, I am tempted to say anything that looks convincing, and says negative, will pass.

Usually the folks checking the paperwork know less than the group of travelers presenting documents. This was my experience in Western Europe.
Thanks I was thinking something written in crayon with an Ben Franklin attached to it would work.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Thanks I was thinking something written in crayon with an Ben Franklin attached to it would work.
Well, a couple , coming to Kauai tried the Ben Franklin "can I get in with these" (25 Franklins) when they landed, in trying to persuade the Health inspector woman checking for Covid 72 hour certificates.
They were arrested, promptly taking to jail, booked, photographed, and sent along there merry way back to where they came from, on their dime, and without, their $2500.00.

Now trying to do that in a foreign country? mmmmm?
Do Not Pass Go & No Get Out of Jail Free Card ~ I'm thinking

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Anyone have any experience yet, presenting your negative PCR test to another countries authorities?

I might be heading to Central America and was just wondering how the process went for anyone.
Just got back from a trip. The process was actually pretty easy and much more so than I expected. Walgreens now has a test that gets your results within a couple of hours that is accepted for travel. Its called the ID NOW test. Two days before departure I went and got tested. Had my results in about two hours. Went to the website of my destination where I had to fill out a webpage and upload my negative test results. Process took about 10 minutes. After submitting I got an email with a QR Code.

On arrival, after leaving the baggage claim at the airport there were two options.........go left if you had done the process on-line and had your QR Code ready to be scanned.........go right if you had not done it ahead of time and didn't have a QR Code.

We got our QR Code scanned and were out of the airport in seconds.

From the looks of things people who did not have the QR Code were fvcked. Awaiting them were about half a dozen agents in hazmat suits and very very long lines where I presume they were to have to fill out the stuff I did on-line and be tested. From the looks of things I'd guess those poor folks weren't leaving the airport for hours and they probably had to quarantine to some extent pending their results.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just got back from a trip. The process was actually pretty easy and much more so than I expected. Walgreens now has a test that gets your results within a couple of hours that is accepted for travel. Its called the ID NOW test. Two days before departure I went and got tested. Had my results in about two hours. Went to the website of my destination where I had to fill out a webpage and upload my negative test results. Process took about 10 minutes. After submitting I got an email with a QR Code.

On arrival, after leaving the baggage claim at the airport there were two options.........go left if you had done the process on-line and had your QR Code ready to be scanned.........go right if you had not done it ahead of time and didn't have a QR Code.

We got our QR Code scanned and were out of the airport in seconds.

From the looks of things people who did not have the QR Code were fvcked. Awaiting them were about half a dozen agents in hazmat suits and very very long lines where I presume they were to have to fill out the stuff I did on-line and be tested. From the looks of things I'd guess those poor folks weren't leaving the airport for hours and they probably had to quarantine to some extent pending their results.
Good info thanks I will check it out.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I have to go on a work trip and need a negative PCR test within 48 or 72 hours of boarding.

Is Walgreens still the easiest thing? In California?

I can get my hands on a rapid test I can do myself, is that acceptable?

Thanks.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I have to go on a work trip and need a negative PCR test within 48 or 72 hours of boarding.

Is Walgreens still the easiest thing? In California?

I can get my hands on a rapid test I can do myself, is that acceptable?

Thanks.
Take a couple if you can to hedge your bets.
and an extra one 24 hrs before. Then if your flight is delayed you will still have a test.

walgreens or local hospitals seem to be fastest and normally free

Edit: I say this because the timing for getting results back is all over the place. Last trip I got results from walgreens in 48 hrs and hospital next day.Or you can pay $$ for the guaranteed ones

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Made a quick trip back to the States to get the covid vaccine ... i flew Avianca - which is the only option coming from the US. The flight was one stop in San Salvador and then a short flight to Managua. Here's some info ...

Screenshot 2021-10-13 141738.png
Link .. https://m.news.avianca.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=@T8/YsLz+Ncp/kaOmnw1D4j8MWpZ56iD2gI4b0wXE79M=

Before i flew to LA - i set up an appointment with the Covid clinic on the day i arrived .... Drive-Thru COVID-19 Testing Clinic Near Me | Covid Clinic . They email you the results within 24 hours ... which i had to forward to Avianca ... they submit it to Nicaragua ... to get approval to board the plane. When you check in to your flight you need to show the test results showing either "negative" or "not detected".

The hassle is the timing ... the test result has to be within 72 hours of your flight .... then you need to send the result to Avianca within 36 hours of your flight - including the form from the link above.

Last edited:
Reactions: enframed

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have used CVS with good luck in San Diego. I'm flying to Barcelona next week, with another flight a couple hours later to Lisbon. I need my test to be within 72 hours for both flights so I'm considering doing two tests like suggested above to make sure my bases are covered.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I have used CVS with good luck in San Diego. I'm flying to Barcelona next week, with another flight a couple hours later to Lisbon. I need my test to be within 72 hours for both flights so I'm considering doing two tests like suggested above to make sure my bases are covered.
Isn't the whole EU under the same rules though? Do you even need a test to get to Lisbon once in the EU??

I have to layover in Frankfurt. Maybe I should do the same....

LA Walgreens do not have rapid tests, nearest one is Las Vegas. Fuckinell.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Isn't the whole EU under the same rules though? Do you even need a test to get to Lisbon once in the EU??

I have to layover in Frankfurt. Maybe I should do the same....

LA Walgreens do not have rapid tests, nearest one is Las Vegas. Fuckinell.
TBH I’m not sure

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Sorry if this is not helpful/redundant, but this is the test kit I used when I went to El Salvador, they have a nice timeline for when to do you test in the middle of the webpage and when to send it to them etc. Was really easy and worked great, Delta airlines partners with them:

Reactions: MathDebater