Poast your strenf training program

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
rippetoe said that older lifters can tolerate intensity better than volume. He also uses vol once lp type programming stops working.
Freeride, do u convicts have starting strength gyms in oz yet?

Reactions: Ifallalot

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
rippetoe said that older lifters can tolerate intensity better than volume. He also uses vol once lp type programming stops working.
Freeride, do u convicts have starting strength gyms in oz yet?
I think there's a couple in OZ now.

I think what he's talking about is 3 sets of 5 for an older lifter is tough physically. Going through LP you're doing 45 hard reps of the squat per week for instance. One hard set of 5 is good enough provided the previous or warm up sets were enough training stimulus to provide a strength adaptation... or you incorporate some back off sets. Lets say your capable of a 375 one rep max. Just walking into the gym and squatting the bar 5 times, then 135x5, then 185 x5, 225 x4, 275x3 315 x2 and 335x5 isn't going to provide you the training stimulus you need. If you did a double at 325 and 3-5 back off sets x5 at 250-265 you would get plenty of training stimulus at a low fatigue cost while still getting the physical and mental stimulus of the heavy double.

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Kettlebells are for men and women "working out" at home. They don't look scary like getting under a bending barbell. You can do a lot of different exercises with at least some load. They are a great gimmick for mass marketing to the home fitness market.

@Havoc you're probably better-off training yourself rather than listening to these other people. You have to pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Reactions: parkiteric

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Kettlebells are for men and women "working out" at home. They don't look scary like getting under a bending barbell. You can do a lot of different exercises with at least some load. They are a great gimmick for mass marketing to the home fitness market.

@Havoc you're probably better-off training yourself rather than listening to these other people. You have to pay attention to what your body is telling you.
form creep if u train urself

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I re-did week 6 about 3 times because I missed a day due to work or something else. Finished with a HBBS 295 lbs x1 RPE 8, DL 370 x1 RPE 8, press 145 x1 RPE 8, not sure on the bench but the program isn't really designed to let you take a lot of risks on the bench, which is wise. Going to try it again. My hips are complaining a lot on the squat, also the "knees over toes" motion gets a little wonky towards the hole and I have a little "good morning" coming out. Going to try this:

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
My strength program is centered around the major compound lifts. I'll sprinkle in a lot of variation surrounding those workouts while still keeping the lifting consistent. Otherwise, I keep it straightforward as I lift only 2-3 times/week. Surfing and BJJ get equal priority. I aim to balance the three. When waves suck, I'll lift more. BJJ 2-3 times on weekdays.
I split the days of lifts by: upper body push,/upper body pull/lower body push/lower body pull
i'll "warm up" for one of the lower body days with either olympic lifts or heavy kettlebell swings
I tend to lift in the 5-7 rep range but will throw in some occasional days of either extreme. If i'm feeling wrecked, I'll do some hypertrophy. Otherwise, I'll keep it strength focused.
If I'm unable to train BJJ for whatever reason I'll mix in some Oly ring work and/or body movement stuff on my mats.
Outside of hitting the core lifts, I try to keep it intuitive. If I've been surfing/rolling more, I'll focus a bit more on lifting the next week and vice versa.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I re-did week 6 about 3 times because I missed a day due to work or something else. Finished with a HBBS 295 lbs x1 RPE 8, DL 370 x1 RPE 8, press 145 x1 RPE 8, not sure on the bench but the program isn't really designed to let you take a lot of risks on the bench, which is wise. Going to try it again. My hips are complaining a lot on the squat, also the "knees over toes" motion gets a little wonky towards the hole and I have a little "good morning" coming out. Going to try this:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I am now skeptical of any programs using more than 3 work sets by 5 across of squats.