Your favorite decade of surfing

Your favorite decade of surfing

• Total voters

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
1970's
The O'Neill supersuit was released and let me surf for much longer in mid-winter New England Waves.
We had shortboards and leashes, a big improvement over the 9'6" Greg Noll I started with.
Multi temperature surf wax became available. The paraffin wax we had to use before this provided almost no traction in the winter.
No one went to the beach from labor day to the fourth of July. Labor day was always a zoo at the beach. Tuesday morning was a ghost town. Empty waves for months.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
In my mind it's the 90s since that was my greatest stretch of progression due to age. Learning new maneuvers, paddling out at new spots to me for the first time, and challenging myself in bigger surf. Geeking out to the Momentum generation stuff, "punk" music, and pouring over contest results in the mags. Huddling around our college dorm to dissect the wave fax my buddies dad would mail us to the front desk. Driving up the coast with the weather radio on the dashboard giving latest buoy and wind updates.

The personal documentation I have of that era shows a different story. Long, thin, overly rockered boards that out ran the pocket and flailing laybacks that mostly resulted in missed sections. Not to mention everyone running around looking like they're dressed up as Guy Fieri for Halloween.

I like surfing today. Wetsuits are so comfortable and I can get away with thinner mms in colder conditions. Greater acceptance of surf design in the lineup than I can ever remember and easily accessible forecasts. I even joined the trendy guys and ordered up an Allan Gibbons channel twin pin for bigger surf. Stocked!

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
The 90s, especially early 90s (and late 80s)

Even tho HPSB design fashion was lame (thanks again, Slater) surfing wasn't hip or cool. Lotsa days with light crowds, surf travel was better, longboarding was so passé that you could buy a used Frye for $200, custom shapes from Mitzven and Rusty et al for $350. Secret Spots stayed secret, and in the event of butthurt or malfeasance, you could have a good old fashioned fistfight on the beach like gentlemen and no one got sued. Bonus: sketty strap summer dresses all over SDSU

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
1970's
The O'Neill supersuit was released and let me surf for much longer in mid-winter New England Waves.
We had shortboards and leashes, a big improvement over the 9'6" Greg Noll I started with.
Multi temperature surf wax became available. The paraffin wax we had to use before this provided almost no traction in the winter.
No one went to the beach from labor day to the fourth of July. Labor day was always a zoo at the beach. Tuesday morning was a ghost town. Empty waves for months.
:jamon:
Animal Skins! Bayley Suits! Coconut Wax Research and Coppertone. And free transportation to and from the beach (hitch hiking)!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Surfers, music, boards, styles, chicks, etc., etc.,
Surfers: 00s. Arc, First Chapter, Free as a Dog, Secret Machine

Music: 90s

Boards: 2021

Styles: DGAF

Chicks: DGAF

Spots: 90s.
Three of the Vero go-to's died in the late 90s/early 00s. First Peak turned to sh!t in early 00s. The last real Vero "spot" got worse after the Isabel swell in 2003 and now it's a shorebreak or blowout novelty.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
70's. bali was empty, oahu was controlled, oxnard localism was at its peak, spots were uncrowded mostly, and bonzers were beginning. 77/78 winter on the north shore was magical. at home it was still possible to get the best days with just a few friends. wetsuits made it nice. no aids, no fentanyl, just free love. the golden years for a teenage surfer.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Surfers: 00s. Arc, First Chapter, Free as a Dog, Secret Machine

Music: 90s

Boards: 2021

Styles: DGAF

Chicks: DGAF

Spots: 90s.
Three of the Vero go-to's died in the late 90s/early 00s. First Peak turned to sh!t in early 00s. The last real Vero "spot" got worse after the Isabel swell in 2003 and now it's a shorebreak or blowout novelty.
im with you 100% here