Album Surfboards

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
6'2" x 20 x 2 7/16. Been dealing with some injuries lately and wanted something sized up some compared to my other stubby fish boards for when I'm not 100% or for the days I don't want to be on something very short. Didn't want to go too long though like a longer mid. I think I can use this board for those days & also to mix it up on bigger swells. I have a 6'3" Townsend that does some of this, but have been interested in trying one of these to see how they compare.

I've had a lot of boards in XTR over the years. They always work great for me in 8.C glassing w/ wood stringer, so I haven't had a reason to switch when they all keep clicking.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
6'2" x 20 x 2 7/16. Been dealing with some injuries lately and wanted something sized up some compared to my other stubby fish boards for when I'm not 100% or for the days I don't want to be on something very short. Didn't want to go too long though like a longer mid. I think I can use this board for those days & also to mix it up on bigger swells. I have a 6'3" Townsend that does some of this, but have been interested in trying one of these to see how they compare.

I've had a lot of boards in XTR over the years. They always work great for me in 8.C glassing w/ wood stringer, so I haven't had a reason to switch when they all keep clicking.
Nice! I'm glad XTR is working for you. And those dims sound like something I would be happy to ride too, I'm sure you'll love it!

I've got a Twinsman on order from XTR and I told them to glass it 8.0, do you think that's too heavy? I plan on using it a travel board and I definitely want maximum durability so it doesn't snap when I'm in bumfck nowhere. But does 8c hold up pretty well?

Reactions: j_mac

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
8.c holds up very well and I've never had trouble traveling with mine, but I have had a PU damaged compliments of LAX while the XTR in the same bag was perfectly fine. I like the weight of 8.c which feels a little lighter than a pu to me, but its all preference. I think if the board is going to be in heavier surf more often than not, than 8.0 could make sense to help settle it more and give you a little extra durability.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
8.c holds up very well and I've never had trouble traveling with mine, but I have had a PU damaged compliments of LAX while the XTR in the same bag was perfectly fine. I like the weight of 8.c which feels a little lighter than a pu to me, but its all preference. I think if the board is going to be in heavier surf more often than not, than 8.0 could make sense to help settle it more and give you a little extra durability.
Cool, well thanks for the info. I guess for this travel board I'll keep the 8.0 but maybe next time if I'm getting a regular shorty I'll get it with 8.C. That sounds good.

Hope your board turns out awesome!

Cheers

Reactions: trifish

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
A good few days surfing the Album quiver...body is exhausted, and mind is refreshed!

The swallow tail Twinsman is simply a blast. I am resonating more and more with the board.

I surfed the Twinsfish in a range of conditions. It is a cheater board with performance. Surprisingly, I found that the EN fins that haven't worked in any of my boards, perform very will with the Twinsfish. No longer tinkering with fins in this board.

The RT Twinsman still figuring it out. I don't like the Akila fins in this board (at least for me), maybe for smaller, beach break day. In slopey, bigger waves, I found they do not support enough hold. I blew a few waves, and quickly swapped boards.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

Cool - this sounds like a fun board. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
any townsend reviews/updates?
Super fun board. It makes the reefs/more lined up surf feel like your snowboarding. Surprisingly nimble for its size. I’ll have one in my quiver forever here in North county. It’s just the board that works best when I can’t make it to the better, more high performance spots. Its very impressive how much it excels being put on rail. I’ve yet to reach the limits of how hard I can push it.
highly recommend

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Super fun board. It makes the reefs/more lined up surf feel like your snowboarding. Surprisingly nimble for its size. I’ll have one in my quiver forever here in North county. It’s just the board that works best when I can’t make it to the better, more high performance spots. Its very impressive how much it excels being put on rail. I’ve yet to reach the limits of how hard I can push it.
highly recommend
what size is u and the boar?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I had one 8.0 wood stringer that was way too stiff.
It was a 5'11 x 19.5" x 2.5" Patterson Pool Party.
Might not feel as stiff in a longer board.
It's very durable though as I see it for sale on craigslist every few months and it looks brand new. LOL.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My daily driver now. im 6-0 185, its 6-6 x 20.25, so smaller than most would ride. I agree, 8.0 is stiff on the longer board. Sold the XTR 6-6 and ordered the same in Varial a couple weeks ago.
nice. I’m still planning a 6’6-6’8 Townsend with a Plasmic channel.
Curious, what’s the rocker like on Townsend? How does the 6’6 length handle in steeper sections or beach breaks?
why replacing XTR for Varial? Seems like I’ve not heard much concern about breakage on varials, even on longer boars. What say you?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I had one 8.0 wood stringer that was way too stiff.
It was a 5'11 x 19.5" x 2.5" Patterson Pool Party.
Might not feel as stiff in a longer board.
It's very durable though as I see it for sale on craigslist every few months and it looks brand new. LOL.
Well sh!t, I'm gonna have a stiff, incredibly durable Twinsman then!

Maybe it'll work for me though. I have a fantastic tendency to get my boards overglassed. That culminated in a recent fuckup where I had my 7' Carrera glassed 6664, with S glass... Yikes! If nothing else, the damn thing aint gonna snap anytime this decade, or next.