**BONZER THREAD 2014**

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
man short stubbies kept me surfing now I’m in my 40s and think longer lengths are more challenging mostly because I’m not used to the length.
I like to mix it up and surf all but been dying to yolo a longer rail yet only couple inches shorter then height daily driver instead stubby's :shaka:

Reactions: rts265
Oct 2, 2021
Ordered a bonzer speed egg from MC and have a bit of time to finalize dims. I'm 5'6 140 lbs and 45yo.

A few months ago, I snagged a CB e-wing B5 speed egg (6'9x20 3/4 x 2 5/8) from the Board Source. It was a bit big for me, but I couldn't pass it up when I saw it on the rack (hadn't even priced it yet). I didn't ride it for about a month but took it out last month during that week long run of south swell, and I was instantly hooked on it. After riding it for that stretch, I immediately reached out to order a custom one. Because of my small size, I want to go a few inches shorter (and perhaps a wee bit narrower).

I like the 2 5/8 thickness with the pulled in rails and e-wing, but can't decide between 6'5 or 6'6 length and 20.5 or 20 3/4 width. Probably overthinking way too much it but really want to dial in this custom, since it will take many months before receiving it...any advice is welcome.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Ordered a bonzer speed egg from MC and have a bit of time to finalize dims. I'm 5'6 140 lbs and 45yo.

A few months ago, I snagged a CB e-wing B5 speed egg (6'9x20 3/4 x 2 5/8) from the Board Source. It was a bit big for me, but I couldn't pass it up when I saw it on the rack (hadn't even priced it yet). I didn't ride it for about a month but took it out last month during that week long run of south swell, and I was instantly hooked on it. After riding it for that stretch, I immediately reached out to order a custom one. Because of my small size, I want to go a few inches shorter (and perhaps a wee bit narrower).

I like the 2 5/8 thickness with the pulled in rails and e-wing, but can't decide between 6'5 or 6'6 length and 20.5 or 20 3/4 width. Probably overthinking way too much it but really want to dial in this custom, since it will take many months before receiving it...any advice is welcome.
I'm the same size as you and own a few bonzers. If i was going an egg (and i will at some point - i own a small performance one), i'd go 6'4, 20 1/2, 2 5/8. I own a russ short that is 6'2, 20 3/4, 2 5/8 - amazing board.

This dude is pretty tall and rides a 6'4:

Oct 2, 2021
I'm the same size as you and own a few bonzers. If i was going an egg (and i will at some point - i own a small performance one), i'd go 6'4, 20 1/2, 2 5/8. I own a russ short that is 6'2, 20 3/4, 2 5/8 - amazing board.

This dude is pretty tall and rides a 6'4:
Nice video. I need to go to NZ :ROFLMAO:

Thanks so much for the advice. Yeah was thinking possibly even as short as 6'4. I'll wait till MC contacts me to finalize everything and probably go that route. In the meantime, I did score a 5'9 AO 3-fin off the rack. Headed up to Ventura to pick it up next weekend and hopefully get it wet at C-street.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I love the look of those 3 fin AO's. Looking forward to the ride report. :cheers:

Oct 2, 2021
I love the look of those 3 fin AO's. Looking forward to the ride report. :cheers:
Picking it up this weekend and will be sure to report back. Hopefully, there's some type of bump to ride at Little Rincon where I'm staying. Saw a used mini merk for sale in great shape, but not sure about the dimensions for me...(6'1" x 20 5/8" x 2 3/4")

Reactions: Bman76

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Picking it up this weekend and will be sure to report back. Hopefully, there's some type of bump to ride at Little Rincon where I'm staying. Saw a used mini merk for sale in great shape, but not sure about the dimensions for me...(6'1" x 20 5/8" x 2 3/4")
I went on a bonzer rampage back in 2014 after buying an MLV (which is an excellent board). Bought as many different ones that I could. Loved the look of the mini merk, but think that would be too big for you. I think there are some bonzers that benefit from extra foam and others that feel boaty.

Oct 2, 2021
Surfed the 5'9 AO 3 fin at Ventura Fairgrounds Monday morning (chest high, building swell), Cherry Hill in Solana on Wednesday morning (chest to OH, backed off liners), and Mission Beach rollercoaster this morning at first light (waist to HH glassy lines and walls). It took a bit to figure it out that first morning (backhand, backed off waves, not used to board or the spot) but once it felt some size and open faces at two spots I surf regularly, this board shined. Maybe it was the beautiful conditions (long, glassy lines with no one out), but I love this board. I've never ridden a 3 fin bonzer (my other one is a 5-fin) or a LV bottom shape, so I can't compare it to anything else. Regardless, I'm hooked on it. Great paddler, locks in well on those quick beach break drop-ins, and was really responsive on bottom and top turns. So stoked on this board and can't believe I snagged it off the rack. I'm a believer.
59F8C307-8773-4DB3-A696-A8A23E508C9A.jpeg3FFFD225-83F6-4EA1-9382-7279B44F5541.jpeg

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
I can't believe they had an AO 3 on the rack! Thats a great find! What size fin are you using? I'm wondering if a smaller center fin would be fun.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
6'5 x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8

My custom designed Bonzer!

Told Jacob the exact dims and I wanted to use the speed egg rocker and template but give the outline more a pumpkin seed shape, with a slight/subtle bump in the tail to break the rail line on turns and give a touch of wall bite in the steeps.
Black runners and fin box, 3 pinlines- Blue Yellow Green - (Love the way they taper into the fins and then back out!)
Glassing scedule is 6+4 top 4+4 bottom E+S cloth blended.
Gloss and Polish.
Fuckin stocked! -

thumbnail_keith2.jpgthumbnail_keith3.jpgthumbnail_keith1.jpgthumbnail_keith4.jpg

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
6'5 x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8

Told Jacob the exact dims and I wanted to use the speed egg rocker and template but give the outline more a pumpkin seed shape, with a slight/subtle bump in the tail to break the rail line on turns and give a touch of wall bite in the steeps.
Black runners and fin box, 3 pinlines- Blue Yellow Green - (Love the way they taper into the fins and then back out!)
Gloss and Polish.
Fuckin stocked! -

View attachment 119050View attachment 119051View attachment 119052View attachment 119053
Love that. speed egg is on my need list.

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
6'5 x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8

Gloss and Polish.
Fuckin stocked! -

View attachment 119050View attachment 119051View attachment 119052View attachment 119053
What’s the wait like for getting a custom from Jacob right now?

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
What’s the wait like for getting a custom from Jacob right now?
My turnaround was 2.5 months. Order to glassed - Still waiting to be shipped from Hawaii

Can't speak to the current time on orders but can say Jacob was rad to work with, super open and responsive.

He is in full time Dad mode with an 8 month old and I would guess with Malcolm on hiatus taking a WELL deserved break since July....Jacobs dance card may have been a bit fuller.
Don't know about supply/glass shortages/labor being an issue, so double check.

I can't wait to surf this board.
Dream come true.