Steak

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Man they must be so stocked when their diet gets switched to corn mash. like holy sh!t we hit the jackpot!

if the poor bastards only knew…

I grilled some lamb tonight that had been soaking in Italian dressing for a couple of days. Fukking magnificent and so simple

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
BA1F930B-5295-4CF4-A710-8A5F9EE175B3.jpeg
Late night enchiladas verdes. My wife’s anytime specialty.

We don’t eat all that much meat unless there are a bunch of people. We used to buy ribeye roasts and have them cut 1 1/2”, sea salt and pepper. Lately arrachera (skirt steak I think). Comes pre marinated but we dress it up. Hard to beat for the price.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
My favorite dry rub for BBQ steak is Jack Stacks from Kansas City. Its the best out there.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 7.58.13 AM.png

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Skirt is one of the tastier “off cuts”. Hanger probably the best in that category :beer:
Every few months I get an "outside" or "inside" skirt steak from parker ranch at the farmers market, a hangar maybe once per year. It's otherwise pretty difficult to get (you can purchase and pickup at the winery) but easily the best beef I've ever had. Grass fed American Wagyu finished with spent grains from Third Window brewing and wine pomace from the winery. I don't buy the pricey ribeyes or NY or filets.

Reactions: grapedrink

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
never like dry rubs when I pan sear my steaks because I get the pan so hot it’s all burning off anyway :roflmao:

will have to try some of these dry rub recommendations for BBQ action though :cheers:

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
To each their own but...
I'm in the salt & pepper only camp
For those that use herbs, sauce, mushrooms.....why do you hate the taste of beef so much
Same for chicken but I'm willing to look into that chickenshit

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
ribeye

wash and dry

let it come to room temperature

kosher salt

bring cast iron pan up to 500+ on the range

throw a little butter in and then quickly place the steak in there

sear that side until you start to see lot of smoke and can smell the char

flip the steak over and put whole pan in a 500` oven for 3-7 minutes depending on thickness of steak and how well you like it done

make sure you take steak out of pan, put it on a plate, pour drippings from pan over it, add a pat of butter to the top and let the steak rest for 10 minutes away from heat before serving

serve with wasabi

you'll lose fluid/fat on a grill and have a harder time maintaining temp control; the cast iron on the range is a full sear, locking in the flavor and allows you to more precisely hit your doneness target

I have been doing a lot of reverse sears lately, too....great for pork and chicken.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
anyone try salting the steak and leaving uncovered in the fridge for up to 48 hours before cooking? dry brine, I think it's called. i like it. i usually only do like 6-12 hours. the salt penetrates surprisingly well even in that short time.

i've always been a fan of liquid brines for something like a whole chicken but I've started doing dry brines for stuff like chicken thighs because it's less work and mess and being dry helps the fat to render and get that nice crispy skin.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
anyone try salting the steak and leaving uncovered in the fridge for up to 48 hours before cooking? dry brine, I think it's called. i like it. i usually only do like 6-12 hours. the salt penetrates surprisingly well even in that short time.

i've always been a fan of liquid brines for something like a whole chicken but I've started doing dry brines for stuff like chicken thighs because it's less work and mess and being dry helps the fat to render and get that nice crispy skin.
went to JAR this week and they had a brined pork chop with a soy based marinade that was a fkn dream

if you find a tare recipe (for ramen), it's boomtown for marinading beef and pork

Reactions: Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
never like dry rubs when I pan sear my steaks because I get the pan so hot it’s all burning off anyway :roflmao:

will have to try some of these dry rub recommendations for BBQ action though :cheers:
You can use fine ground salt pepper garlic and onion powders, and drop a big pat of butter in that scorching pan, and the searing steak and butter will trap some of the seasoning (plus a bit off added fat courtesy of the Plugra butter adds a little love)

Reactions: santacruzin

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
To each their own but...
I'm in the salt & pepper only camp
For those that use herbs, sauce, mushrooms.....why do you hate the taste of beef so much
Same for chicken but I'm willing to look into that chickenshit
I knew you anti dry rub guys would show up eventually :roflmao: :jamon: Take it to the politics forum.

no but for real, I hear you about doing as little as possible and just tasting the pure meaty goodness of high quality beef. But for quick and dirty grilling recipes with mid grade supermarket beef, a little added zest just livens it up. And I’ll not talking some thick ass layer of rub like you might do with a big roast or a prime rib or rack of lamb, just a healthy dusting of the rub and an hour or two at room temp. Makes the meat inside that flame-seared outer layer takes that much sweeter