Ifallalot.....we're going to need your input on this.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Water retention is what gives that overall bloated look. High salt, high sugar, high carb, high salt, high salt, high salt diet will make you retain water.
I found cutting back on salt to be remarkably easy. Avoid canned foods, and use lots of herbs and spices which makes food taste better anyway. Once you are used to eating less salty foods, salty things like potato chips taste unpleasantly salty.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Another method is just smoke enough weed that the kitchen is just too fucking far away to deal with.

Jogging/running also works. As long as I put a good run (4-6 mi) in 2-3 days a week, along with weekend warrior surfing (duckdiving season is here), I can eat and drink whatever I want. Which is good because the Mexican food up here does not play. And neither does the beer.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, all many people need to do is unlearn the patterns of food being used as a reward, or withheld as a punishment, or having to eat it all before you brothers hogged it, or used as some substitute for love
It’s simple
But sometimes, not easy
It’s never easy.
And then I guess there’s people who just don’t care,
They care when the chairs are too small. Too bad.
But most of the fat people I know struggle with it,
Here’s something that fat people need to know, fit people struggle with it too. Not eating fast food when you’re on the road tired and hungry is a struggle. Getting up at 5:00am and going for a run is a struggle. Forgoing that huge dessert that everyone around you is enjoying is a struggle.

Now that I think about it, being fat and out of shape is the refusal to struggle. Being fat and out of shape is easy. You just have to sit around and eat things that taste great.
and it seems like many have unresolved issues
“Issues…”

aka excuses.
Also seen a fair amount of eating disorders related to these kinds of food issues
Two sides of the same Oreo
True eating disorders are relatively rare and aren’t about food at all. They are about control.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Another method is just smoke enough weed that the kitchen is just too fucking far away to deal with.

Jogging/running also works. As long as I put a good run (4-6 mi) in 2-3 days a week, along with weekend warrior surfing (duckdiving season is here), I can eat and drink whatever I want. Which is good because the Mexican food up here does not play. And neither does the beer.
5 mile run burns about 500 calories.

Eat a candy bar and that run might as well have never happened.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
5 mile run burns about 500 calories.

Eat a candy bar and that run might as well have never happened.
I agree. That's why I don't eat candy bars or drink soda. My kids are still almost unaware of their existence. And btw, what passes for average kid weight these days is kinda large.

But look at it this way, if you're conscious of what you eat throughout the day, it's pretty easy to stay under 2,500 calories a day, even with a couple beers. I'd probably allow at least a 10% margin of error but the fitbit style watches are quite functional for maintaining that discipline. And yeah, I'd agree with that 500 calorie burn if you're averaging about 8-9 minute miles for 5 miles. Maybe a touch more. But you do that along with the average stuff throughout the day, you're burning close to 3,500 a day. And surfing, I really have no idea how much you burn. If you're bobbing around, probably nothing, but duckdiving, paddling your ass off, getting drilled, etc., you gotta be burning at a pretty high rate; 10cal/min?

Reactions: grapedrink

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
easiest thing i found because i have a major problem with eating is just dont buy the stuff & keep a lean pantry because if its in the house - ill eat it

i go to the market every morning, its across the street so convenient enough to do so. i buy my lunch for the day and replenish whatever im running low on like the things I eat every day and make sure i have a protein for dinner.

for snacks - i only buy fruit and every once in a while popcorn or pistachios and i buy it for the day or ill eat 2,3,4,5, days worth at once.

I eat a strict diet during the week or rather a strict amount of calories targeted, and on the weekends or out with friends I eat whatever the hell and however much i want.

this with a little bit of exercise have kept me at 150 pounds for about 2 years now. I used to be 200.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
easiest thing i found because i have a major problem with eating is just dont buy the stuff & keep a lean pantry because if its in the house - ill eat it

i go to the market every morning, its across the street so convenient enough to do so. i buy my lunch for the day and replenish whatever im running low on like the things I eat every day and make sure i have a protein for dinner.

for snacks - i only buy fruit and every once in a while popcorn or pistachios and i buy it for the day or ill eat 2,3,4,5, days worth at once.

I eat a strict diet during the week or rather a strict amount of calories targeted, and on the weekends or out with friends I eat whatever the hell and however much i want.

this with a little bit of exercise have kept me at 150 pounds for about 2 years now. I used to be 200.
Try living with others
Including a wife who wants to make sure we don’t run out of anyone’s favorites
And when the kids favorites are your favorites, that makes it tough to not have your favorites
And then grandkids, can’t run out of ice cream in case the grandkids are here
And then birthday cakes and half birthday cakes
The house always has stuff
No one in my house is overweight. Well, maybe my son, but not terribly
It’s just a constant temptation
Which I don’t do well with when I get high, so I get high less frequently than I’d like
And working from home, when things get stressful, all the things I can binge on are right there for me

but, yeah, if I lived alone, i wouldn’t have all this tempting stuff around

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Try living with others
And when the kids favorites are your favorites, that makes it tough to not have your favorites
Which I don’t do well with when I get high, so I get high less frequently than I’d like
And working from home, when things get stressful, all the things I can binge on are right there for me

Do lift weights?

If you get lean and lift hard this isn't an issue.

But you got to lift hard.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Do lift weights?

Do lift weights?

Personally not finding that to be the case
I mean, sure if I’m not pigging out, but if I am, I can’t exercise all those calories away
Maybe I’m not lifting enough, but what im doing is working well enough I guess

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Personally not finding that to be the case
I mean, sure if I’m not pigging out, but if I am, I can’t exercise all those calories away
Maybe I’m not lifting enough, but what im doing is working well enough I guess
You have to diet and lift too loose it.

Matainience is way easier.

You can just lift.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
You have to diet and lift too loose it.

Matainience is way easier.

You can just lift.
Yeah, I kinda feel like you’re interpreting what I’m saying as I’m a fatass

I’m maintaining now. Don’t want to get bigger or smaller
What I’m saying is that I can’t outexercise the overeating I could do, given all the temptations in the house
So I let myself indulge every so often and make up for it other days
But it’d be easier to maintain without all the temptations every time I open the cabinets, refrigerator and freezer

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Try living with others

I feel your pain

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Dietary choices...

I have a sweet tooth.

I have found ways to satisfy it without piling on calories. Number one, like VM says, always have a tray of fruit visible. Next best trick- Chocolate Necco wafers. Suck on a couple and I'm good. 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium. 230 calories per serving but a serving is the whole pack. 2 wafers are about 1/20 of the pack.

Other sweets-Trader Joe's Cinnamon Graham crackers- they have a lot of protein (3 crackers are16% of daily requirement), O saturated, 0 trans, 0 cholesterol. Quaker Oats cinnamon apple oatmeal.

I definitely do not have a weight problem but because of family history and a heart condition my thresholds for cholesterol and triglycerides are way lower than the average person's. In the last 10 years they've crept close to border line. My doc says the formula they use for deciding when meds are necessary includes age and sooner or later I'll have to take statins. Anyone (60+ years old) have success staying out of the pharmacy?

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Dietary choices...

I have a sweet tooth.

I have found ways to satisfy it without piling on calories. Number one, like VM says, always have a tray of fruit visible. Next best trick- Chocolate Necco wafers. Suck on a couple and I'm good. 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium. 230 calories per serving but a serving is the whole pack. 2 wafers are about 1/20 of the pack.

Other sweets-Trader Joe's Cinnamon Graham crackers- they have a lot of protein (3 crackers are16% of daily requirement), O saturated, 0 trans, 0 cholesterol. Quaker Oats cinnamon apple oatmeal.

I definitely do not have a weight problem but because of family history and a heart condition my thresholds for cholesterol and triglycerides are way lower than the average person's. In the last 10 years they've crept close to border line. My doc says the formula they use for deciding when meds are necessary includes age and sooner or later I'll have to take statins. Anyone (60+ years old) have success staying out of the pharmacy?
I’m 66. Out of the pharmacy no, but I’ve been able to drop 80% of the meds I was taking a year ago. Clean living! (Steve McQueen told me that when I was 14)

You retired at a good time. Keep surfing. Best medicine if the rest of your body permits.

Reactions: One-Off

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Dietary choices...

I have a sweet tooth.

i do the flavored tic tacs to satisfy my sweet tooth. works

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
another thing my wife does really helps me control my temptations. Every night there’s a ton of fresh veggies prepared in really healthy and really great tasting ways. Most nights I have a very small amount of pasta or rice or quinoa, but fill up on veggies
Plus there’s always fresh carrots peeled and cut for all of us to snack
It’s a ton of time, but it’s worth it to her, and the family can all feel plenty full without overdoing calories
And then there’s also the tempting stuff
About to munch on some homemade healthier version of granola that mrs rg makes a different version of every week
Yum

Reactions: Mr Doof