Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Has anyone tried an FCD HUEVO RANCHERO? im looking for one in 7-7'6"+ range

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I guess that's a matter of perspective.
one of the 5 days a year it actually gets "good". even that nate florence vid looked pretty average, and that's his highlights. your standard east coast donkey probably going otf or straighthand 50% of the time. spent enough time up there to know the true reality of surfing in NY, it ain't pretty. enjoy those 2 second closeout tubes fully, they might not show up again until next year :monkey: without spending a decent amount of time in a place that actually gets good waves on a consistent basis you'll be forever ignorant

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
one of the 5 days a year it actually gets "good". even that nate florence vid looked pretty average, and that's his highlights. your standard east coast donkey probably going otf or straighthand 50% of the time. spent enough time up there to know the true reality of surfing in NY, it ain't pretty. enjoy those 2 second closeout tubes fully, they might not show up again until next year :monkey: without spending a decent amount of time in a place that actually gets good waves on a consistent basis you'll be forever ignorant
Mate, you are a barrel of laughs, aren't you? Where do you live - the surf ranch??

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Mate, you are a barrel of laughs, aren't you? Where do you live - the surf ranch??
The majority of the last two years in Indo and ZA, SoCal in the winter. Hawaii for a few years before that. Spent a bunch of time in NY as well and can tell you from firsthand experience the waves are generally dogshit.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I wish more people shared your opinion.

To bring it back on track I was not riding my mid length for the Larry swell. Tied my 6'7 MC Round Pin on Thursday morning but it was too long to fit in the waves and was happy to grab my Ghost for the rest of the swell. Love my mids but they definitely have limits.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
The majority of the last two years in Indo and ZA, SoCal in the winter. Hawaii for a few years before that. Spent a bunch of time in NY as well and can tell you from firsthand experience the waves are generally dogshit.
lol surely every surfer would rather surf in Indo than NY, not everyone gets to or wants to have surfing be the only deciding factor in where they live

wait what am I saying, you're totally right! There's no waves and absolutely no one should surf here!

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
That's awesome - plenty of solid spots on that list. When I was in my twenties, i worked for Qantas, so i paid nothing for flights and surfed all over the world. All over Australia, Indo, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, PNG, Hawaii, Tahiti, Japan, England, Scotland, Ireland, West Coast USA - including Alaska, East Coast USA (wanted to surf the Great Lakes, but nothing on). Baja, parts of South America. Never got to Africa.

The best waves but bad people - Indo, every time. And those same people (surfers) were a thousand times worse when you got a ten day flat spell out on a boat. Or you'd get one or two days and 8 boats descend on the three spots breaking. The last time I surfed there, I was once sitting in a perfect left-hand barrel and some dude screams out 'priority' and drops in. I ended up looking like a car accident victim.

The worst waves but best people, Japan. But there were a few days when it was a really fun 3ft and man, were they stoked and they shred small waves. the UK surf scene is also unreal - waves can be fickle, but they make it work. And when it's on, it's really good.

Sounds like you got a job that allows you to move around and surf areas that have consistent waves. Good for you. Not everyone has that opportunity. Some end up married with kids and surfing mid-lengths in New York. I just don't get why you feel the need to dump on people that don't surf the same waves you do? or ride 6'0 18 1/2, 2 14 thrusters? Who cares where people surf, or what they ride.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I just don't get why you feel the need to dump on people that don't surf the same waves you do?
was just reiterating what vanrysss typed, I too would probably quit if those were the waves on offer at my home break :waving:

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Picked up a JS Big Baron last week , only had a couple sessions on it so far but was fun for an old kook like me. Paddles and catches waves really well, fast and turns well with the CI Fishbeard fins in it

EE5B8856-3C09-4EE5-A2F4-75C7848E2884.jpeg

Last edited: