Twinzer Feedback?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
If your going to do single plugs with your twinzer, I think this is the best option.

I have lost two sets of twinzer canards while out in the water. Both from just ”surfing.” I don’t think anyone realizes how much pressure is put on that canard. If your light, probably no problems, but if your bigger or doing some big carves, using a full fusion box with two tabs on the canard, glass on, or the two screw set above is the only way to go.

Going through sets of twinzers is expensive and sucks. One of my boxes actually cracked, running from where the screw goes in, to the fin slot. Lots of pressure, plus trying to anchor with only one screw, the fin will rock in the box unless it is perfectly flush with the board which become a DIY project.

As others have mentioned, positioning is CRITICAL. If you think you can turn your Twin, into a Twinzer just by adding the front canards, mistaken.

The biggest thing holding the Twinzer back is that front canard box. I still think two tab is the only way to go.

This thread reminds me I have to take my board in and get the dang single round plug routed out and have a fusion box that I grinded away on a bench grinder installed somehow. It ain’t going to be pretty but big whoop.

Then I can start using GG two tab twinzer fins that I have. I do like those Rainbows but they are at the bottom of the ocean.
Wil told me that c5 tabs are better bc they're bigger to hold the load on the canards. Too bad the boxes crack. I've lost so many canards bc of those damn boxes. I would hear them pop, loading up on a bottom turn, and then my board would slide out. Not fun. And I weigh as much as a middle schooler (early, not 8th grader).

I've tried almost all my twinzers as straight twins, and it's crazy how much more drive/projection you get, especially coming off the bottom and in roundhouses.

Won't be long before twinfans become twinzerfans.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Minami paid Will 10.00 per board for his set up with Mains at 8 3/4"

Randy Sleigh made the most popular ones for the team at Blue Hawaii
He placed the mains 1/4" further back :) - a simple upgrade
Glenn caught him doing this and made him go back to the "Formula"
Tony the hot coater was doing 120 a week at their biggest popularity

I had made my "Version" of the Twin 2 years earlier at T&C
Max rode my demo there and later was the team captain at Blue Hawaii
Issac Kaneshiro was their new hot up and coming pro and Max wanted me to help up grade the twinzers they were making him
I rode his board and made suggestions I knew would not be used by Randy's experience - I had just started making my 5 fin and was more interested in that .
I wish Tony was my hot coater , great worker not bothered with extra steps

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
you ever run canards on a thruster like a rusty c5? I remember liking one I rode back a million years ago

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Nice foils. No overlap?
6-4 set at 6 3/4", mains@ 4° canards @6° (w/slightly increased toe) I have canards with the tang forward on the fin base to tighten the "cluster". This template worked best in my 6-2 channel bottom, so I thought a good place to start. :cheers:
GG's template is my go to, consistently works in most boards, no quirkiness. Really good template

Reactions: jkb and chilly1

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
View attachment 123078
trying to listen and learn. Rookie scrubber out ;)
Not referring to your board , responding to overlap distance comment , not the "Norm"

I never put my Twins at 8 3/4" up - Creative Freedom , actually did on some early 80's because I knew what I preferred would look too extreme to my employers ;-)

Foiled Tucked Edge has been against the norm for a Very long time when it was standard for Soo long , mostly due to the rail sitting lower in the water using concave bottoms - working all day everyday

I enjoy a different combination - Creative Freedom :)

I'm still having Fun making these things - I know your enjoying your ride

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
6-4 set at 6 3/4", mains@ 4° canards @6° (w/slightly increased toe) I have canards with the tang forward on the fin base to tighten the "cluster". This template worked best in my 6-2 channel bottom, so I thought a good place to start. :cheers:
GG's template is my go to, consistently works in most boards, no quirkiness. Really good template
I always liked GG fin templates. They are pretty close to AMs which I've used for decades(?) now. WHen I foil my own I'm usually going for something like that- healthy rake and fairly low area tips.

Your canards look like the Stu Kenson's?