The Official OBSF Support Group

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
The beach in North Carolina is a long ass way from any tech jobs. In fact anything people actually say they like about North Carolina is a long ass way from anything remotely resembling a job market. Unless you like Appalachia and meth, or monthly evacuations and trapping crabs, in which case, look no further.
the occasional threat of evacuation and trapping crabs are, in fact, two things i really like about NC. and the ability to work remotely just got a giant boost from Covid-19.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Learned to surf here mid 80's and there have always been crowded days but now if its descent it's always crowded, before tech and surfline you would catch 6-8 a-frames alone or with just a few very commonly.
The currents are gnar. One good day in the middle, pearled, was held under long time, then next, and almost simultaneously, finally reached my lips to the surface just to inhale the yellow bubble sludge that churns up on larger days, gaged/took another lip to the head bagan cramping up then finally came up for the all air I could gasp through the long hair I was rocking...standard OB fare. I have worse near drowning and shark stories from HMB beaches.

My friend/early OB surfer surfed there when the only wetsuits were vests (purchased from Jacks original shop there). He and a couple friends paddled out unknowingly on a rising swell fog came in, both his friends caught waves walked home. My friend ended up far out at sea pushing through sets (no leash)etc. Randomly and luckily (probably embarrassingly)his mom made him bring a blow up orange ball that he would stash in his vest "just in case" He had it activated and many hours later the coast guard was making their last binocular sweep, before heading back to the bay, and noticed the orange ball. He was rescued miles out to sea just before dark and was on the brink of hypothermia.

I would imagine any who has spent any amount of time surfing in the Bay Area has at least one story like this to share. Keep em coming, thanks!!

• Wow
Reactions: mundus and dunnder

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Here's a localism story. Locals will probably feel a good deal of schadenfreude at my expense after hearing this, especially Doc Flavanoid, if he still lurks here.

So I paddled out to 1 foot but clean and fun Kelly's Cove today. There were a few longboarders, a couple of shortboarders, and a crew of 6 or 7 high school kids of beginner ability on Wavestorms .

The Wavestorm kids were burning people and eating sh!t in front of them, periodically sitting on the inside in the way of anyone who caught a wave at the peak, and generally acting like shithead 14-16 year olds. I'm a high school teacher, so my instinct is to regulate that kind of behavior. I paddled up to one of them after he burned some guy two feet beside him and told him to cut it out. Nothing threatening or mean about it, just stern.

The kid goes back to his crew and tells them what happened and they all paddled up and start vibing me really hard, talking about being locals and they can do whatever they want. I argue my point for another minute and then paddle away because it's not worth the negative energy.

About 5 minutes later a well-known alpha local paddles out and sits 10 yards away. Meanwhile one of the kids paddles over to me and wants to shake my hand to bury that hatchet. He says they were just sticking up for his younger brother, and it's all good. The alpha local overhears and asks what happened. I explain, expecting him to laugh or perhaps even reinforce what I was telling the kids. Instead, he tells me that as a transplant I'm not in a position to teach anyone anything and that these kids are locals and can do whatever they want. Given my respect for him, I just nod and say okay. Five minutes later I get a wave and go in feeling no small amount of confusion and shame.

For context, I moved to SF 16 years ago but only started surfing again after many years away 5 years ago. I always assumed that if you were respectful, a strong surfer and weren't just a visitor, you could do some enforcing when it was reasonably called for. This is my first time being taught the lesson I was given today.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Here's a localism story. Locals will probably feel a good deal of schadenfreude at my expense after hearing this, especially Doc Flavanoid, if he still lurks here.

So I paddled out to 1 foot but clean and fun Kelly's Cove today. There were a few longboarders, a couple of shortboarders, and a crew of 6 or 7 high school kids of beginner ability on Wavestorms .

The Wavestorm kids were burning people and eating sh!t in front of them, periodically sitting on the inside in the way of anyone who caught a wave at the peak, and generally acting like shithead 14-16 year olds. I'm a high school teacher, so my instinct is to regulate that kind of behavior. I paddled up to one of them after he burned some guy two feet beside him and told him to cut it out. Nothing threatening or mean about it, just stern.

The kid goes back to his crew and tells them what happened and they all paddled up and start vibing me really hard, talking about being locals and they can do whatever they want. I argue my point for another minute and then paddle away because it's not worth the negative energy.

About 5 minutes later a well-known alpha local paddles out and sits 10 yards away. Meanwhile one of the kids paddles over to me and wants to shake my hand to bury that hatchet. He says they were just sticking up for his younger brother, and it's all good. The alpha local overhears and asks what happened. I explain, expecting him to laugh or perhaps even reinforce what I was telling the kids. Instead, he tells me that as a transplant I'm not in a position to teach anyone anything and that these kids are locals and can do whatever they want. Given my respect for him, I just nod and say okay. Five minutes later I get a wave and go in feeling no small amount of confusion and shame.

For context, I moved to SF 16 years ago but only started surfing again after many years away 5 years ago. I always assumed that if you were respectful, a strong surfer and weren't just a visitor, you could do some enforcing when it was reasonably called for. This is my first time being taught the lesson I was given today.
Shiit. Sounds like that guy needs to keep his kids on a leash. Respect starts at home.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

alpha locals choose to be alpha locals so they have an excuse to act like dicks 90% of the time. Rules, etiquette... are just the rationale.
hassling over today's waves :rolleyes:
it was 1ft, sunny, off-shore and the city is shut down. WTF

Reactions: mundus

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Downtown San Francisco.

I did my stint off and on at OB in the early 80's.

The really big, good days we went to Deadmans.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
WTH is going on!? Watched the cam today and the crowd was absolutely out of control, looked like Linda Mar. One of the most blatant diregards of social distancing I've seen out there.

Are people in the outer sunset cool with hundreds of donkeys from all over invading their community potentially spreading the virus on the "peak" week? I would lock that s**t down if it was happening outside of my door.

• Haha

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Coming to be that time of year again, who else is waiting for the first real swell to wash all the tech nerds and VAL's away
or at least set up some decent bars so the sf/marin tards can clog up ob, instead of piling in their rigs and mobbing it north and south

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Tried to get to an outer bar between Rivera and Noriega. Bad idea considering the swell mix, quickly rising tide, and lack of rips. Gave it a a good 45 minutes of paddling but ... REJECTED! TWICE! The stretch from Moraga north looked a lot more manageable, but I'm a stubborn bastard.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I thought It was going to be a bit bigger so I took out a mini-gun (7'0 38L), which I felt was a bit overkill @ VFW's.

I almost think I would've been better off taking a shortboard and trying to chip in under the lip on the inner bars, rather than wait out the back for ones that never really came. Although, it was nice getting the feel of a bigger board under foot again

Reactions: Mr Doof

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
It wasn't even that big. Just relentless rows of whitewater. You would duck dive come up, right your board in the swirling foam that was pulling your nose under, get a couple pulls, and hit another big whitewater. Repeat as long as you like, you ain't going nowhere except south with the inner bar current. I saw two guys out. Maybe they paddled over from Sloat.