We listed our place on Air BnB: Caution- virtue signaling ahead

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So on a recent thread, I made a comment about adopting AfghanI refugee kids, and it’s still been in my head the last few weeks. Not so much as like, contacting NGO’s and actually trying to find an Afghani orphan to adopt, but you know, clicking on articles, keeping an eye open for stuff related to the refugee crisis. Lo and behold, air BnB.Org has a full on full fledged operation to help you list your spare bedroom or apartment or whatever just like a normal air BnB, except it’s for refugees who have been successfully extracted and admitted to the US, and need a place to stay for an average of 1-2 weeks while they find permanent housing and get settled. So, I just listed one of our guest rooms. Curious to see what, if anything, happens. I mean, we’re a half hour from JFK, and they say New York, for many reasons, has one of the higher demands for short term refugee housing. no charge of course, and airbnb deals with the refugee agencies (I can’t imagine the Bureaucracy involved) to handle their logistical and financial needs. our role is to provide a safe, comfortable, and welcoming environment for a person(s) who has quite literally just been forced to flee their homeland. Probably forever.

ok that’s enough white knighting from me. Did i use that term correctly?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You should watch Rambo III as a primer.

you’re a good dude Subway.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ve got my car battery, jumper cables, and old metal bed frame all ready to go. Oh wait was that Rambo 2?

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I swear to Allah that if an honest to Allah afghani refugee, or any refugee for that matter, comes to stay with us, there will snacks. I mean, pics. There will be pics. I will of course have to superimpose a photo of Bonzer onto the refugees face, for security purposes.

Reactions: Boneroni

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If you are looking for a good movie about something that happened from the previous wars watch The Donut King on Hulu. It will give you an idea of the things they go through.

Also if you are looking to donate- Spirit of America is a good one to donate some money too that helps with resettlement.

Reactions: Subway

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The irony is thick.

Gubment gets involved in a foreign country.
Trains some "freedom fighters" (cause that's never gone wrong before, right? :crazy2: ) to fight the "evil commies". Said freedom fighters become terrorists. Said country is left in a total FUBAR.

And American citizens at home are the ones responsible for housing the refugees?

Wow, just wow!

On topic: good for you Subway, but there's plenty of homeless right in NYC without having to open up to Afghanis, no?

:shrug:

What a "greatest country in the world" indeed.

:bricks::toilet::loser:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The irony is thick.

Gubment gets involved in a foreign country.
Trains some "freedom fighters" (cause that's never gone wrong before, right? :crazy2: ) to fight the "evil commies". Said freedom fighters become terrorists. Said country is left in a total FUBAR.

And American citizens at home are the ones responsible for housing the refugees?

Wow, just wow!

On topic: good for you Subway, but there's plenty of homeless right in NYC without having to open up to Afghanis, no?

:shrug:

What a "greatest country in the world" indeed.

:bricks::toilet::loser:
But uh, nobody is forcing me to do it. And there are reasons most domestic homeless folks are homeless, and some or all of those reasons leave me disinterested in housing them under my roof. Tough world out there bub. Ain’t easy being a drunken drug addicted schizo.

and nope, no kids, so my wife and I would be fine hosting a translator from Afghanistan or a Coptic Christian from wherever the hell it is the Coptics are persecuted.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I swear to Allah that if an honest to Allah afghani refugee, or any refugee for that matter, comes to stay with us, there will snacks. I mean, pics. There will be pics. I will of course have to superimpose a photo of Bonzer onto the refugees face, for security purposes.
But will you teach them to surf?

Reactions: santacruzin

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
But will you teach them to surf?
Naturally, and I will of course make a documentary about it, with some deep and inspiring title like “waves of refuge” just like that, all lower case in some esoteric font, and launch a foundation and make gobs of money with millions of subscribers and followers and be really smug that I got Insta rich helping refugees

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Naturally, and I will of course make a documentary about it, with some deep and inspiring title like “waves of refuge” just like that, all lower case in some esoteric font, and launch a foundation and make gobs of money with millions of subscribers and followers and be really smug that I got Insta rich helping refugees
If you need an editor, I know a guy.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
you are awesome subway

One of my old college buddies has been housing a family. He lives in east Bay and not sure how he made it happen. He is also a crazy dead head so the refugees may be getting a hell of an experience. I can ask him for any info if you want?

I am in a fantasy football league with him and some very very successful people , I am mos def their loser surfer friend.
Instead of playing for money this year we donated it to them. One guy gave them an old but functional car. Another is trying to get the husband a job.

Then there’s me “ do they want some homegrown?” :roflmao::roflmao: