The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I put my finger through the seam on the side of the kneepad on my two season old Vissla short sleeve full the other week. The damage was about six inches long and made surfing too much of a struggle. The lower leg ballooned-up with water no matter what I did and surfing with 10 pounds of water sloshing around wasn't enhancing my shredz.

I've liked my Vissla 4.3 High Seas no-zip and wanted a short arm full no-zip. Rip Curl and Isurus seemed to be the only ones making them. I tried on a Rip Curl and was reminded that they never fit me well. The neck on the MT was ridiculously tight. I'm a 16 1/2" (6' 165), so nothing crazy in the neck department.

I lucked out and the only Isurus Shield 2.2 no-zip in Southern California was my size and on sale for 20% off at Surfside Sports. It fits really well, though it's slightly more difficult to get the flap over my head than my Vissla. The little cinch thingy seems to be not the best I've seen/used, but I don't need to tighten anything down and I am not getting any flushing.

I haven't had a key pocket on a suit and I really like Isurus'. My condo building uses thin/flat magnetic keys and I've lost at least three of them during the past 18 years sticking them under the suit on my lower leg above my leash. The key pocket fits the key perfectly.

The suit isn't any improvement in warmth compared to my old Vissla, but it does feel a step above in fit and finish. The #39 Yamamoto feels pretty nice getting in and out of the suit.

Reactions: Toobz and oeste858

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
socal duus is hyperfreak 4/3 warm enough for dawn patrol in jan/feb? air in 40s
Comp hyperfreak or hyperfreak with liner? My 3mm comp is plenty warm here in 805 and only feels cold when windy +12mph and long lulls between sets. Last winter got into 50-52 water temps so for gaviota area got 4/3 bong furnace.

Reactions: Havoc

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Yeah that thing is crap. It actually doesn’t work at all on my Isurus 3/2 :mad:
+1 unfortunate that such a nice suit is compromised by a small plastic part. Leads to continual tightening while in the water and more flushing than a suit like that should allow. I had mine swapped out when I had the suit repaired and the new one works waaaay better.

Reactions: Toobz and ChaseTMP

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Comp hyperfreak or hyperfreak with liner? My 3mm comp is plenty warm here in 805 and only feels cold when windy +12mph and long lulls between sets. Last winter got into 50-52 water temps so for gaviota area got 4/3 bong furnace.
ya not the comp one. psychotech is warm but seams are coming apart pretty fast.

maybe just get a psycho 1. best value compromise

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
ya not the comp one. psychotech is warm but seams are coming apart pretty fast.

maybe just get a psycho 1. best value compromise
I think the hyperfreak with liner would stop wind and you can not beat the flexibility of hyperfreak. My 'bong 4/3 furnace is warm and flexible as well but caters to warmth first and toasty suit would be perfect for your location.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Isn’t the hyper freak with a liner a psycho1?

didn’t realize there is hyper freak and hyperfreak comp? I thought they were all comps…

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Since there's a lot of discussion about premium suits on here, here's one for the cheap suits. After years of buying semi-premium wetsuits (those that retail for over $300 now), I ended up buying some super basic ones from the big brands (retail for $175-$200) and I have to say, the current models are actually great. All seem to be just GBS with some reinforcement tape in some key areas, so no taping, liquid or otherwise, but it doesn't seem to make much difference from a usability standpoint, and probably makes the longevity better. Almost all of them have extra liner insulation in the chest and/or back area and all of the cheap suits have pretty good neoprene now too.

Anyway, these suits are/were:
Rip curl dawn patrol 3/2 I bought for $111 on sale lasted three years and is the suit I wore the most (socal dawn patrol, mostly LA and south Ventura). Quiksilver synchro 4/3 I bought for $185 had for two years and still looks new since I don't wear it as much. More than warm enough through the winter. O'neill epic 3/2 I bought for full price just recently because nothing is on sale ($179) seems great but I've only started wearing it. Also I've had a dawn patrol, epic, and whatever the cheap xcel is for short sleeve full suits but you can buy any short sleeve full and it'll be fine for its temperature range.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Since there's a lot of discussion about premium suits on here, here's one for the cheap suits. After years of buying semi-premium wetsuits (those that retail for over $300 now), I ended up buying some super basic ones from the big brands (retail for $175-$200) and I have to say, the current models are actually great. All seem to be just GBS with some reinforcement tape in some key areas, so no taping, liquid or otherwise, but it doesn't seem to make much difference from a usability standpoint, and probably makes the longevity better. Almost all of them have extra liner insulation in the chest and/or back area and all of the cheap suits have pretty good neoprene now too.

Anyway, these suits are/were:
Rip curl dawn patrol 3/2 I bought for $111 on sale lasted three years and is the suit I wore the most (socal dawn patrol, mostly LA and south Ventura). Quiksilver synchro 4/3 I bought for $185 had for two years and still looks new since I don't wear it as much. More than warm enough through the winter. O'neill epic 3/2 I bought for full price just recently because nothing is on sale ($179) seems great but I've only started wearing it. Also I've had a dawn patrol, epic, and whatever the cheap xcel is for short sleeve full suits but you can buy any short sleeve full and it'll be fine for its temperature range.
rip curl dawn patrol is what i buy every year. 3/2 and 4/3.. i think its more than enough suit for Socal and they last as long as id expect them to for the price, they also fit me like a glove. Size MT Me = 6'0 150'ish pounds.

havent been able to find em this year in stock anywhere so I just ordered a need essentials. same price - fits just like the rip curl but havent put it in the water yet to check anythiong else. will say it feels bulkier/heavier from the get go but the liner inside is way thicker than the RC, and its got the liquid sealed exterior.

Reactions: HSY

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Come to think of it, yeah, my old hyper freak comp was zipperless. I think comp just means zipperless.

my psycho1 looks like the above pic, but the outside of it is lined and taped

Reactions: Havoc