Rounded pin tail twins

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The Docs are pretty flat. Fine is soft waves but the become kinda stiff and unweildy when it gets steeper. Good for Huntington or North County not so much for steeper waves.

Rode my friends a bunch but the flat nose rocker convinced me not to get one. Got a Maurice Cole Round Pin. Much more foiled and the reverse vee up front and extra bit of tail rocker makes it work in bigger, steeper beach breaks.

My friend who surfs Swamis, Cardiff etc loves his Doc.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
ok so what's the scoop on these roundtail channel bottomed twins? do they hold during longer carves and roundies? can u smack the lip? looking for a bit more performance over my twin keel mini simmons when itz a bit bigger. do they big wave grovel?
yes, yes (ish) and yes.

i think they are just about the perfect step up from a fish. big mushburgers or nice open faced waves is where they shine. don't expect to get shacked w/ ease in big tubes unless you are already at the level where you are doing so on thrusters n whatnot. i think thrusters are easier to ride in heavy surf but the long twins are capable and it's fun to push them in the juicy stuff. depending on how you size them they can definitely carve and do nice cutties and whatnot. i now have a 6-4 round, 6-6 round, 6-8 asym and 7-2 round w/ channels. i think the shorter ones are more versatile but they are all fun. the big one feels like it would handle 3xoh morocco points or some sh1t. the bigger the waves, the better it feels. the other ones are fun from waist high up. a lot of the big twins I see have really wide nose which will make them paddle like crazy but hinder your lip bashing efforts unless you go really short. the low rocker, lack of center fin and overall foam flow of most of these long twins make them efficient paddlers and great at catching waves. i think if you want good performance out of them try to avoid going too wide and thick.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
yes, yes (ish) and yes.

i think they are just about the perfect step up from a fish. big mushburgers or nice open faced waves is where they shine. don't expect to get shacked w/ ease in big tubes unless you are already at the level where you are doing so on thrusters n whatnot. i think thrusters are easier to ride in heavy surf but the long twins are capable and it's fun to push them in the juicy stuff. depending on how you size them they can definitely carve and do nice cutties and whatnot. i now have a 6-4 round, 6-6 round, 6-8 asym and 7-2 round w/ channels. i think the shorter ones are more versatile but they are all fun. the big one feels like it would handle 3xoh morocco points or some sh1t. the bigger the waves, the better it feels. the other ones are fun from waist high up. a lot of the big twins I see have really wide nose which will make them paddle like crazy but hinder your lip bashing efforts unless you go really short. the low rocker, lack of center fin and overall foam flow of most of these long twins make them efficient paddlers and great at catching waves. i think if you want good performance out of them try to avoid going too wide and thick.
+1
5'8" 170#
It2win 6'9" x20" x2.5" stinger pintail foiled and pretty aggressive rocker with single v nose to double v out back. The longer rail and even stinger mid wing adds hold to longer twin and pin holds in steep wave faces. I really enjoy at reef break when soft on take off get in early and then wave picks up on inside and starts moving:shaka:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Got the MR twins with the little trailer on my round tail rarest bird for its first surf tomorrow morning, let's see how this goes.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Whenever I see a clip of anyone other than Torryn Martin on a long twin pin, it makes me want to avoid them.

The clips of the Crozier kid on the Blackbirdy thing shows exactly why you would avoid using it as a high performance board.

It just seems like people like trimming and getting speed without pumping more than they like being able to turn effectively. Which is fine. But it's also not a hallmark of a twin fin with a pintail. It's a matter of volume and rocker

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Whenever I see a clip of anyone other than Torryn Martin on a long twin pin, it makes me want to avoid them.

The clips of the Crozier kid on the Blackbirdy thing shows exactly why you would avoid using it as a high performance board.

It just seems like people like trimming and getting speed without pumping more than they like being able to turn effectively. Which is fine. But it's also not a hallmark of a twin fin with a pintail. It's a matter of volume and rocker
Agree and this is why I like the ole twin fin placement around 11" and do not seek twins with fins back on tail. I see a twin as a board you go fast by going top to bottom carve to bottom turn bleed speed on carve always in pocket.

Reactions: j_mac

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Yes, trimming and getting speed without pumping. Tons of drive and power with less input. My 7'4 doesn't turn so hawt if I try to turn it like a performance board. Gotta narrow the stance and take more of a longboard approach. Leverage is your friend. Besides surfing midlengths like shorties just looks goofy.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yes, trimming and getting speed without pumping. Tons of drive and power with less input. My 7'4 doesn't turn so hawt if I try to turn it like a performance board. Gotta narrow the stance and take more of a longboard approach. Leverage is your friend. Besides surfing midlengths like shorties just looks goofy.
Leverage is your friend and regardless of what peeps think I put traction pads on both my twins and like the extra leverage:shaka:

Reactions: j_mac and Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
ordered a doc tur-twin pin and i already want a shorter one.

after watching EAST, that mote looks so good. but a 1 yr wait and $1200 upfront ouch...

pretty much only want to ride twin fins now. never thought that would be the case. guess i'm a washed up hipster after all
Wut size you have on ofder?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
7’0 but want a shorter one also. maybe 6’4

gg approved round tail. Lol.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise