1400 Dolphins Slaughtered in Faroe Islands

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Still whiteknighting for your twink , you pathetic old queen?( for closeted keyboard tough guy Von Menstrual)

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Factory farming is inhumane.

I'm okay with hunting if you manage the resource.

I'm not sure if this dolphin kill is good management.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think it's ironic to type your complaints about some culture's not having enough respect for life regarding the over killing of a species you find cute by a few hundred into a device the production of which results in innumerable unimaginable horrors for human lives, from a country which allows companies to sell terrible death causing cigarettes by the hundreds of millions to children across the world.
But then again, this is during a global pandemic, so.
More hypocritical than ironic.

Reactions: afoaf

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Factory farming is inhumane.

I'm okay with hunting if you manage the resource.

I'm not sure if this dolphin kill is good management.
This is the (realistic) argument here.

the gross harvest size being much larger than previous harvests.

what locals are saying about likely waste.

what sounds like is ultimately an overwhelming amount of the resource to be processed and even used.

ignoring the regulations that are put in place to protect and manage the resource.

these are all major red flags. I don’t know enough about the status of pilot whales to know if it’s sustainable to continue harvest but I know that’s an issue with other species.

I personally would try it, but I’m not necessarily supportive of such a fishery.

Bartiparo

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 4, 2012
Kill method

They insert a whale hook sideways into one of the air sacs of the whale’s blowhole, getting a good grip on the whale and then they cut the spinal cord.

The whale does not lose consciousness and die from the cutting of the spinal cord but by the successive cutting of the spinal arteries. The unconsciousness is confirmed by checking if the whale blinks or the eye moves when touched. If there is no reaction the whale is unconscious or dead.

If the whale blinks or moves the eye it is regarded as conscious and needs to be re-stabbed. Thereafter a cut is made with a whaling knife to the main ventral vessels on either side of the neck to extract as much blood as possible from the whale.

Until 1986 whales were slaughtered with harpoon and spears and it took a lot longer to kill, this method has since been banned.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
It is pretty brutal - they should just electrify that cove and fry 'em up quickly. could be more humane - also could ruin the meat

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
wouldn't it be much easier to just pull them out of the water and leave them out for a while, like normal fishing? seems there's a bunch of unnecessary extra mess and cleanup. maybe it's the joy of inflicting harm upon another living being that they get off on? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I like wild goose but only if they’ve been eating out of primarily corn or other cereal grain fields. Corn fed wild Canada can be a revelation on the dinner plate.