Gavin will own your home now

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Can anyone tell me where the water is going to come from for all these housing density increases?

Asking for a friend.

ty
Your friend is one of those simpletons who likes to think he's an edgy free thinker but really just parrots tired talking points. Tell him to get fkd with all the rest of the boomer LARPers, and if he's interested in still being relevant in 10 years to pay attention to what's happening in water tech industries.

He can continue chicken littling and crying about the way things used to be or he can move forward and explore the opportunities associated with identifying where the world is headed.

Reactions: rice and grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
On the 101 corridor its the lack of jobs and urban centers that led to less development.
Mostly agreed. Not much work around Buelton or King City. However the Gaviota stretch just north of SB would get whored out real quick if the zoning and ag ownership were to change. Dumps in sketchy Salinas neighborhoods are going for prices that rival SLO. SLO is also building like crazy after decades of development gridlock, and the Rona has accelerated the transition into a Zoom community.

But you're right that nearly all CA politicians (and citizens too - hello Prop 13) are complicit in the market constraints that led to where we are today. And now that we're working on solutions, NIMBYs are soiling themselves all the way from Arizona. WTF?
Agreed. Also if supply is constrained because the cost to simply break ground is super high because of all the red tape, developers are only going to do so if the market prices signal the potential for a profit.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Your friend is one of those simpletons who likes to think he's an edgy free thinker but really just parrots tired talking points. Tell him to get fkd with all the rest of the boomer LARPers, and if he's interested in still being relevant in 10 years to pay attention to what's happening in water tech industries.

He can continue chicken littling and crying about the way things used to be or he can move forward and explore the opportunities associated with identifying where the world is headed.
You sound angry.

I'm here to learn.

So tell me what's happening in the water tech industries.

It's way outside my field of expertise.

Reactions: Ifallalot

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Mostly agreed. Not much work around Buelton or King City. However the Gaviota stretch just north of SB would get whored out real quick if the zoning and ag ownership were to change. Dumps in sketchy Salinas neighborhoods are going for prices that rival SLO. SLO is also building like crazy after decades of development gridlock, and the Rona has accelerated the transition into a Zoom community.

Agreed. Also if supply is constrained because the cost to simply break ground is super high because of all the red tape, developers are only going to do so if the market prices signal the potential for a profit.
100 to all this. It's absurd what it costs to build in the US. Grifter culture dominates.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You sound angry.

I'm here to learn.

Desal is completely viable, but still more expensive than buying it from elsewhere. If we had nuclear power, it would fuel it for very cheap and we’d have plenty of water for everyone.

Political realities will never allow that though.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
You sound angry.

I'm here to learn.

Not angry at all. I want your friend to thrive. We all can if we stop using 20th century thinking to approach 21st century problems.

It's a world of opportunity. Make the most of it.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Desal is completely viable, but still more expensive than buying it from elsewhere. If we had nuclear power, it would fuel it for very cheap and we’d have plenty of water for everyone.

Political realities will never allow that though.
Never? I doubt never.

And as with all tech, what is expensive now won't be not too long from now.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not angry at all. I want your friend to thrive. We all can if we stop using 20th century thinking to approach 21st century problems.

It's a world of opportunity. Make the most of it.
That's great, but your reply gives me the feeling you don't really have any specific answers about water tech.

I heard there are towns running out of water in some parts of the state. Is that true?

Density and zoning changes before infrastructure usually does not turn out well; I have witnessed this firsthand.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
That's great, but your reply gives me the feeling you don't really have any specific answers about water tech.

I heard there are towns running out of water in some parts of the state. Is that true?

Density and zoning changes before infrastructure usually does not turn out well; I have witnessed this firsthand.
It's true that I am not an expert on water tech. My forward-looking investments lie elsewhere. But there is a wealth of information at your fingertips. If you want to learn more you can! grapedrink offered a good starting point.

I think this is an interesting article about towns running out of water and why: https://calmatters.org/environment/2021/06/california-water-shortage/

I think it's safe to say that LA will develop much more density than Mendocino County ya know?

Enabling more density everywhere doesn't mean more density everywhere.

Examine your scarcity mindset.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
With the price of housing going through the roof, people/family's all outbidding each other for a single family home will now have to outbid investment groups for that same house. Guess who's going to win that
The idea of a family with 3 kids a dog with a yard to play in isn't looking to promising

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
People like big federal projects

How about a National Aqueduct from the East, which has too much water, to the West that didn’t have enough

Even ancient peoples figured this out

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
With the price of housing going through the roof, people/family's all outbidding each other for a single family home will now have to outbid investment groups for that same house. Guess who's going to win that
Translation: "I am unaware that this is already happening in a big way."

Plenty of home owners are going to have the chance now to develop a second home on their property. That's a win for mom-and-pop property owner. Democratization of development.

The idea of a family with 3 kids a dog with a yard to play in isn't looking to promising
If you want that lifestyle don't choose to live in an urban area. Simple.

World keeps turning. You either adapt and thrive or become a dinosaur stuck in the mud.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
That state will be your family

If you want to eat meat instead of bugs you can slaughter that dog

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I know nothing, but if you're
People like big federal projects

How about a National Aqueduct from the East, which has too much water, to the West that didn’t have enough

Even ancient peoples figured this out
I've always thought about this (and sail powered cargo ships). But what are you going to do about the Rockies?

Also-Save Gaviota

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Scarcity mindsets... bernie bros and trumpkins, woe-is-me victims as far as the eye can see. Sad.

It doesn't have to be this way!