Late takeoffs

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Really? Exhale before a late take off? Have you ever eaten sh!t on a large wave right after exhaling? It's like a hold down on steroids. :drowning:

Also the part about fading into a less steep part of the wave? He was above the ledge, never got near the part the guy said was "not as steep" and then air drops into the barrel (not as steep:roflmao:).

For me, surfing is split second and intuitive and whenever I watch this kind of analysis I think "Who can think about any of that stuff on a late take off?"

I'm calling this a crock of huey. Insane take off though.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
It becomes intuitive w enough repetition. For some it comes quick, others not so much; and depends how often you get to surf steep barrel/critical takeoffs etc.

Brett Barley breaks it down pretty good; didn’t make it past 15 sec of that first vid, those 2 guys are a bit much for me.

im not a pro, but for many moons, regularly surf powerful barreling surf. here’s what I know.

edit: 1a) All in/commitment to making the drop n wave is crucial.
1) proper positioning is really key
2) take off with inside rail engaged/on a angle +
3) really need to be really leaning forward-
I sometimes scoot up further on board to help ensure this; and I like controlling late/really heavy drops w the nose rock/forward stance anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Really? Exhale before a late take off? Have you ever eaten sh!t on a large wave right after exhaling? It's like a hold down on steroids. :drowning:
Yes. Almost died. Contrary to what was said in the video it’s easy to “relax” while inhaling.

Also the part about fading into a less steep part of the wave? He was above the ledge, never got near the part the guy said was "not as steep" and then air drops into the barrel (not as steep:roflmao:).
Glad I’m not the only one who found this video to be basically useless.

For me, surfing is split second and intuitive and whenever I watch this kind of analysis I think "Who can think about any of that stuff on a late take off?"

My thoughts exactly. I really don’t think Craig was making conscious decisions while that takeoff was happening. Analyzing it in slow-mo can tell a person how he made that one specific takeoff but there was nothing there that is useful to anyone.

Here’s my tried and true late takeoff how-to lesson…

Fuckking go! You are going to make it. There’s no other possibility.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Thats why they are pros and we are not.

Reactions: VaB

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
If you don't go you well never know is what I tell my self:shaka:
The worst beating I took on my last trip was because my friend was looking right at me with a sh!t eating grin saying "you wont go pussy"
I went and got worked badly.

He told me later he said that because he was next up and wanted no part of that wave :roflmao:
I did get a nug later that session because I was able to relax after my beating!

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
sometimes it’s better to take a quick beating and realize it’s not all that bad. Other times that beating, if ill timed, sends you in.

I always thought commit was synonymous with leaning forward to set the rail. Leaning back thinking you’ll perl is about the worst thing you can do pre- and mid- takeoff, IMO.

but, if you’re thinking at that point you’re probably gonna get smoked.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
sometimes it’s better to take a quick beating and realize it’s not all that bad. Other times that beating, if ill timed, sends you in.

I always thought commit was synonymous with leaning forward to set the rail. Leaning back thinking you’ll perl is about the worst thing you can do pre- and mid- takeoff, IMO.

but, if you’re thinking at that point you’re probably gonna get smoked.
I would rather go and get beating then puss and have that in my head for next set. Plus you go sends message to line up this guy is frikun' crazy f*ck who goes on any thing:socrazy: