Wetsuit Acne

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
YUCK! Just surfed Hurricane Larry, five days in a row: 3/2 with booties. My left ankle/shin OMG nasty boil looking things on my leg, painful. Going to the Dermatologist tomorrow will see if it actually some sort of acne or something even worse.

Anyone else experience such an event?

My booties must be dirty nasty is my thinking

dwarden30

OTF status
Jun 29, 2008
YUCK! Just surfed Hurricane Larry, five days in a row: 3/2 with booties. My left ankle/shin OMG nasty boil looking things on my leg, painful. Going to the Dermatologist tomorrow will see if it actually some sort of acne or something even worse.

Anyone else experience such an event?

My booties must be dirty nasty is my thinking
Be careful. I hope you let the Dermo drain it. Could be a staph/mrsa thing. Booties could have picked up a bacteria from somethin.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
could be bugs.
vac room, wash sheets, if you have compressed air blast your bed frame.

this summer i have been bit...by...gnats, strawberry flies, greenheads, mozzies
and a wasp nailed me while moving trash cans.

October is when the yellow-jackets attack.
can't wait.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Derm feels it is related to booties and based on the culture he did turns out it is mostly an organism that grow on the skin surface = Cutaneous Flora. However he says there are a few colonies of a bug called Pseudomonas; apparently not enough to change the antibiotic I am on unless there is no improvement in the next 24 hours.
-think I will just throw my booties away, I was hoping he would want them to send to a lab to study...ahhh to be a scientist!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Don't chuck 'em yet.

1 Turn booties inside out
2 Wash with laundry soap or dishwasher soap in hot as you can stand water. Wear gloves as those detergents can be irritating.
3 Rinse, soak for a few hours, rinse again, the pour on some hydrogen peroxide, rinse.
4 Dry in sun for a day

Should be ok to wear again. Try to avoid weeing in wetsuit. Let us know if you do this and if it makes a difference.