Tomo MPH

Jan 19, 2018
Thanks for all the tips y'all! Decided to go full wax for now and settle on some traction after I've had the chance to ride it a bit. I've spent the past few days feeling up the QISC, looking at all the pretty colors, and waxing her up, and this morning (the only day I have off) looked like a perfect time to take her out to OB as a 3-5' long-period NW swell was mixing in with some incoming SW.

It was a little bigger and better than I thought it was going to be; it was 5-6' ledging on the inside bar with clean winds. The sand hasn't had much time to settle so most waves were either closeouts or one-turn waves, so I bided my time for a solid one I could take all the way to the beach. About 30 minutes in, a big roll-through set came through and I ducked it right as it wedged up on the bar, my board slipped through my fingers and as it got carried by the wave, I could feel my leash meet resistance... and then release.

For some batshit unlucky reason, my leash had wrapped around both fins and when the wave carried through me, the leash sliced through 1/3 of the entire board. It was a full thickness cut through rails, foam, and the parallel carbon. I literally couldn't believe what I saw when I surfaced; I hadn't caught a single wave on it yet but I had received the worst "ding" in my life (other than a few buckles) on my first brand new board. I'm super fucking bummed and trying to think about the best way to navigate repairs. Since it cut through the QISC, the pessimist in me is worried that even the best repair won't make it feel as the creator intended, but I'm trying to stay hopeful. I might email Javier/Shey to see what they recommend...IMG_1937.jpg

Attachments

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yes! It was the fucking freedom leash! I was thinking that is was able to cut through the glass easily since it has a bit more rigidity than standard nylon leashes... next time I'll know.
no way. check Aruka's post on this other thread

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and waxfoot

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Thanks for all the tips y'all! Decided to go full wax for now and settle on some traction after I've had the chance to ride it a bit. I've spent the past few days feeling up the QISC, looking at all the pretty colors, and waxing her up, and this morning (the only day I have off) looked like a perfect time to take her out to OB as a 3-5' long-period NW swell was mixing in with some incoming SW.

It was a little bigger and better than I thought it was going to be; it was 5-6' ledging on the inside bar with clean winds. The sand hasn't had much time to settle so most waves were either closeouts or one-turn waves, so I bided my time for a solid one I could take all the way to the beach. About 30 minutes in, a big roll-through set came through and I ducked it right as it wedged up on the bar, my board slipped through my fingers and as it got carried by the wave, I could feel my leash meet resistance... and then release.

For some batshit unlucky reason, my leash had wrapped around both fins and when the wave carried through me, the leash sliced through 1/3 of the entire board. It was a full thickness cut through rails, foam, and the parallel carbon. I literally couldn't believe what I saw when I surfaced; I hadn't caught a single wave on it yet but I had received the worst "ding" in my life (other than a few buckles) on my first brand new board. I'm super fucking bummed and trying to think about the best way to navigate repairs. Since it cut through the QISC, the pessimist in me is worried that even the best repair won't make it feel as the creator intended, but I'm trying to stay hopeful. I might email Javier/Shey to see what they recommend...View attachment 116194
Looking back at your post about your first "brand new board" on the previous page and then you don't even catch a wave on it and it's fuggin' pulled from your loving embrace and cruelly lacerated by Mother nature...the sea is an evil mistress sometimes!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

For some batshit unlucky reason, my leash had wrapped around both fins and when the wave carried through me, the leash sliced through 1/3 of the entire board. It was a full thickness cut through rails, foam, and the parallel carbon. I literally couldn't believe what I saw when I surfaced; I hadn't caught a single wave on it yet but I had received the worst "ding" in my life (other than a few buckles) on my first brand new board. I'm super fucking bummed and trying to think about the best way to navigate repairs. Since it cut through the QISC, the pessimist in me is worried that even the best repair won't make it feel as the creator intended, but I'm trying to stay hopeful. I might email Javier/Shey to see what they recommend...View attachment 116194
I'm sure any good ding repair in your area, that's worth his salt, can fix that thing no problem. Jerry at XTR does do an excellent job on the Tomo's. He replaced a fin box on my hydroshort and made sure to sand the channel on the outside rail and middle channel to keep it all tight and perfect. (y)

The question is... did you keep surfing or paddle in? lol.

Looking back at your post about your first "brand new board" on the previous page and then you don't even catch a wave on it and it's fuggin' pulled from your loving embrace and cruelly lacerated by Mother nature...the sea is an evil mistress sometimes!
hahahaha! "The sea is an evil mistress sometimes!" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I saw one on reddit too, cut halfway through his board. Someone is going to get friggun decapitated by a "freedom leash"

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Oh, that sucks! There must be a lesson in there somewhere though...

I've had 2 Freedom Leashes. They are now both stretched out washing lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: waxfoot

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I rode a Tomo today. It was the Tomo fish, whatever it's called. A cool old guy I know has been talking his up for a while so when he offered to trade boards I took him up on it. I think it was the 5-10. It felt like plenty of volume but it was perhaps a little short for me. The waves were clean, waist to chest, kind of soft but fun. I don't know what makes this thing a Fish. It didn't feel very fishy to me. Not that it felt bad, it just didn't have a very wide nose so it lacked the glide that I associate with fishy boards. The first couple waves my rear foot was searching for a tail pad that wasn't there. Seemed like a board that wanted to be driven off the rear foot? Felt like a decent balance of drive to pivot. Maybe even more pivotal and less drivey than I was expecting. It didn't feel tracky like some quads. I think it had the Pyzel quad set in there, not sure what size. By about my 5th or so wave I started to figure it out and got some fun turns. It felt like it would probably be good in slightly juicier waves than what was on offer. There was enough steepness on a few of the waves where I got a pretty decent feel for it. It honestly reminded me of a White Diamond more than just about anything else I can think of.

I'm glad I got a chance to ride a Tomo finally. I know it's like the least Tomo Tomo but, whatever. The tail looks like something off a fighter jet and it's got carbon strips running every which way but it felt pretty normal to me. Like I said I think the 5-10 felt slightly short for my lanky 6-3 self but near the end of the session I think I had adjusted my paddling position forward and it felt like I was getting a little better drive off the first pump. Overall I had fun and I think with a traction pad and some fin experimentation I could probably get on pretty well with the board.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I rode a Tomo today. It was the Tomo fish, whatever it's called. A cool old guy I know has been talking his up for a while so when he offered to trade boards I took him up on it. I think it was the 5-10. It felt like plenty of volume but it was perhaps a little short for me. The waves were clean, waist to chest, kind of soft but fun. I don't know what makes this thing a Fish. It didn't feel very fishy to me. Not that it felt bad, it just didn't have a very wide nose so it lacked the glide that I associate with fishy boards. The first couple waves my rear foot was searching for a tail pad that wasn't there. Seemed like a board that wanted to be driven off the rear foot? Felt like a decent balance of drive to pivot. Maybe even more pivotal and less drivey than I was expecting. It didn't feel tracky like some quads. I think it had the Pyzel quad set in there, not sure what size. By about my 5th or so wave I started to figure it out and got some fun turns. It felt like it would probably be good in slightly juicier waves than what was on offer. There was enough steepness on a few of the waves where I got a pretty decent feel for it. It honestly reminded me of a White Diamond more than just about anything else I can think of.

I'm glad I got a chance to ride a Tomo finally. I know it's like the least Tomo Tomo but, whatever. The tail looks like something off a fighter jet and it's got carbon strips running every which way but it felt pretty normal to me. Like I said I think the 5-10 felt slightly short for my lanky 6-3 self but near the end of the session I think I had adjusted my paddling position forward and it felt like I was getting a little better drive off the first pump. Overall I had fun and I think with a traction pad and some fin experimentation I could probably get on pretty well with the board.
I felt the same way when I rode it. It did not feel like it belonged in the "fish" category. Its not really an "alternative" shape either (IMO) because it has a standard nose and pretty standard outline. Its definitely not a HPSB, so its almost in its own category.

I agree that it needs to be surfed off the back foot. If my foot wasn't far enough back on the board, it would not work for me. It still would go, but harder to get a good turn.

I also found that board to have a very user friendly rocker (similar to the Evo) and good drive and good pivot. Because of the tail shape, I think that board worked well in bigger waves.

Are you thinking about getting one @Aruka ??

Reactions: Aruka

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Those Webber flex twins are a lot of fun for a different feel.
Your post reminded I should try my Futures based set as a quad with the shapers rear fins when waves co-operate. Can't remember where the quad rears in the middle pic come from. The Shapers are close to the Machado Seaside quads but if memory serves a longer base and less height. Bottom pic is the usual quads I run.
20210921_071126.jpg20210921_071035.jpg20210921_070853.jpg

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
NICE! @Retropete
I've never mixed these with quad rears, but I might now that I've seen what you've done. That looks like a lot of fun... and yes - the Webber fins mix things up for sure. I love the projection and flex feeling.

Waves have been slopey and crumbly but have some push so these felt great today.

Reactions: Retropete

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Are you thinking about getting one @Aruka ??
If I find one used in a good size for me I would buy one. Either the El Tomo or maybe an Evo or something. One of the smallish wave ones that I could ride here and maybe take to Baja if it clicks for me. Being a tall person surfing in the PNW I don't feel like I'm the target audience for Tomo boards. Paddle power is too important here.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
If I find one used in a good size for me I would buy one. Either the El Tomo or maybe an Evo or something. One of the smallish wave ones that I could ride here and maybe take to Baja if it clicks for me. Being a tall person surfing in the PNW I don't feel like I'm the target audience for Tomo boards. Paddle power is too important here.
$700 is a little steep for a used board, but oddly, this sounds like i might be your size. https://offerup.com/item/detail/1277168874?q=tomo

If you size them small they can be a bitch to paddle. But I don't necessarily think all models lack paddle power - because of the wide tail and predominantly rectangular outline.