Leash recs

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Had some head high waves yesterday and my leash finally failed. Any suggestions on best brands and/or what to avoid? Just standard shortboard use. Not planning on appearing in the next season of 100 foot wave.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Had some head high waves yesterday and my leash finally failed. Any suggestions on best brands and/or what to avoid? Just standard shortboard use. Not planning on appearing in the next season of 100 foot wave.
Crow Haley all daily

Reactions: Woke AF

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
+1 on crow haley if you see one around. surfing mostly beachbreak during the winter I ditch a ton and that one lasts the longest by far. It doesn't have the little metal swivel that wears out and pops

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
dakine, creatures, have an ocean earth with a built in leash string :eek: that goes good

I would pay $200 for a leash that doesn't ever get wrapped around my feet when I stand up.
don't store it wrapped around the board or coiled. let it go straight once in a while, I know it's challenging for your ilk ;)

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Razor wire leash is pretty rad. Keeps the kelp from tangling around and the groms from pulling you back off the wave. I have a patent pending. Seriously though, smart leash sells replacement parts so you don't have to replace the entire leash.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
da kine, ci, creatures are all fine. just steer clear of the FCS freedom leash or the new da kine one that's like 50 bucks and not as good as the standard leashes.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
da kine, ci, creatures are all fine. just steer clear of the FCS freedom leash or the new da kine one that's like 50 bucks and not as good as the standard leashes.
New dakine leash with the golfball style divots and super velcro was a no go for me after I used it a couple times. Always liked and still use creatures. For leashes and tail pads.
don't store it wrapped around the board or coiled. let it go straight once in a while, I know it's challenging for your ilk ;)
Unlike my leash, I'm about 85% straight. I do wrap it around the tail of the board though, I'm sure thats part of the problem.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Do you plan on using it during high tide or low tide?
Obviously it is not necessary to use a leash at low tide. The water is shallow so I can walk to the beach if I lose my board. It is only necessary at high tide when the water is over my head.

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Obviously it is not necessary to use a leash at low tide. The water is shallow so I can walk to the beach if I lose my board. It is only necessary at high tide when the water is over my head.
Opposite of here. High tide it's up on the sand ledge, low tide it's out the back. But at low tide, the board washes in to the trough and sits there at the edge of the sandbar.

Sunrise has Creatures and DaKines; I get whatever comp leash is the least neon. I blacklisted OAM about 20 years ago and I shy away from FCS. YMMV.