How Not to Park Your Boat

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
This kinda cracks me up. The new van life?

Lol.

I like the reaction from people who live in houses by the water. "Hey, that's cheating, that person can't stay here. What about the, safety, and, er, environment? Yeah!" Says a person 100% only concerned with someone else getting for free what they paid a bunch of money for :roflmao:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Just the other day I am cruising out at idle speed to go fish for papios and drink beer and this 25 foot sailboat overtakes me and comes within 1-2 ft of my boat forcing me to hit the throttle and move.

I yell at them wtf and they yell at me that they are in a sailboat and have right away (They don't. COLREGS are VERY CLEAR).

Seems tons of sailboats think they got carte blanch of right of way when in fact they don't/
Uh, yes they do have the right of way.
If they are under sail power.

I find that they are way more power boat owners who don't know the rules of the road.

I mean I wouldn't argue with a tanker if I'm sailing but for a small fishing boat not to get out of the way of the sailing vessel is poor form.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Uh, yes they do have the right of way.
If they are under sail power.

I find that they are way more power boat owners who don't know the rules of the road.
Seems you need to review yourself and thanks for providing me the perfect example of a sailboat owner who thinks they they have right away by virtue of being under sail power.

The Overtaking Situation
two vessels in an overtaking situation

Any vessel overtaking any other vessel must keep out the way of the vessel being overtaken. The former is the give-way vessel and the latter is the stand-on vessel.

This rule applies even if the overtaking vessel is propelled by wind, oars, or rubber band paddlewheel.

A vessel is deemed to be overtaking when coming up with another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft (behind) her beam. This is the angle prescribed by the stern light.

At night, the overtaking vessel will see only the white stern light of the vessel being overtaken. If you see either side light, it is a crossing situation

Reactions: Muscles and wedge2

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Seems you need to review yourself and thanks for providing me the perfect example of a sailboat owner who thinks they they have right away by virtue of being under sail power.

The Overtaking Situation

Any vessel overtaking any other vessel must keep out the way of the vessel being overtaken. The former is the give-way vessel and the latter is the stand-on vessel.

This rule applies even if the overtaking vessel is propelled by wind, oars, or rubber band paddlewheel.

A vessel is deemed to be overtaking when coming up with another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft (behind) her beam. This is the angle prescribed by the stern light.

At night, the overtaking vessel will see only the white stern light of the vessel being overtaken. If you see either side light, it is a crossing situation
if I remember correctly, there are also rules for sailboats as it relates to the wind in that the overtaking boat cannot block the wind of the stand-on vessel and must overtake on the side that will not disturb their current tack

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
if I remember correctly, there are also rules for sailboats as it relates to the wind in that the overtaking boat cannot block the wind of the stand-on vessel and must overtake on the side that will not disturb their current tack
Correct

Sailboats seem to think it’s a free pass due to the wind power

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012

The Overtaking Situation
No no no. The sailboat (green) is supposed to ram the powerboat, get pissed and then try to sue:ban:

• Love
Reactions: bluemarlin04

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

The Overtaking Situation

Okay I missed the part where they were overtaking you. Apologies.

Still, it's way easier to touch the throttle and let them go by than insist for them to tack or do a ton of manouvering because you don't have to give way.

I generally don't press the right of way even when I have it, unless it's more dangerous to manouver than stay the course.

Common sense and courtesy should always prevail.

Cheers.